Red dot suggestions please

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Lallen
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Red dot suggestions please

Post by Lallen »

Good Morning.
I am looking to buy my first red dot for a FN 509 compact. I’m proficient on three dot iron sights and would like to learn on red dot now. Any suggestions on which red dot would go well with this firearm and for a new red dot shooter? Thank you.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Red dot suggestions please

Post by XJThrottle »

Also interested for when my GST-9 finally arrives.
Winmagbill
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Winmagbill »

Why do you want to use a RDS? Personally I would stay with irons, if I could: Nothing to fail, no batteries to replace, no extra cost, no extra bulk, no issues with astigmatism or colors, no delicate lens that needs to be protected and cleaned, no new learning curve. I use them because I can’t see the irons and the target at the same time. Once I started shooting RDS I wanted/needed all my guns to have them. It is just enough of a different shooting style, for me, that it’s one or the other. Switching between them slowes me down and impacts my accuracy. if my eye sight was good I wouldn’t switch. Now I have pistols that are basically obsolete unless I upgrade them. Really takes the shine off of buying a new pistol to.

I would say try them out first. Look at 2 vs 6 Moa dots vs combo reticle. If it’s about just speed then 6 moa works great. For fast and better accuracy use the combo reticle ( 65moa circle with 2 moa dot) If you are looking for bullseyes the 2 moa. If this is a range toy then I wouldn’t worry about back up irons. If not definitely get irons that cowitness. I had a battery cap that flew off, my fault but I would have bet money and potentially my life it was good to go. Had mount screws that were locktighted loosen up and lost my POA instantly ; one round on target the next completely off the target. Lost a mounting screw that Loosened up and just disappeared while shooting. I’m not saying I forgot to use locktight on it but will admit it’s a possibility. The other 3 stayed tight and I never lost zero so a win! Had a newish battery that drained down while shooting until I couldn’t see the dot in the daylight. Technically it didn’t fail, but not very useful. Don’t buy the cheap Amazon batteries.
lostdog99

Post by lostdog99 »

Yup. Love my Trijicon RMR.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

You guys have the gen 1 or gen 2 RMR?
SecretV

Post by SecretV »

https://www.youtube.com/user/SageDynamics
Boat loads of RDS content. Reviews and torture tests. If you want Made in the USA the RMR is the only option you have. If you don't care Holosun seem to do well on the tests. There's also that new fangled Aimpoint ACRO. You can always get suppressor height backup sights and Knight's Armament makes flip up pistol sites specifically for use with RDS. Not all suppressor height sites will clear the base of an RDS so try to find an example of someone using the combo you choose to go with or go to a local place to get an idea of how well your particular combo will work.
AZGlock21

Post by AZGlock21 »

I am sold on RDS on handguns. Took me quite a while to "give into" the trend but now there is no denying how great they are. I have had a number of models but the only legit option for a carry pistol is the Trijicon RMR. Personally the Type 2 RM06 3.25 Adjustable LED is the one for me. It's like the Red Sauce commercial, I put that s*&t on everything.
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

The dot itself would be a matter of personal preference. If you're gonna go RMR then go with the Type 2 like mentioned. For a new red dot shooter, the new holosun that has the large ring you can only see when the reticle is misaligned, might be a good idea. I forget what the model # is.
AZGlock21

Post by AZGlock21 »

AZ1182 wrote: January 24th, 2021, 4:41 pm
AZGlock21 wrote: January 24th, 2021, 12:05 pm I am sold on RDS on handguns. Took me quite a while to "give into" the trend but now there is no denying how great they are. I have had a number of models but the only legit option for a carry pistol is the Trijicon RMR. Personally the Type 2 RM06 3.25 Adjustable LED is the one for me. It's like the Red Sauce commercial, I put that s*&t on everything.
There are no absolutes and for some people they are not great at all. That's a fact actually but as always, your mileage may vary.

I'm one of those people that find red dots to be useless on my handguns. I know from personal experiences. Life goes on. I'm very okay with that.
Cool story bro. You do you.
Medjay

Post by Medjay »

Had RMR's on carbines and one on a work pistol but never had really had the chance to dive into a red dot on a carry pistol before. Took part in a class today (amazing conditions lol) and not only learned a TON about the pros/cons, but with the instruction and support from the staff I'm hooked. I shot my new Holosun from concealed and even though it took a little more time initially to "find it", once I got a more consistent presentation down the hits came much easier. Whole class had a wide variety of options, everyone got better and faster.

Bottom line; if your fundamentals are solid the dot is a value add in a variety of situations. If your fundamentals suck the dot will tell you and force you to make them better in order to really leverage the advantages of the tool.
AR-15Man

Post by AR-15Man »

The new hotness is the ACSS Vulcan from primary arms and Holosun. It has a massive outer ring that is invisible is you are on target but will show you if you are off target. Deals with the issue of finding the dot on handguns.

Attachments
ACSS-Vulcan-Reticle-Diagram--1024x320.jpg
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

There are very few red dots out there that aren't made in China.
AR-15Man

Post by AR-15Man »

Fewer still that are actually made in the U.S. Lets not forget that aimpoint is Swedish and no one seems to have a problem with them.

Chinese or not, holosun is affordable and they are actually innovating. Too many American companies have become the apple of the gun world. Small incremental upgrades, never taking a risk, letting smaller companies test the market first.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

AZ1182 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 9:50 pm
Ballistic Therapy wrote: January 28th, 2021, 7:51 pm There are very few red dots out there that aren't made in China.
Then only those few that aren't made there will be worthy enough to consider.
Personally , I don't care what you buy or what someone else buys.
I only made a statement.
AR-15Man

Post by AR-15Man »

AZ1182 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 10:11 pm You're going to have to deal with that and move on. My position is not ever going to change. Not sorry.
Don’t care.