New guy with some range and hunting questions

This is the forum to visit to introduce yourself, ask basic questions regarding this community, the AZS.org site or general questions that you feel might be something that someone who is new to this site or firearms might ask. You will not be flamed or attacked in this forum for your questions.
trailbound
New to ArizonaShooting.org

New guy with some range and hunting questions

Post by trailbound »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and AZ, relocated here in June with my wife and kids from Reno. We saw the massive blue wave coming from the bay area, also got burnt dealing with the winters there and had to get out.

I was hoping to get some leads on local family friendly indoor and outdoor ranges around Surprise/Peoria. I saw Ben Avery and ran across some indoor pistol ranges on internet searches but wasn't sure which ones were good or bad. Also want to explore BLM land once the fire restrictions end and I get my 4x4 ready. I have no idea where to head yet.

Lastly my 14yr old wants to try dove or quail hunting. I've been around firearms my whole life and always held a hunting license but haven't been in the field. My son and I recently took hunter safety classes to get familiar with everything and are hoping to find a local club or group to meet like minded folks thanks!

xerts1191
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: New guy with some range and hunting questions

Post by xerts1191 »

Welcome, I abandoned the Phoenix area a few years ago, Shooter’s World, Ben Avery, Joe Foss range are in the Surprise vicinity, no one will share their favorite hunting spots, so get out and do your own scouting see the country side. Invest in some maps. Your boy will need hunter’s Ed, thats all I got.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Shooter's World Peoria closest to you is a decent enough facility. Only you can decide if the cost of membership is worth it to you, vs pay-per-visit. They should have their latest range up and running soon down in Avondale, also. Ben Avery is not a range you want to visit when you have other time committments. It's rigidly structured, for safety reasons, and there's long time-outs while old duffers amble down to the 100yd line to check their rifle targets. CowTown is quite expensive, but no too much farther for you than Ben Avery, or perhaps a bit closer. Phoenix Rod and Gun is cheap, by comparison, but a long haul for you to make.
trailbound

Post by trailbound »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that my notifications for this post were not turned on.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

I would go visit the ranges close enough to interest you. Then do some driving around and see what different areas are like. I know it would be nice to meet someone and you will probably do that as you cruise around.
flyinverted

Post by flyinverted »

I joined shooter's world not only for the range, but more for the 10% discount on gear and $25.00 flat FFL transfers. To me that was a no brainer for my first year when I bought quite a bit via FFL transfer.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

flyinverted wrote: January 17th, 2023, 4:32 pm I joined shooter's world not only for the range, but more for the 10% discount on gear and $25.00 flat FFL transfers. To me that was a no brainer for my first year when I bought quite a bit via FFL transfer.
Have you been able to find time during this good weather to get out and explore outdoor spots?
AngelEdward

Post by AngelEdward »

Ben Avery is an excellent option for outdoor ranges; there are also some great indoor ranges in the area. As for BLM land, there are plenty of options in the area, but it's always important to research beforehand and be aware of any restrictions or closures. I also suggest checking out bass pro shop deals to save a bit on hunting. You might also want to check out some local sportsman's clubs or shooting ranges, as they often have events and opportunities for hunters to connect. Good luck, and happy hunting!
Last edited by AngelEdward on February 27th, 2023, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinked_Chrome

Post by Kinked_Chrome »

If you like shooting matches, Cowtown has it all. Weekly steel, uspsa, PRS, accurized AR. They used to have multigun, not sure if they are bringing that back or not.

They also host a number a of training classes from various instructors. The memebership for the range is expensive, but you dont need a membership to shoot the matches or take the training courses.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Ben Avery is a great facility and we are lucky to have it - many people hate on it due to the 15 mins shoot / 15 min break layout but I actually like that as it helps me regulate how much ammo I burn through in a few hours of being there. Tuesdays-Thursdays it is 10 bucks to shoot however long you want (used to be 7, but lets be real - 10 bucks is still super cheap considering most indoor ranges are 25 or more an hour.) Friday-Sundays they have an online reservation system (last time I checked it was for 90 minute blocks) that works pretty good.

The clay center is also fun, particularly like the sporting clays and it is fairly inexpensive ($20 for 50 clays) and no "shooter" fee.

I mainly go weekly on the weekdays as it gets way too crowded on the weekends and the more people there are, the more idiots there are. I have been shooting there for 15+ years and never had an issue with the RSOs. Usually on weekday afternoons there aren't many people there and it is pretty laid back. I enjoy the desert shooting more, but it is nice and convenient to have Ben Avery just up the road. Shooting in the desert gets harder and harder every year due to the government, sprawl, and the absolute sh*t-class humans who trash it.

Shooter's World is ok in a pinch - I used to have a membership there but they had constant issues billing me for my membership (their fault, not mine) and the RSOs they had at the time were mentally handicapped and ultra annoying / ignorant so I ended my membership and avoid the place if I can. I have never found their prices to be that great on guns and gear either. The Indian School location never has anything interesting for sale, sparsely stocked, so the one off Cactus is the better choice.

Further north in Camp Verde is Copperstar indoor range - and I do like that one. It is also the only 100 yard indoor range in the state and it is much nicer / better ventilated / better ran than Shooter's World.