Vortex VIP Warranty Repair Is Not Ready for Prime Time.

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
samnev
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Vortex VIP Warranty Repair Is Not Ready for Prime Time.

Post by samnev »

I bought a Vortex Viper 5-25X50 FFP EBR-7C MRAD from Sport Optics0n June 2, 2022. When I received it the illuminated reticle did no work. Battery was DOA. Replace it with the spare battery it came with. Illumination worked for a little over 3 weeks and illumination did not work once again. Replaced it with a brand new Lithium 2032 battery. Once again lasted a little over 3 weeks. Sent to back to Vortex they repaired it on June 15 and I got it back Jun 16th.Tech report said Replaced illumination chip and battery. Ran several more tests not related to illumination problem. It is now 25 days since the repair was made (just little over 3 weeks again ) and the battery is dead again. To say I'm unhappy would be a vast understatement. Last time I ever buy a Vortex scope. Tomorrow i'lll contact them again and tell them I want a new scope as thy seem to be unable to repair this one. :angry-cussingblack:
Am I being unreasonable?
Last edited by samnev on July 10th, 2022, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Vortex VIP Warranty Repair Is Not Ready for Prime Time.

Post by AZ_Five56 »

samnev wrote: July 10th, 2022, 3:05 pm Am I being unreasonable?
Maybe just a little. It seems like they made a good faith effort to fix the problem. I wouldn't cut them off just yet. See how they handle it when you reach back out to them.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

How long is the battery supposed to last? I don't see it noted in the literature anywhere. Are you just leaving it on like a red dot?

The illuminated Vortex I have killed a battery when I left it on just sitting in the safe.
Winmagbill

Post by Winmagbill »

Are you leaving it on all the time or turning it off for 3 weeks and then it's dead?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I don’t think the illuminated scopes are designed to be left on, if that is what you are doing. A cursory Google search results in a battery life of only a few hours on the max brightness setting.

Seems like Vortex had taken care of you so far…I wouldn’t be angry at them yet.
samnev

Post by samnev »

Winmagbill wrote: July 10th, 2022, 3:28 pm Are you leaving it on all the time or turning it off for 3 weeks and then it's dead?
Absolutely not. I check it every time I shut it off. I check the OFF Index mark and then look thru the scope and as a double check to make sure the reticle illumination is off. Especially since I've played this game before and I ALWAYS checked it to make sure the illumination is off. I've had illuminated scopes for over 30 years starting with my first NightForce NXS scope and have never had this problem with any other scope.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Vortex has always made good on the warranty from what Ive seen and experienced. I would get back with them and let them know the issue is still present and see what happens before writing them off.
samnev

Post by samnev »

rockbronco wrote: July 11th, 2022, 9:57 am Vortex has always made good on the warranty from what Ive seen and experienced. I would get back with them and let them know the issue is still present and see what happens before writing them off.
Well I contacted Tony Wilson @ Vortex CS this morning.They are replacing the scope which is very nice of them. Joy rapture. I wish they could have give me a refund. For all the bad things that have been reading here about the scope failures it seems they have a great customer service for a good reason. I wish I had spent a little more coin and gotten a Burris XTRIII. I have several XTR II's and the have preformed flawlessly.
G34

Post by G34 »

Then sell it!
These are great scopes. Illumination serves no purpose anyways on a precision rifle.
samnev

Post by samnev »

samnev wrote: July 11th, 2022, 10:20 am
rockbronco wrote: July 11th, 2022, 9:57 am Vortex has always made good on the warranty from what Ive seen and experienced. I would get back with them and let them know the issue is still present and see what happens before writing them off.
Well I contacted Tony Wilson @ Vortex CS this morning.They are replacing the scope which is very nice of them. Joy rapture. I wish they could have give me a refund. For all the bad things that have been reading here about the scope failures it seems they have a great customer service for a good reason. I wish I had spent a little more coin and gotten a Burris XTRIII. I have several XTR II's and the have preformed flawlessly.
UPDATE
After UPS lost the 1st replacement scope Vortex sent out another Viper PST Gen II. It's been on my AR for 1 1/2 months now and it's working fine. :clap:
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Good to hear
kawgomoo
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by kawgomoo »

all this china s*** is laughable. i dont care how many people swear by it. primary/holosun/vortex are just all pure crap. Sad part is theyve taken so much market share from the actual optics manufactures, theres nothing much left but this larper airsoft dogshit.
Brlux

Post by Brlux »

Great optics, I have unfortunately been disappointed in the electronics in side their scopes. My Vortex red dots use a very low frequency PWM dimming scheme which results in a flickering dot that just looks weird when moving the dot around. A higher frequency PWM or current source drive would have fixed this.

My friend has a Vortes Spitfire 1x prizm scope with 1AAA and led illumination. It is always dead from sitting with the backlight off for a few months. That's a feat to kill a AAA in a few months when not in use. Their electrical design seems very amateurish.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Brlux wrote: July 6th, 2023, 10:25 pm
My friend has a Vortes Spitfire 1x prizm scope with 1AAA and led illumination. It is always dead from sitting with the backlight off for a few months. That's a feat to kill a AAA in a few months when not in use. Their electrical design seems very amateurish.
Interesting. I have two on these on range guns and they last for much longer then that, Now that I think about it I have only changed a battery just recently and Ive owned both for quite some time.

I wish I could afford a USA made optic on every rifle but that does not make alot of sense sometimes. My go too stuff has high end optics them but even then Ive had to send something in for a repair too
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

I only have a Vortex range finder that I bought recently. I'll check it every few weeks to see if the battery lasts or not. I know people that hunt with Vortex scopes and love them. I almost bought one of their LPVO scopes but went with a Primary Arms instead.