Hello, New/Old Lurker here. Trying to get access to the classifieds!

This is the forum to visit to introduce yourself, ask basic questions regarding this community, the AZS.org site or general questions that you feel might be something that someone who is new to this site or firearms might ask. You will not be flamed or attacked in this forum for your questions.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello, New/Old Lurker here. Trying to get access to the classifieds!

Post by admin »

deadshot556 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 3:35 pm Nah not true, but you should go outside sometime.
The other replies, thanks. That’s all I was looking for.
lol

tjc444
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by tjc444 »

I'll be honest, my main reason for visiting the site is to check the classifieds. I always felt more comfortable buying or selling from members on sites like this as opposed to backpage or armslist. I would look at other boards but rarely commented. I will try to be more active though.
tjc444

Post by tjc444 »

deadshot556 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 2:56 pm So what is the actual criteria to gain access? Where is it written? This new version is trash compared to the old site. Strange that we all lost all our credentials from the previous site
Hey deadshot556, I think I remember that screen name from the old site. I'm pretty sure I bought some POF stuff from you way back in the day. I could be mistaken though.
rockbronco
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by rockbronco »

admin wrote: March 30th, 2020, 3:23 pm
deadshot556 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 3:15 pm It wasn’t a stupid question paisano. I just asked where are the rules to get in, nothing more.
I'm going to quote myself from the other thread:
If I say what the requirements are, those who ONLY want access to the classifieds will do the bare minimum and then stop. Frankly, I don't want those people here. That's not the goal for this site.

In fact, the requirements will continually be 'in flux' until I find a good balance I like. If a user has been a member for 1 year, has 50 posts and 40 of those posts are in the classifieds, he may not have access for long. Or if the user has 50 posts, but 30 of them are replies with less than 20 characters (letters, numbers, etc), then those may not count toward access.

Access will always include a participation/contribution requirement (not monetary, but to the forum information) and a time requirement. More stringent requirements will be gradually added as we go, so those who continue to actively contribute to the community and content will not see any restrictions as they will continually meet the bar for access. Lull's in posting, as things come up in life, won't be an issue and will be accounted for in the algorithm.

Those who do just enough to get over this initial hump to get access and then stop, will find that they will continually lose access as time goes on and more specific requirements get added. Bottom line: if you're here for just the classifieds, this isn't the forum for you.
I got the notification and instantly said WTF so I came researching to see what the deal was. I do get the change but it does kinda suck when I already had been trusted with access then removed. I always like buying from members here and previously on the other forum but I have never posted much. Even on the old AZS forum I did not post much. I like to have a meaningful post if I do and alot of times I will simply follow along and read instead of posting just for the sake of posting. I registered a while back and pop in from time to time to see whats new since the traffic has been slower on this site I didnt check daily like I used to. Hopefully traffic and participation goes up in the future. This really is a great gun forum and one of the very few Im members of.

Thanks for keeping up with the work of a forum Admin, I have done it and its a pain in the ass and you can never please everyone. I do like that the classifieds are somewhat restricted since it weeds out the nonsense and builds trust in who your buying or selling too. This was one of the best things about AZS back in the day. So keep up the good work man
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Appreciate it.

While I understand in the short-term it sucks, longer-term it's really a win for everyone. A lot more content on the site, more discussion, etc, which in-turn will attract more people.

Traffic on the site has increased considerably in the last few weeks due to a captive audience at home and forum participation has increased exponentially in the last several days since the changes.
Ben7

Post by Ben7 »

People just getting their posts in so they can access the classifieds, then they’ll drop off again once their access is restored. Check the number of threads that are mysteriously back from the dead by members who haven’t posted in a while.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ben7 wrote: March 31st, 2020, 7:23 pm People just getting their posts in so they can access the classifieds, then they’ll drop off again once their access is restored. Check the number of threads that are mysteriously back from the dead by members who haven’t posted in a while.
They will be severely disappointed. I've already said it a million times; access is NOT based on number of posts. It is NOT based on registered time on the forums. It's not me or any person going in and giving people access. It's an algorithm that runs a process nightly that automatically grants access by taking into account several factors, among them:
  • Number of posts
  • Time registered on the forum
  • Frequency of site visits
  • Topics created
  • Replies to existing topics
  • Posting frequency
  • ...and a few others
It also ignores several things (or even counts them as negatives for gaining access if someone is trying to 'game' the system) and can auto-add a delay to being able to access the classified forums even if you meet all the thresholds if the system detects behavior that's trying to game the system:
  • Low quality replies (think, replies like "Ok", or "Cool", "bump", "I agree", etc...)
  • "Necroposting" replying to a very old topic to bump it
  • Multiple 'shorter' replies to one or more topics in a very short amount of time
  • Posts in certain forums
  • ...and a few others
Further, access isn't permanent. It's not a threshold that once you reach it, you permanently have access. If you fall below a certain activity level, you can lose access to the Classified Ads as well. It does take into account that people will sometimes take a hiatus from online life or visiting the site on occasion. But understand that the way the auto-access works is that you can lose access for not continuing to participate and contribute.

