Not happy with your new rules!

This is the forum to visit to introduce yourself, ask basic questions regarding this community, the AZS.org site or general questions that you feel might be something that someone who is new to this site or firearms might ask. You will not be flamed or attacked in this forum for your questions.
Kingjoey
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Not happy with your new rules!

Post by Kingjoey »

Glad to see this put in place so we don't have people using this site as another Backpage. Been an AZS member since this place was a BBS back in the 90's, there's more here than just a gun-oriented Craiglist. Hang out, find new people to hate, and someday you'll get access to the classified ads too 😄

Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

I rather hangout with bunch of a$$holes I like than bunch of bitc#'s I hate
Maestro

Post by Maestro »

I'm going to put my .02 in. I currently work in Germany for the US Army. I do NOT visit the site as much as I should be. I lost my classified access.

I don't like it, but I understand. If we are not accessing and utilizing the site enough, then we shouldn't get the benefits. Also, I got backpaged on my last firearms sale on the old site. Anything the Admin has to do to keep those folks out of the classifieds is a plus!
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

TacMedic wrote: March 28th, 2020, 2:38 am I appreciate the site and that it returned!
I agree.

It is free to all, BUT you need to contribute to the forums, otherwise it is just "BackPage Lite"
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

needsmostuff wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:44 am
Tim McBride wrote: March 28th, 2020, 9:07 am Just FYI, click the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the notice and it's gone for good.
Well, I DO feel a little stupid now.
Two days of dealing with and looking at that thing ,,,,,,, and it was that easy ?
Um , I guess I should have paid attention in "Forum 101". :think:
well hell, Al, if you weren't so click happy and could READ....hahahahahaha (i didn't know about the red "x" either, until your post)
What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

It's pretty standard on most forum when signing up. Half the time folks show up just to sell. Others lurk or participate.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What wrote: March 30th, 2020, 11:40 am It's pretty standard on most forum when signing up. Half the time folks show up just to sell. Others lurk or participate.
Yep; though it's also fairly standard to restrict new users from classifieds if that's not the purpose of the forum. Classifieds and good deals should benefit the members contributing.
cat-mechanic

Post by cat-mechanic »

Ok, ok, I get it. At first I was irritated, but I understand what's being done and it makes sense. Guess I'll be contributing more often.
dustmaker

Post by dustmaker »

QuietM4 wrote: March 27th, 2020, 9:16 pm Both of you have less fewer than 10 posts...how, exactly, are you a "part of the AZS community"?

The classified section should be open to those who regularly contribute to the site. I applaud the rule.
Do you also applaud the fact that posters in the classifieds are now limited to who can see their ads and ultimately purchase their goods?

I to have been on AZ Shooting before the shutdown and after. ADMIN not sending good vibes to the newbies or us that have been here before, but it is their domain and they can rule it any way they see fit.

dusty
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

dustmaker wrote: March 31st, 2020, 6:28 am
QuietM4 wrote: March 27th, 2020, 9:16 pm Both of you have less fewer than 10 posts...how, exactly, are you a "part of the AZS community"?

The classified section should be open to those who regularly contribute to the site. I applaud the rule.
Do you also applaud the fact that posters in the classifieds are now limited to who can see their ads and ultimately purchase their goods?

I to have been on AZ Shooting before the shutdown and after. ADMIN not sending good vibes to the newbies or us that have been here before, but it is their domain and they can rule it any way they see fit.

dusty
So lets be clear, although Admin is the original founder of the old site, he didn't have anything to do with it they last few years before it crashed. He generously, out of his own pocket, built this version of AZS so we could all have a local shooting forum again.

And yes, we intentionally limited who can see ads, as I stated before, because we don't want brand new people coming just for the classifieds. The system is designed to work this way. You need to be an actual contributing member not only to post in the classifieds, but also to buy from the classifieds.
Frankly if you are only here for the classifieds, you are not the type of member that we want.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

dustmaker wrote: March 31st, 2020, 6:28 am

dusty
You've been on this site for over a year and you have 12 posts. Averaging one post per month on a discussion board. How is that contributing to and being a part of the AZS community?

I've said it a bunch: this site's purpose is not a firearm Classified Ad board. It's not Backpage Lite. It's meant to be a community of firearm owners and enthusiasts who want to be around others and converse with those who share similar views and hobbies. The classified ads are simply intended to be a benefit to those that are a participative part of the community, not intended to be a primary draw to the site for those who only wish to buy/sell firearm-related stuff.

Note that if you have an ad in the classifieds and have lost access to it, you will still get email notifications of replies to your post (assuming you didn't disable it in your profile - it's enabled by default), so you can still see who replied and message them directly. Likewise, it doesn't preclude you from receiving PM's on the site regardless of the forum they originate from.
sharp

Post by sharp »

It's your site, your rules!! Those whiners and complainers can go elsewhere if they don't like it. The entitled attitudes of some really crack me up.

Having said that, I have primarily used the site in the past for the classified ads. Now I'm curious: If I become a Patron, will I have unlimited access to the classified forums? I would gladly contribute at the $5/mo level to have access to that when I need to, since I cannot promise I'll be that great of a contributor to the forum in general.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sharp wrote: March 31st, 2020, 9:05 am It's your site, your rules!! Those whiners and complainers can go elsewhere if they don't like it. The entitled attitudes of some really crack me up.

Having said that, I have primarily used the site in the past for the classified ads. Now I'm curious: If I become a Patron, will I have unlimited access to the classified forums? I would gladly contribute at the $5/mo level to have access to that when I need to, since I cannot promise I'll be that great of a contributor to the forum in general.
Good question! All Patron supporters do get access to the classifieds without needing to meet the post count standards, the need to visit the site at a certain frequency and/or quality of posts and topics made. However, the portion of the algorithm that does apply to Patron supporters to get access to the classifieds is that they must be joined for at least 30 days.

The reason is that it dissuades new users who are trying to sell something on multiple forums from trying to register a new account here, sign up for a $5 patron support pledge, then quickly post their ad to the classifieds and then pulling Patron support once their item sells in a week.
TacoTime

Post by TacoTime »

I got removed from classifieds after gaining access to them the other day. I’ve been posting on the forum trying to get back into the groove to have my access ripped away again. I don’t understand.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

ahem...
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg