New to hunting.

This is the forum to visit to introduce yourself, ask basic questions regarding this community, the AZS.org site or general questions that you feel might be something that someone who is new to this site or firearms might ask. You will not be flamed or attacked in this forum for your questions.
knockonit
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: New to hunting.

Post by knockonit »

ca',mon, pooter round like 06, go for it, go big or go home, 300 WM, 270, 7mm go get'm rounds, ugh
Rj

zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

If you don't have a lot of hunting experience I highly recommend taking the hunter safety class. I took it because my kids were taking it. I was impressed with how much I learned about hunting. The safety stuff is in there but there is a lot of hunting info.
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

.375 Winchester
Welcome to the forum
delta6

Post by delta6 »

DevilDocAZ wrote: February 19th, 2022, 2:20 pm This thread isn’t disappointing. LOL
Truth...
1st.. No "razing" here, 1Nut1DER. Honest question deserves an honest answer. This is one of the places you should be to ask.

I'm sure most who are posting have harvested less than 10 big game animals in all their lifetime's and most of their information they have is from the internet.. viola..instant commando's.
Now.. back to the OP's question: " I’m about to start hunting and was looking for a good caliber to start with. "

.308 is a good choice. Ammo is plentiful and cost is reasonable. More $ to practice with versus most suggested rounds. The .308 will kill every animal in North America and 99% of all animals in Africa, cleanly. Recoil is moderate and their are plenty of bullet choices.

To suggest a caliber, suggesting that the OP "will be ethical" is a totally different conversation. Caliber has nothing to do with ethics.

For once, would you guys stop with the "dick measuring" contest and help answer the OP's question and leave your self serving opinion out of the conversation.

delta6

PS: DevilDocAZ ... good posts :clap:
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Come in, proclaim your superiority, make some poor ASSumptions, and then claim others are having a dick measuring contest and not answering the OP. Classic.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

TheAccountant wrote: February 19th, 2022, 11:15 pm Come in, proclaim your superiority, make some poor ASSumptions, and then claim others are having a dick measuring contest and not answering the OP. Classic.
I rest my case...yes Sir, classic. :text-goodpost:
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

i'd try and hook up with a friend or someone of knowledge and perhaps go on scouting trip, and or a hunt, even if not drawn, learning the basics first hand is a boon to success, seeing how, who and what first hand is always the perscription for personal success.
Pick a caliber and stick with it, practice can win the day, sure ammos cheap, but chasing a wounded animal miles and even worse dragging that sob by hand is a killer, especially if you're and oldie.
lots of info here on calibers, everyones milage will differ, the 06 is the route or the 308, pick one and exercise your right to burn powder and share in the American experience eating game meat.
Rj
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

Back to your original question, If I was buying a new rifle I would lean towards 308, If I was looking at used rifles I would consider 270, 7mm mag, 308, and 30-06. Any of these will serve you well.

Depending on your budget ammo prices might be a consideration so 308 and 30-06 would probably be cheaper and you can use a cheaper range of ammo for practice, then a premium hunting round for hunting. Make sure you do enough shooting with the actual hunting round because you may have to make some small adjustment to your scope.

Do not cheap out on a scope. You don't have to go $1000 but don't go $39.95. Aside from the optics the adjusting mechanisms make a big difference when you sight it in and with it keeping adjustment and the cheap scopes have crude mechanisms.

https://www.range365.com/308-winchester-762-nato/
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

1Nut1DER wrote: February 18th, 2022, 8:13 pm I’m sure I’ll be getting a bunch of razing on here but, I’m about to start hunting and was looking for a good caliber to start with. I’m planning on going Elk and Deer. I’ve done some research but everything I find is unhelpful.
There really shouldn't be any.
You are asking good questions in a forum of folks that should have good answers.

I haven't hunted since my teens, and don't hunt game now. All the suggestions here will hold value for more than a few of us, myself included.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

When I started hunting there were not as many calibers then as there is now. I recently bought another rifle and stayed with the same .06 caliber. One reason was due to the variety of bullet weights, you can take down pretty much any game in the US. Second, was the availability of ammo (prior to all the political BS) you could find it from sporting goods to wally world and hardware stores.
I have gotten confident with it out to 400 yards and am working to push it out a bit further with hand loads.
Also, it has generally been a bit less expensive then some of the other calibers.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Might join a Predators hunting, shooting group, good way to meet some good ole boys and a few knuckleheads, too, we do not discriminate against any one in particular, just everyone. hehe
rj
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

Does the OP own any 308 or 30-06 semi-auto rifles currently? An M1a, HK91 or FAL with a scope will work, don't even need to find a 5 round magazine unless you want to keep the FUDs pacified. Or for that matter a .303 Enfield, 1917 30-06 Enfield or 30-06 Springfield bolt action?
redj

Post by redj »

Get a 30.06.
Buy a good gun in 30.06 with a good scope and you will never need anything else to hunt big game in Arizona.
A good pair of binoculars and a knife would come in handy also.
The 30.06 is probably the best all around caliber made.
1Nut1DER
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by 1Nut1DER »

No I do not own any hunting rifles currently. I really appreciate everyone help choosing the best cal. Still have made a solid choice yet. Is 6.5 a good choice??
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

1Nut1DER wrote: February 24th, 2022, 2:29 pm No I do not own any hunting rifles currently. I really appreciate everyone help choosing the best cal. Still have made a solid choice yet. Is 6.5 a good choice??
It seems you haven't even read the responses with that post. You might just want to stay home.

Clyde