Pistol Red Dot Option

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
azdover
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Pistol Red Dot Option

Post by azdover »

Bought a Holosun HS507C-X2-ACSS with as Vulcan reticle to try on my Shadow Systems G19 clone. I think this is only available from Primary Arms since I couldn't find it on the Holosun website. It has a 10 MOA chevron as an aiming reference centered in a 250 MOA circle. The nice thing about the reticle is the circle helps you center the sight. If the chevron isn't in the sight's field of view I can usually see a portion of the circle. Just move the muzzle towards the part of the circle that's visible and the chevron shows up. It's a little easier to use than a Trijicon RMR, at least for me.

I did have a minor issue finding any part of the reticle if my arms were fully extended - I've got arms like an orangoutang. If I flexed my arms slightly, I was able to pick up part of the circle. I've added a couple of pictures just to give you an idea. I also attached some pictures of a Trijicon SRO on a G17 clone for comparison purposes. It's easier to center the dot with the SRO since it has a larger FOV.

Just an idea if you're considering a red dot on a pistol.
Pete

Holosun with arms fully extended

Holosun with arms partially flexed

Trijicon with arms fully extended

Trijicon with arms partially flexed

YNOTAZ

Re: Pistol Red Dot Option

Post by YNOTAZ »

Hmmmm,
That is the entire purpose of the 250 MOA circle is not to see it. The primary problem people have when first using a red do or under pressure is finding the aiming point, be it a dot or a chevron. The 250 MOA circle is intended to help you determine, quickly, which direction you are off in.

I think you are looking for the circle as an aiming point and that is not the intended use.

Hmmmm,
that is the entire purpose of the 250 MOA circle is not to see it. The primary problem people have when first using a red do or under pressure is finding the aiming point, be it a dot or a chevron. The 250 MOA circle is intended to help you determine, quickly, which direction you are off in.
I think you are looking for the circle as an aiming point and that is not the intended use.

azdover

Post by azdover »

I understand the concept and like it. I find it easier and faster to pick up the Holosun chevron than it is to pick up the Trijicon RMR dot, which has a similar size sight window. I found occasionally that I couldn't see either the chevron or part of the circle if the gun was pointed a little high with my arms fully extended. Bending my arms slightly brought the gun and sight a little closer to my eyes and made it easy to pick up the circle if the chevron wasn't in the FOV. I don't think most people with normal size, non-simian length arms should have any problems picking up part of the 250 MOA circle. I included the second picture as an example of how much of the circle you could see if you held your gun closer than normal - sort of like holding nose to charging handle on an AR except you run the risk of getting punched in the nose by your slide. Then, you might also see some stars in addition to the chevron. :confusion-seeingstars:
azdover

Post by azdover »

Quick update. After the first range trip, the 250 MOA noticeably speeds up finds the chevron if it's not in the sight FOV when you first present the weapon. But I noticed the ejection pattern was now erratic. Previously, the pattern was very consistent when I was using a Trijicon RMR. I checked the extractor and noticed it was not moving freely. Turns out the same right mounting screw that I used before on the RMR was a little too long and causing the extractor plunger to bind. Guess the screw mounting holes on the Holosun are a little deeper than the ones on the RMR. Couple of swipes with a file and everything was good again. Moral of the story, check your red dot mounting screw lengths to make sure they aren't interfering with anything in the slide. To the gun's credit, it still fed and ejected with no problems despite the binding extractor.