RD/MAG or a 1-6?

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
AZHTfreak
ArizonaShooting.org Member

RD/MAG or a 1-6?

Post by AZHTfreak »

I'm torn on optics for a HD/Recce build for out to 300yds max. Looking to go either:
1. A Romeo5 / Juliet3or4 combo, or
2. A Vortex SE 1-6 or PA 1-6 in a LaRue 204.

Also, I'm a lefty, has anyone reversed a Juliet on its mount? Looking at pics and I'm not sure there's clearance for the nitrogen purge...

All opinions and experiences welcome. Thanks in advance!

Basher

Re: RD/MAG or a 1-6?

Post by Basher »

Is the rifle going to used more often at 300, or at 50y and in? If you intend to spend more time at distance, an LPVO would be my choice. If it's primarily going to see use at 50y and in at local comps with some work further out one occasion, and RDS w/ Mag is the better option.

If money's no factor (I'm guessing that's not the case, cased on your LPVO choices), then by all means I'd go with the new Razor Gen3 1-10x with an MRDS like an RMR at 45*. If I could only have one rifle, it would be setup like that.

Thankfully, I don't have to have just one rifle, but that leaves me with tough choices like you face, haha. For me, at the present time, I have RDS on all my rifles, with one using a magnifier. The ultimate goal is the Razor setup mentioned above, but that may be a ways off unless I simplify things a good bit across multiple interests, and I'm not 100% convinced I'm ready to do that just yet!
AZHTfreak

Post by AZHTfreak »

Inside 100yd 90%. Yes to the Razor on my 65G when I hit the lottery!
Basher

Post by Basher »

AZHTfreak wrote: November 21st, 2020, 1:39 pm Inside 100yd 90%. Yes to the Razor setup when I hit the lottery!
Haha, I hear you there!

For what you state, I personally would run an RDS w/ magnifier. Similar weight to an LPVO, but vastly superior with regard to fast shooting close in, especially for the kind of LPVO that fits your budget. They’re good, but not anywhere near as good as a red dot. And most magnifiers come on a QD mount these days, so if you don’t need one on the gun, you can take it off to save some weight.
Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

300 is a pretty good stretch for a HD gun requirement. If you need the gun to be repeatable or are worried about group size at that distance id just go with the 1-6. Ive found that my 1-6 never leaves 6x. Its easier just to leave it there if I am shooting close and far targets on the same range than dial it back and forth. My HD gun it set up for hellothere-to-50yds with an aimpoint. With the aimpoint zeroed for 50, I can ring 100yd steel all day and still hit 300 more often than not. I hate magnifiers on RDS. If you are set on adding a magnifier to a RDS, just go for the LPVO and you have one less piece of equipment to worry about.
AZHTfreak

Post by AZHTfreak »

Yeah, I'm leaning RD/Mag primarily for the quick acquisition and the instant on that the LPVOs in my price range dont have.

Can anyone out there verify clearance when reversing the magnifier on its mount given my leftitis?
AZHTfreak

Post by AZHTfreak »

AZ1182 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 2:55 pm
AZHTfreak wrote: November 21st, 2020, 2:13 pm Yeah, I'm leaning RD/Mag primarily for the quick acquisition and the instant on that the LPVOs in my price range dont have.

Can anyone out there verify clearance when reversing the magnifier on its mount given my leftitis?
I have a bunch of magnifiers. Which one are you talking about? You can switch them either way, the levers do not intrude with the functioning of the rifle if that's what you're asking.
Not the QD levers, It's difficult to gauge just looking at pictures online, but all look like there would be interference between the body of the Mag and their mounting plates if reversed... The Juliet3, aimpoint3x, vortex micro3x.
AZHTfreak

Post by AZHTfreak »

Thank you! Exactly the answer I was looking for.
AZHTfreak

Post by AZHTfreak »

Ended up finding the Micro3x for $258 at eurooptic. Used their VORTEX14 14% BF code. Should work for all Vortex there...
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

I ran similar setups with similar mindsets. Want something that can reach out a few hundred m, but most of my shooting took place within 100, so a dot was better for me. I pretty much always go Eotech or Aimpoint. Then a magnifier for when it's needed.

If using an Aimpoint, the combo between the dot and magnifier will weigh less than an LPVO with a mount, and still be faster. BUT, your adjustability is more limited in comparison in terms of magnification power.

I'd still like to try an LPVO on a personal setup, but I'm not sure which I'd prefer. Maybe some day.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

I'd go with just a plain red dot and skip the magnifier. They're not light and I like to keep my carbines nice and handy.

Maybe have a magnifier in a fixed QD mount in your range gear for the <10% of the time you want to reach out.