Handgun Red Dot Mounting

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Handgun Red Dot Mounting

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I haven't ventured into the world of handgun red dots yet, but I think I'm going to take the plunge. I was looking to possibly get a Sig Romeo1 Pro put on a P226, but I'm open to other red dot recommendations as well.

The biggest question I have for the moment is, should I have the slide milled for the optic, or are mount kits like this a viable option?
https://www.sigsauer.com/romeo1-handgun ... 229-1.html

QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Handgun Red Dot Mounting

Post by QuietM4 »

I wouldn’t have it killed unless you really, really like a red dot.

That Sig kit is an easy take off if you decide you don’t like it.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

My understanding from a couple fellas, that sig has issue with the mounts, as screws and misc are either sheered or won't stay on tight.
i and several others are following the debacle of red dot on my x5, i have red dots on a few others (not sigs) that i enjoy immensly
i'll try and find the email i got on the mounts
Rj
Winmagbill

Post by Winmagbill »

Have the P320 with the milled slide and Romeo Pro. Only 250ish rounds but like the 6moa dot and how easy it is to pick up. Also have some CZs with dovetail mounting plates that are nice but not as easy to shoot. Not sure if it’s the smaller 2 moa dots or the additional mounting height. It’s not the guns; use to shoot them great when I could still see sights and target at the same time. Big downside is now I have pistols that are dinosaurs. Once you start shooting the RDS there’s a subtle change in how you present that makes it harder with just irons. Maybe that’s just me though. I haven’t had an issue with breakage but even blue locktighted mount screws have loosed up. Irons are definitely required on anything other than a range gun IMO.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I wanted to be able to rely on a mount like that so I didn't have to commit out of the gate, but I was concerned about it coming loose. I didn't even think about the screws sheering, but I guess that's a tremendous load those two little screws are under as the slide is rocketing back and forth.

Winmagbill, I don't think it would be anything more than a range toy for a while until I got fluent with the new sight, but I agree, irons would be necessary as a backup if it were used beyond that. In that case, it would necessitate milling.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

AZ1182 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:13 pm Have you tried them out yet? Range rental or a range buddy's already red dot equipped pistol? If not, I would strongly recommend finding a course that has rentals and see if you actually like it first, before you take the plunge.
I have messed around with them a little, but I have no shooting experience with them at all. That's not a bad idea. I might have to run over to C2 in the next couple of weeks and try one of theirs out to get better acquainted first.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

I ran a few on revolvers and really liked them.

I had a 30mm tube 4MOA dot on a 6" 686 and a Burris FF2 on a 5" 629 on a Raptor Engineering mount.

I really liked both. The Burris was a much lower, smaller profile set up and was very nice.

The tube style, was definitely a bigger bulkier set up, but the dot was a little easier for me to find. Both took a little practice though.