MOA vs MIL

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Lobo2087
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: MOA vs MIL

Post by Lobo2087 »

For precision i would disagree mils is better than moa. I am primarily moa and understand it. I am having a hard time comprehending mil but from my understanding it takes 4 .25 clicks at 100 to move 1" but it takes 10 clicks to to move that same " in mils. That alone makes mil more precise than moa.

That said I agree with the range card thing. Set a range card for your weapon and you are good as long as you are using same ammunition, same bc, same sd, same fps and same grain. Change any of that and the math changes.

There are some good shooting calculator aps, strelok and hornady for a couple examples which can help with quick dope math.

TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Lobo2087 wrote: April 4th, 2022, 8:04 am For precision i would disagree mils is better than moa. I am primarily moa and understand it. I am having a hard time comprehending mil but from my understanding it takes 4 .25 clicks at 100 to move 1" but it takes 10 clicks to to move that same " in mils. That alone makes mil more precise than moa.

That said I agree with the range card thing. Set a range card for your weapon and you are good as long as you are using same ammunition, same bc, same sd, same fps and same grain. Change any of that and the math changes.

There are some good shooting calculator aps, strelok and hornady for a couple examples which can help with quick dope math.
1 mil at 100 yards is 3.6 inches (10cm at 100 meters), so roughly 3 clicks on a .1 mil turret compared to 4 on a .25 smoa. How the turrets are set up doesn’t make one system “more precise” than another.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Thanks for that explanation as I said my understanding of mils is minimal
C172 Heavy

Post by C172 Heavy »

Here's why I like a Mil/Mil scope. I can see either the impact or splash of my round, use the Mil scale to figure out the dope to dial in the correction on my turrets. No math involved, missed low 1.5 mils then dial in 1.5 mils up. A coworker had a Mil/MOA scope and he always struggled to make corrections if he had to dial in corrections based on his reticle or my calls from the Mil reticle spotting scope. Holds no problem, but god forbid he wanted to dial in the correction. He was taking off his boots and socks to help with the math!