MOA vs MIL

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Azgunlover69
ArizonaShooting.org Member

MOA vs MIL

Post by Azgunlover69 »

Ok I've searched back thru this forum and am not seeing much on this debate. I have both but haven't got into much detail learning the differences yet. I'm in the market for another 1-2 optics and want some solid PERSONAL pros and cons of moa vs mil.
I am setting up a 308 for hunting so which type would fit that better?
I'm also setting up a long range 308 to reach out to 1000yds, mil or moa better for that?
Finally, would you stick with all mil or all moa for every rifle or does purpose of the rifle dictate which type you use?

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: MOA vs MIL

Post by AZ_Five56 »

For clarification, how far out do you plan to be hunting with the first rifle you mentioned and what are you looking to hunt for? Most people that I know aren't hunting at ranges where this is hugely relevant.

G34

Post by G34 »

i prefer MRADS. thats what most of the PRS guys ran when i started competing so i stayed with it. they are both just units of measurement. one is not any better then another
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

AZ_Five56 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:14 am For clarification, how far out do you plan to be hunting with the first rifle you mentioned and what are you looking to hunt for? Most people that I know aren't hunting at ranges where this is hugely relevant.

Hunting deer mostly, maybe elk again in the future. Max I really want to shoot is 400yds cuzb gotta pack it out, but mostly 100-250yds where we hunt is typical.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

I use both, but as G34 posted, "one is not any better then another"
Once you set up your rifle and scope and fill out your data card or (DOPE) for that rifle, you'll just turn your knobs to correspond to the distance on your data card and shoot.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Much easier to count and do math on a base-10 system like Mil/MRAD.
samnev

Post by samnev »

The video was done very well.
stomp442

Post by stomp442 »

For target shooting anything besides steel plates I prefer the MOA system simply because its a finer adjustment. 1/4 MOA is roughly 1/4" at 100 yards one MIL is roughly 1/3" of an inch at 100. Out to 400 yards no big deal both will work great. Push things further out say 1000 yards on smaller targets than steel plates there is a possibility when using MIL that a one click adjustment may cause you to shoot over or under the desired target or high or low on target rather than center. Both systems work the same but I prefer the MOA especially when hunting just because of the finer adjustment. That's just me, and I am probably in the minority on that. But I don't shoot FFP scopes or anything else tacticool either.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

For the purpose of hunting, If I'm taking a shot at a deer or elk out to 300 yards, I'll just add a bit of approximated holdover, and there isn't a whole lot of difference if zeroing at 200 yards. That's just me though, so the MOA vs MIL wouldn't matter to me on that kind of gun personally. If is it still important to you, I would go with the same on both guns personally.

As QuietM4 said, Mil is base-10, and MOA has more fine-tune adjustment as stomp442 said if that's more important to you. There are some MOA scopes that even have 1/8 MOA adjustment, so that would offer more fine adjustment for the long-range shooting. That might be something to consider for you.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My personal opinion is that if you are new to scopes and have little to no experience, go with MRAD - it's easier to learn. Inexperienced people tend to think of MOA as linear measurements when it should be thought of as angular for both MOA and MRAD. The base-10 MRAD is easier to understand from net zero.

However, either one will work - just make sure the adjustments and reticle match; avoid something like MOA adjustments and a MIL/MRAD reticle. Finally, it pays to pick one and standardize on it - no need to get some that are MOA and others that are MIL/MRAD.

My $0.02 anyway.
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

That's my issue right now. I have about 10-15 scopes currently and all different types and trying to get to a standardized type and setup.
freefly

Post by freefly »

admin wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 6:56 pm My personal opinion is that if you are new to scopes and have little to no experience, go with MRAD - it's easier to learn. Inexperienced people tend to think of MOA as linear measurements when it should be thought of as angular for both MOA and MRAD. The base-10 MRAD is easier to understand from net zero.

However, either one will work - just make sure the adjustments and reticle match; avoid something like MOA adjustments and a MIL/MRAD reticle. Finally, it pays to pick one and standardize on it - no need to get some that are MOA and others that are MIL/MRAD.

My $0.02 anyway.
^^^ This.
freefly

Post by freefly »

stomp442 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:55 am For target shooting anything besides steel plates I prefer the MOA system simply because its a finer adjustment. 1/4 MOA is roughly 1/4" at 100 yards one MIL is roughly 1/3" of an inch at 100.
Just to clarify:

1 MIL = 3.6" @ 100Y. However, you are not going to find any scopes with 1 MIL turrets (just as you are not going to find any with 3 MOA turrets). The most common MRAD turrets are going to be 0.1 MIL, which is 0.36" @ 100Y. However, there are several quality scopes available with 0.05 MIL turrets, which equates to 0.18" @ 100Y (finer than 1/4 MOA). So IOW, the "fineness" of adjustment is determined by the specific scope/turrets. :handgestures-thumbup:
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

learned and shot both for many many years

;o)

Last edited by TheJediknight on February 3rd, 2022, 6:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
stomp442

Post by stomp442 »

freefly wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 11:33 pm
stomp442 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:55 am For target shooting anything besides steel plates I prefer the MOA system simply because its a finer adjustment. 1/4 MOA is roughly 1/4" at 100 yards one MIL is roughly 1/3" of an inch at 100.
Just to clarify:

1 MIL = 3.6" @ 100Y. However, you are not going to find any scopes with 1 MIL turrets (just as you are not going to find any with 3 MOA turrets). The most common MRAD turrets are going to be 0.1 MIL, which is 0.36" @ 100Y. However, there are several quality scopes available with 0.05 MIL turrets, which equates to 0.18" @ 100Y (finer than 1/4 MOA). So IOW, the "fineness" of adjustment is determined by the specific scope/turrets. :handgestures-thumbup:
Exactly correct. I didn't mean to say one MIL.