Red dot recommendation for Mossberg 930SPX

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Azbuilder
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Red dot recommendation for Mossberg 930SPX

Post by Azbuilder »

Looking for recommendations on a red dot for a Mossberg 930 SPX. Love the gun with the stock sights, but want to move up to a red dot for it.

Harrier

Re: Red dot recommendation for Mossberg 930SPX

Post by Harrier »

I put one of those cheap tru-glo reflex sights (it has red/green dots) on mine like this...

TruGlo Reflex
These are much faster than looking thru a red dot sight (When you say red-dot I think of the scope-tube type.)

I was bustin clays from the get-go heh heh
Azbuilder

Post by Azbuilder »

Thanks, I have a reflex on another shotgun, but I guess I was over thinking that some thing more sexy would be the answer!
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

For what purpose? Home defense, slugs, clays?

I've had red dots on shotguns in the past (Benelli M4), but it's a little overkill. You don't aim a shotgun at a target, you point it at the target...let the shot do the rest. The largest benefit to me was being able to raise my cheek weld higher to be more comfortable shooting it, similar to an AR-15.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

QuietM4 wrote: July 15th, 2018, 12:13 pm For what purpose? Home defense, slugs, clays?

I've had red dots on shotguns in the past (Benelli M4), but it's a little overkill. You don't aim a shotgun at a target, you point it at the target...let the shot do the rest. The largest benefit to me was being able to raise my cheek weld higher to be more comfortable shooting it, similar to an AR-15.
I was wondering the same thing. To me, it seems like a red dot would be a bit overkill unless you were using slugs at longer distances? I guess a reflex site might be better, but I am wondering what the goal is for having it.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Red Dots,... did a lot of research, for a very long time, and came up with a few conclusions.

First, I think ( FOR THE MONEY) the Bushnell Trophy-TRS-25 can't be beat. Lately, I have seen them for less than $75. I had one for over ten years, it never failed me and I only changed the battery out once.

But, I always felt the view / lens / access would be better with some of the larger lens examples. I always wanted to get a C-MORE OPTIC, but as I was going to drop the hammer on one, I realized my vision limitation and moved on.

Which brings up another point of my research history. If you suffer ( like I do ) from astigmatism, REFLEX DOTS are always blurred. The only way out of that is to get a PRISM RED DOT. I don't know why, or how it works out that way, but it does. Just something you may want to keep in the back of your mind.

And while I am at it, DOT SIZE is critical to mission. Large dots are great (imo) on pistols /close quarter work,... but, worthless for long distance. Any dot larger than 2 moa, (imo) is worthless past 50 yards. I have searched and searched for a 1 moa dot for very long distance shooting, but have never found one offered in a RED DOT. But, I was lucky enough to find one in an adjustable high power rifle scope.

That's all I got, hope it helps!
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I don't know, but perhaps if you are used to shooting an AR with a reflex both eyes open, it would be the same with the shotgun... I mean how many sight a shotgun bead with both eyes open? Then there is the comment about slugs which would be another valid reason likely to be used in current scenarios...
James1979

Post by James1979 »

I really like the Meprolight M21B. The bullseye reticle I'd awesome for a shotgun, it is always on, no batteries. Auto brightness due to the fiber optics. Yes it is pricey, but it is solid as heck.
Flash

Post by Flash »

shooter444 wrote: August 12th, 2018, 9:30 am Which brings up another point of my research history. If you suffer ( like I do ) from astigmatism, REFLEX DOTS are always blurred. The only way out of that is to get a PRISM RED DOT. I don't know why, or how it works out that way, but it does. Just something you may want to keep in the back of your mind.

That's interesting as I have astigmatism in both eyes, not a lot but it's there, and as long as I'm wearing my prescription glasses, the reflex red dots are never blurred unless I turn the illumination up very high and then it does become blurred.

Mrs. Flash is the same as me and doesn't see it blurred either so it makes me wonder if it's dependent on the amount of astigmatism or perhaps whether or not the prescription lenses some people wear aren't adequate for their astigtmatism.

Edited to add: Found a pretty good article about it that probably explains what's going on with me. I told my Optometrist that I was a shooter and she is too, so perhaps she fixed things for me without my knowledge.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... tigmatism/

So, you think you have an astigmatism, what now?
1.Go to the optometrist and bring your sight with you. Explain to your doctor, or even draw, the reticle pattern you see when looking though your sight uncorrected.
2.Get polarized, corrected sunglasses for daylight shooting.
3.Try before you buy. Even with a proper prescription you may still have some distortion. Visit a dealer or find a friend who will let you use their sights.
4.Maybe a RDS or HWS is not the right choice for you. There are several manufacturers of high-quality prismatic optics both with and without magnification.
5.Try the rear BUIS trick. Can you live with that option?
6.Focus on the target and not the dot.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hey Flash,

You caught me and reminded me,... I don't wear my glasses when I shoot.
I don't have much if any blurring as well when I wear them, like you,... glad you brought it up.

With a Prism/Etched type reticle, I have no blurring without glasses.
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

I put a burris fast fire 3 on my 930 just to try it and didn't care for it. Too small for my liking. Needed something little larger IMO but smaller than a eotech
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Sharky wrote: February 27th, 2019, 11:25 am I put a burris fast fire 3 on my 930 just to try it and didn't care for it. Too small for my liking. Needed something little larger IMO but smaller than a eotech

Very interesting,.. I find small red dots more functional by not obstructing my peripheral vision on secondary targets.

I have installed a SEE ALL NIGHT SIGHT on my Marlin444 rifle, and find it very serviceable,...

... it replaces iron sights, imo, giving me the very best peripheral vision on secondary targets I have found, day and night.

I guess this is why there are a multitude of illuminated sight offerings.
furhntr

Post by furhntr »

I have a fast fire on my shotgun and it doesn't miss. I would recommend it. Right now we have a buy a Burris fixed 3X or 5X and get a free fastfire, that's is a deal that is hard to beat. If you are interested shoot me a message and I will give a 5% discount code to all forum members.
Take a peak
3x:
https://www.martinarmsaz.com/shop/optic ... dot-sight/
5X:
https://www.martinarmsaz.com/shop/optic ... t-sight-2/
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Agreed, I have had my Burris Fast Fire III on a marlin444, 308win, 223rem AR, and now it sits on a 45 pistol. It has never failed me in all the years I have had it.

But, I do find it more user friendly on a long gun,... especially on a scout forward mount set up.