New to hunting.

This is the forum to visit to introduce yourself, ask basic questions regarding this community, the AZS.org site or general questions that you feel might be something that someone who is new to this site or firearms might ask. You will not be flamed or attacked in this forum for your questions.
zonie77
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: New to hunting.

Post by zonie77 »

I wouldn't recommend it for a first gun. If someone offers you one cheap it's a reasonable choice but to start 308 & 30-06 perform really well and with premium ammo or hand loads can do some very good things.

Stray Horse

Post by Stray Horse »

Get a Tikka 270 or 30-06 and zero it for 300 yards. Spend time in the area you want to hunt.
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

here you go. Put another 200-300 into a scope and rings.
(not mine nor any connection with it.)
https://www.azgunbuy.com/showthread.php ... -free-dies
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Chiming in late.

First - a question - do you have a buddy who hunts (successfully - taking animals year over year) who is willing to "show you the ropes?" If so - get with them, see what they suggest based on where you guys will hunt. There are lots of variables that can change the cartridge that is "best" for you.

If not - and you are going it alone - a lot of it will depend on how experienced a shooter you are. Assuming that you are not highly experienced, and you want a cartridge that will take game through elk in AZ - and you are more focused on deer than elk, then I'm with the others in suggesting .308 or .30-06 if you have a choice (with preference to .308 due to ammo availability and diversity). If you are going to be more focused on elk than deer - then I'd suggest getting a .300 win mag. .308 is totally capable of taking an elk, but the .300 buys you slightly more room for error with that larger animal.

In either case - I'd tell you that before you press the trigger for the first time on an animal you need to have a healthy understanding of your relative skill and I'd suggest that you set a limit for yourself regarding distance... you don't want to misplace a shot and wound and then lose the animal. If you want to be a hunter - this should matter to you (my 2 cents).

As to your 6.5CM question - it is not the cartridge that I would choose for a first hunting rifle. Not a bad cartridge - just one made for a bit of a different purpose. I'd not hesitate to hunt deer with it - but I'd not suggest it as a good elk cartridge for someone new to the game.

Just my 2 cents...
Chris the Mechanic
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Chris the Mechanic »

Howdy. Game and fish hold classes that will help you learn most things you need for hunting. Check their website. As to your question based on my experience. Anything between a 7mm-08 and 7mag is a good deer/elk rifle. (Flat shooters that hit hard) I would suggest you don't buy bottom of the barrel stuff that you will replace later. Buy something mid grade that you can hand down many years from now. Get a good scope. You don't need high power or giant diameter lenses. A 40-44mm scope carries well and will get the job done. A magnification starting somewhere between 2-4 is best for me (nothing like being 30yds from an elk and not knowing which hair you're focused on at 24x) and I haven't needed to use more than 6x for an animal and it was 558yds. Lots of practice under stress will help when the time comes, but be prepared to do what you need to after the shot. You could try a game processor in your area and see if the will teach you a few things. Having 2 good sharp knives and a partner that knows what they're doing would be best, but not a must if you do your homework. Also take a gun safety course if you haven't. You get a free bonus point for the draw and good education.