That means that you can go from having access one day and then losing it the next, or vice versa. Note that this isn't a hair-trigger - it has to be obvious that a user is trying to 'game' the system in some way (yeah, it is obvious when a user tries - I can see several who have already tried) and if so, it will significantly increase the time it takes for that user to gain access to the Classified Ads. It also has to be fairly extreme to lose access.

Here's an example illustrating that point using only ONE of the metrics it takes into account: if a user finally gets access to the classifieds and has been posting about a dozen times a week and then drops down to averaging one post a week despite visiting the site at a similar frequency when the user was posting much more often, they will eventually lose access to the classifieds if the trend continues for a certain period of time and have to start over to gain access.

Again, this site is not a Classified Ad board. It's intended to be a community of like-minded firearm enthusiasts who want to discuss firearm-related things online. The Classified Ads and other forums are provided as an additional benefit to those individuals. I am not interested in users trying to use AZS as "Backpage Lite" or solely as a mechanism to buy, sell or flip firearms or related items. If that's what you are seeking, there are many other places you can use.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Thanks for the clarification, that does help to understand the method. I hate to bother asking but what would happen if a user had a ad listed but lost access? Is that post still visible to allow questions to be answered when others posts are not? Just wondering if it’s going to impede a possible transaction if one was to loose access unexpectedly. Granted most should be using the pm function but general questions may not make It to a pm first.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Outside this initial 'implementation' timeframe, users would rarely lose access between posting an ad and it selling in a reasonable timeframe.

But if you're asking about users who used to have access but just now lost access, provided that they have not changed the default of being notified via email of replies, they will still get the email about a reply that has the username of the account who replied - but generally, users will send PM's which has no bearing on any of this.
mtuck

Post by mtuck »

knockonit wrote: March 30th, 2020, 3:04 pm
deadshot556 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 2:56 pm So what is the actual criteria to gain access? Where is it written? This new version is trash compared to the old site. Strange that we all lost all our credentials from the previous site
if you read the threads you'd get it, has nothing to do with old site, just happens to have a similar name, the old site died, done gone, no recovery,

reading is fundamental to not asking stupid freaken questions.
join in the fray and find out
I have always been a reader/lurker. I never post much because I feel that I don't know enough to speak proficiently about most topics. I enjoy reading the topics and learning but life gets in the way and I never have enough time to shoot let alone post questions that often have been asked before. I tend to search through the forums and find a lot of my answers so I don't feel the need to bother the members with repeated questions.

I will try to be more active on this forum and hopefully I can be active enough.
deadshot556

Post by deadshot556 »

mtuck wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 10:40 pm
knockonit wrote: March 30th, 2020, 3:04 pm
if you read the threads you'd get it, has nothing to do with old site, just happens to have a similar name, the old site died, done gone, no recovery,

reading is fundamental to not asking stupid freaken questions.
join in the fray and find out
I have always been a reader/lurker. I never post much because I feel that I don't know enough to speak proficiently about most topics. I enjoy reading the topics and learning but life gets in the way and I never have enough time to shoot let alone post questions that often have been asked before. I tend to search through the forums and find a lot of my answers so I don't feel the need to bother the members with repeated questions.

I will try to be more active on this forum and hopefully I can be active enough.
That was basically the same for me> Dont like arguing with internet geniuses. I will try more now and what not. lol
deadshot556

Post by deadshot556 »

tjc444 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Hey deadshot556, I think I remember that screen name from the old site. I'm pretty sure I bought some POF stuff from you way back in the day. I could be mistaken though.
LOL, possibly. That was quite a few years ago.
jdrautoworks

Post by jdrautoworks »

I think I fall into this group... Even more so on the old site and a few others...

But hey I have 6 posts in a year and they all occurred tonight! LOL
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Gunbroker, sign up, instant access
theChad

Post by theChad »

I got the notification and instantly said WTF so I came researching to see what the deal was. I do get the change but it does kinda suck when I already had been trusted with access then removed. I always like buying from members here and previously on the other forum but I have never posted much. Even on the old AZS forum I did not post much. I like to have a meaningful post if I do and alot of times I will simply follow along and read instead of posting just for the sake of posting. I registered a while back and pop in from time to time to see whats new since the traffic has been slower on this site I didnt check daily like I used to. Hopefully traffic and participation goes up in the future. This really is a great gun forum and one of the very few Im members of.

Thanks for keeping up with the work of a forum Admin, I have done it and its a pain in the ass and you can never please everyone. I do like that the classifieds are somewhat restricted since it weeds out the nonsense and builds trust in who your buying or selling too. This was one of the best things about AZS back in the day. So keep up the good work man
I too feel your pain being a member from day one and now having the rug yanked out from under me.
But I see the other side as well.
I admin in a car forum and we battle the same issues with hit n run for sale posts. You can't please everyone all the time. I guess I'll have to do the needful as well.