Night time shooting with Gen 3 optics and thermal on AR15 platform

This is the forum to visit to introduce yourself, ask basic questions regarding this community, the AZS.org site or general questions that you feel might be something that someone who is new to this site or firearms might ask. You will not be flamed or attacked in this forum for your questions.
AZShooterFreedom
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Night time shooting with Gen 3 optics and thermal on AR15 platform

Post by AZShooterFreedom »

Hello, I am looking for a private landowner or a location that I can shoot my AR15 using Gen 3 optics/thermals at night time. State Trust and BLM lands are off limits due to fire restrictions since early 2021. I would appreciate some help on navigating this situation I am currently facing. For private landowners that have shooting location, I would be happy to pay for use and sign a liability waiver.

Thanks to anyone that may help.

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Night time shooting with Gen 3 optics and thermal on AR15 platform

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Just a heads up... State Trust land is always off-limits to target shooting regardless of fire conditions. The only shooting you can do there is when hunting. I don't know what specific BLM land you were referring to, but some BLM land was open to shooting as recently as earlier this month until the fire restrictions kicked in. I'm not sure what fire restrictions you're referring to.

I know at least one guy on this site that lives on enough land that he can shoot on it north of Phoenix, and there may be others. If I were them though, I would be really hesitant to let someone I don't know, regardless of pay, shoot on my land like that. I know you're new to the site. Maybe hang around here and interact for a while, and I'm sure you'll make some connections. It just seems like a big ask right out of the gate when no one knows who you are yet. If this were a bank, you're trying to make a massive withdrawal when you haven't put in the deposits yet. Just my two cents.
kenpoprofessor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by kenpoprofessor »

AZ_Five56 wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 9:07 am Just a heads up... State Trust land is always off-limits to target shooting regardless of fire conditions. The only shooting you can do there is when hunting. I don't know what specific BLM land you were referring to, but some BLM land was open to shooting as recently as earlier this month until the fire restrictions kicked in. I'm not sure what fire restrictions you're referring to.

I know at least one guy on this site that lives on enough land that he can shoot on it north of Phoenix, and there may be others. If I were them though, I would be really hesitant to let someone I don't know, regardless of pay, shoot on my land like that. I know you're new to the site. Maybe hang around here and interact for a while, and I'm sure you'll make some connections. It just seems like a big ask right out of the gate when no one knows who you are yet. If this were a bank, you're trying to make a massive withdrawal when you haven't put in the deposits yet. Just my two cents.

I couldn't agree more, you got to get to know folks for real, not anonymously on the internet. Most of all, they gotta know you.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
AZShooterFreedom

Post by AZShooterFreedom »

AZ_Five56 wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 9:07 am Just a heads up... State Trust land is always off-limits to target shooting regardless of fire conditions. The only shooting you can do there is when hunting. I don't know what specific BLM land you were referring to, but some BLM land was open to shooting as recently as earlier this month until the fire restrictions kicked in. I'm not sure what fire restrictions you're referring to.

Thank you, as for the fire restrictions: Was just observing the websites but again i can always overlook stuff. Hunting license is your passport on state trust land but target shooting is not allowed from what I understand. As for a big ask, I agree...just trying to find a safe place to get the fancy gear all in working condition and zero'ed.

Things are just getting harder so been hanging out off the public shooting range south off interstate 8 by casa grande, AZ. The range closes at sunset.
NBC_LT

Post by NBC_LT »

Wait for the next Big Sandy shoot in October. The first night shoot does not have all the fireworks and gets plenty dark to really test your gear.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

hunting licence hmmm you were lawfully trying to take game... yep that coyote ran right over there.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

omegaman wrote: May 24th, 2022, 3:21 pm hunting licence hmmm you were lawfully trying to take game... yep that coyote ran right over there.
Racoons are also legal to take at night with a firearm.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

AZ_Five56 wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 9:07 am If I were them though, I would be really hesitant to let someone I don't know, regardless of pay, shoot on my land like that. I know you're new to the site. Maybe hang around here and interact for a while, and I'm sure you'll make some connections. It just seems like a big ask right out of the gate when no one knows who you are yet. If this were a bank, you're trying to make a massive withdrawal when you haven't put in the deposits yet. Just my two cents.
I don't disagree with you Five56 - on the other hand - I'm not sure where the OP comes from - and it's worth noting that AZ is a bit of an odd-ball in terms of the amount of "public" land - and in many many other states it is really normal for folks with big chunks of land to let others "hunt their land." Might be that he's from Texas or somewhere similar where nearly all land (93% as opposed to 18% in AZ) is privately held. Just Sayin...

@AZShooterFreedom - Don't take us as an unfriendly group. Just recognize that your request is not something that happens on the regular 'round here... :-)
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Join Cowtown range if you want to shoot at night.