Here we go again

This is the forum to visit to introduce yourself, ask basic questions regarding this community, the AZS.org site or general questions that you feel might be something that someone who is new to this site or firearms might ask. You will not be flamed or attacked in this forum for your questions.
Taserface
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Here we go again

Post by Taserface »

admin wrote: March 30th, 2020, 3:18 pm
rgregory1965 wrote: March 29th, 2020, 6:49 pm Old member has to re-establish all over again. So what happens in a few month we start over again.
Start over again in a few months? You've average about one post a month! Site has been around for almost 2 years now. Hyperbole much? 8-)
Police State in action.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Taserface wrote: April 27th, 2020, 10:46 am
admin wrote: March 30th, 2020, 3:18 pm
rgregory1965 wrote: March 29th, 2020, 6:49 pm Old member has to re-establish all over again. So what happens in a few month we start over again.
Start over again in a few months? You've average about one post a month! Site has been around for almost 2 years now. Hyperbole much? 8-)
Police State in action.
lol

Another one outs himself that feels that he is entitled to something free at my expense.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

12kzle.jpg
Stray Horse

Post by Stray Horse »

Stick around I notice a lot of people from years ago that I met.
yrsued

Post by yrsued »

How often do we have to re establish our memberships? What happens to schmucks like me that come here maybe once a month and just reads??
Copperhead
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Copperhead »

I don't know that the problem is properly defined as "entitlement mindset." Speaking from my personal experience just a couple weeks ago, having been a member on the old forum, I just had become accustomed to showing up occasionally, browsing a couple posts and the classifieds, maybe buying or selling once or twice a year. After years of doing this, and somehow missing all the bulletins about requirements for continued access, one day I showed up and could not get in which was a genuine surprise. Yes, I posted about my irritation, again not knowing that this already has been much discussed and that this subject alone causes vaginal discomfort for many members here. So I decided to play by the new rules and also found a way to contribute financially to this website. Never at all thought that I was owed something. I truly thought this was more or less a continuation of the old forum. I now know that it is not. I am happy to contribute as I can. I just was not reading enough of the board to know that I was not reading enough of the board... so I created my own problems by being ignorant of the changes. Quite possibly others are having a similar experience. So obviously the answer is to inflame everyone by calling them left-wing liberal whiny entitled greedy self seeking welfare recipients. Definitely will make people want to stick around and contribute.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Copperhead wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 11:37 pm I don't know that the problem is properly defined as "entitlement mindset." Speaking from my personal experience just a couple weeks ago, having been a member on the old forum, I just had become accustomed to showing up occasionally, browsing a couple posts and the classifieds, maybe buying or selling once or twice a year. After years of doing this, and somehow missing all the bulletins about requirements for continued access, one day I showed up and could not get in which was a genuine surprise. Yes, I posted about my irritation, again not knowing that this already has been much discussed and that this subject alone causes vaginal discomfort for many members here. So I decided to play by the new rules and also found a way to contribute financially to this website. Never at all thought that I was owed something. I truly thought this was more or less a continuation of the old forum. I now know that it is not. I am happy to contribute as I can. I just was not reading enough of the board to know that I was not reading enough of the board... so I created my own problems by being ignorant of the changes. Quite possibly others are having a similar experience. So obviously the answer is to inflame everyone by calling them left-wing liberal whiny entitled greedy self seeking welfare recipients. Definitely will make people want to stick around and contribute.
I don't disagree and I thought about several options to try to address that. First off, IMO, the only ones who *truly* had legitimate complaints were those who were relatively new to the site (ie, a week or so new) and were highly participative already, as they lost access to classifieds. Albeit, they'd regain access relatively quickly with their status-quo.

The options I weighed were a PM to everyone on the site to point them to a post about the change. Ultimately I decided against this as I did not want to get 100 PM relies asking for exceptions because of so-and-so excuse and the ONLY other time I sent a mass PM back when I owned AZS.com, I was inundated with complaints about "spamming" them with unsolicited email (ie, they had their email notifications of new PM's enabled - which is the default).

Next option was to put a post/announcement in prior to the change to let people know about it, but I didn't want it to turn into a debate about whether or not it should be done.

Last option was to implement the change and then put in an announcement that would let people know about the change. I opted for this path and the only thing I would have done differently would have been to make it remain a bit longer; instead of the week or two it was there, have it stick around for 3 months. Users could dismiss it by closing it and they'd never see it again, but I still had to field complaints about that; lol.

I didn't push or even really publicize the Patron site option because my goal is to have the site supported and funded by unobtrusive advertising rather than the users/members.
Copperhead

Post by Copperhead »

Maybe a little education could help? Do you have a database of usernames and email addresses from the old forum? If a new member registers here and the requested name or email crosses over, the activation email could include a brief letter explaining the current policies and differences and what to expect. Perhaps this could at least reduce the frequency of threads like this one, and sidestep knee-jerk reactions to finding out that access to the whole forum is not tenured in.
Just an idea.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No; all data was transferred to the new owners upon site transition. Per the agreement, I retained nothing.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Welcome