Anybody in the East Valley have a TA44?

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Basher
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Anybody in the East Valley have a TA44?

Post by Basher »

So I'm trying to finalize a few AR builds that have been long-term projects for me. I've always been an Aimpoint fan, but as I get older, my astigmatism gets a little worse. I sold an old T-1 4MOA some time back and really miss how light and compact it was, but the 4MOA dot would occasionally star out and grow a good bit. I could still make consistent hits on IPSC targets out to 200m, but it bothered me. I now have a Vortex UH-1 that has treated me VERY well, but I'm not a huge fan of how heavy it is for lighter builds. I have an Aimpoint Pro on the way in the hopes that a 2MOA dot will do a little better, and also just got a Holosun 503G ACSS to try with a magnifier.

But for a hard use rifle, I'm still looking for the "perfect" optic for me. I've yet to try an LPVO (I lust heavily after the new Razor Gen3 1-10x, but it's WAY outside my budget right now), but it's also on my list. However, for my pistol/eventual SBR build, I'm wanting small/light again.

Before I go dropping $750-1000 on a TA44 w/ mount, I'm hoping to get behind one a bit. Just glassing some things in an empty parking lot would go a long ways to helping me decide, but also making a range trip to PRGC or Rio and putting a few rounds down range with one would be better. If anyone has one they'd allow me to try, I'm happy to meet up just about anywhere for a parking lot view, or the two mentioned ranges. I'll provide my own ammo and a few bucks for the wear/tear on your rifle. Let me know, and thanks in advance!

Basher

Re: Your search may end with the PRO.

Post by Basher »

Jager wrote: November 14th, 2020, 10:34 am Mine did. Hope yours does, too.
Yours did... what? Help relieve astigmatism?
Basher

Re: Anybody in the East Valley have a TA44?

Post by Basher »

Gotcha. My eyes aren’t bad enough to preclude iron use yet, thankfully! But my astigmatism does cause many red dots to blur somewhat. At the ranges I would intend to use these types of rifles (ie., any AR 16” or less, basically 300y and in), a red dot is still the fastest. I guess I’m just trying to “future proof” myself somewhat, and being a precision rifle kind of guy, I want to best chance at the tightest groups, at all ranges. Hence looking at the TA44. :)

But yeah, a quality red dot does wonders for reducing group size, as well as increasing how quickly you can get hits on target, which is why I like them so much. Just trying to see if there’s a tiny edge anywhere for when my vision makes dots more difficult to use.