Range Finders

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Range Finders

Post by Flash »

I only use a range finder when varmint hunting and when improving my skills with guessing ranges.

I may be in the minority here.

Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Flash wrote: July 9th, 2018, 11:09 am I only use a range finder when varmint hunting and when improving my skills with guessing ranges.

I may be in the minority here.
What is the difference between using a range finder for varmint hunting vs hunting anything else ?
You are still using it for hunting are you not , or am I missing something here ?
lew

Post by lew »

Apparently, "varmint hunting" is not the same as "actual hunting".
redj

Post by redj »

In varmint hunting you need to know your range.
When hunting other species you just lob bullets at them and hope one hits because using range finders and scopes according to some people is not hunting.
Flash

Post by Flash »

lew wrote: July 10th, 2018, 10:27 am Apparently, "varmint hunting" is not the same as "actual hunting".
No, it isn't. In regular hunting you're getting as close as possible and doing a one shot humane kill if at all possible.

In varmint hunting, I'm doing long range sniping as I can't see sneaking up on ground squirrels or coyotes or things of that nature.

Ever notice that Military snipers always use a rangefinder these days?
redj

Post by redj »

Flash wrote: July 11th, 2018, 11:29 am
lew wrote: July 10th, 2018, 10:27 am Apparently, "varmint hunting" is not the same as "actual hunting".
No, it isn't. In regular hunting you're getting as close as possible and doing a one shot humane kill if at all possible.

In varmint hunting, I'm doing long range sniping as I can't see sneaking up on ground squirrels or coyotes or things of that nature.

So you are saying that humane kills do not apply to coyotes , ground squirrels and things of that nature ?
How do you decide what animals are worthy of a humane kill and what animals are not ?

I was always in the belief that all Gods creatures should be dispatched as humanely as possible regardless of the species.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

redj wrote: July 8th, 2018, 9:12 am Let me guess.
All a real hunter needs is a sharp stick and a rock.
What's a 'sharp stick' ???

A lot of people live in towns and cities and don't develop the skill of estimating ranges so the RF is a tool to help them reduce the number of wounded animals dying in the bush... I would think using a range finder would help insure a humane kill because the smart shooter would have the knowledge to figure his drop better... they're gonna try that long shot anyway...

Now if your talking hunting with bow/arrow or spear then yes I can't see the use for one...
Flash

Post by Flash »

redj wrote: July 11th, 2018, 12:07 pm

So you are saying that humane kills do not apply to coyotes , ground squirrels and things of that nature ?
How do you decide what animals are worthy of a humane kill and what animals are not ?

I was always in the belief that all Gods creatures should be dispatched as humanely as possible regardless of the species.
You definitely like putting words in my mouth don't you?

I won't play your game, so I'm done.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Well, they were your words.

Az isn't Texas, or the midwest/east coast. So, bigger game 75 yard shots aren't the norm. 2-300y, sure.

If you're some how saying that a range finder IS needed on small varmint at the same distance that it IS NOT needed on a deer because the "boiler room" of a deer is the size of a prairie dog, maybe...

An inch one way or the other might not be a problem on an elk, but miss on a squirrel by an inch...
redj

Post by redj »

Flash wrote: July 13th, 2018, 12:41 pm
redj wrote: July 11th, 2018, 12:07 pm

You definitely like putting words in my mouth don't you?

I won't play your game, so I'm done.
I am not putting words in your mouth.
Your exact words were
" No, it isn't. In regular hunting you're getting as close as possible and doing a one shot humane kill if at all possible. "

What I get out of this is that in what you call " regular hunting " you need a " one shot humane kill if at all possible. "
But you don't do " regular hunting " , so a humane one shot kill doesn't matter.

Could you please clarify what the difference is between regular hunting and varmint hunting and why a one shot humane kill is good for regular hunting and not for varmint hunting ?

I am just trying to understand the logic here and it doesn't make sense.