1st Pistol

This is the forum to visit to introduce yourself, ask basic questions regarding this community, the AZS.org site or general questions that you feel might be something that someone who is new to this site or firearms might ask. You will not be flamed or attacked in this forum for your questions.
Gonzalok1
New to ArizonaShooting.org

1st Pistol

Post by Gonzalok1 »

Hey guys new to this page just turned 21 couple weeks ago and looking to purchase my first handgun stopped at a few pawn shops and gun shops was thinking between the Glock 19 or a Glock 43 any recommendations?
Locations with good deals are also welcomed

QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 1st Pistol

Post by QuietM4 »

Go to a local shooting range and try multiple guns before you buy.
Gonzalok1

Post by Gonzalok1 »

QuietM4 wrote: March 20th, 2021, 7:29 pm Go to a local shooting range and try multiple guns before you buy.
Didn’t even think about doing that any recommendations on a smaller 9mm? To conceal carry
Thesamba

Post by Thesamba »

Hello.... I have shot many pistols over the years and currently have quite a few. Honestly, you just have to try as many as you can. I wanted to love Glocks but they never felt ergonomic. I opted for Ruger SR9C and a Ruger LC9S. Those are my 9mm's and they have been flawless. Years and years of no jams. That started me down the Ruger rabbit hole. Lol
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

IIRC, SW has free rentals on Tuesday. But, you'll have to call them and make sure.

http://www.azshootersworld.com/go2/phoe ... _range.cfm

THey also have a location at Cactus and 91st Ave, if that's closer.
Ben7

Post by Ben7 »

Take the CCW class if you plan on carrying. Yes, we know you don’t need the permit to carry. It’s about arming yourself with information. Shoot as many pistols as you can until you find the one that you are the most comfortable with. Then become very proficient with it.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

Adding onto the CCW class advice. Glendale may still be offering the longer CCW classes. The info in them is worth the time and at Glendale they generally use police trainers to teach the classes. They also have a pistol class that is worth taking. They are all found under AJS.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Gonzalok1 wrote: March 20th, 2021, 7:32 pm
QuietM4 wrote: March 20th, 2021, 7:29 pm Go to a local shooting range and try multiple guns before you buy.
Didn’t even think about doing that any recommendations on a smaller 9mm? To conceal carry
Sig P365, Sig P365XL, Glock 19, G43, G45, G48, G26, S&W Shield, Springfield Hellcat, so many options but those will get you started.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

Really, one of the few readily available that I would trust is the S&W Shield.
Compact, concealable, and pretty good for the price, many of the others mentioned are going to be much more expensive, hard to find, and really (cue the haters) not any more dependable.

Let’s now talk about the real problem, where are you going to get ammo without getting raped in the wallet?
Sorry, but you picked a horrendous time to get into handguns, I know it’s not your fault, but prices when you can find what you need are approaching Snoop Dog high.
Gonzalok1

Post by Gonzalok1 »

Gunslinger808 wrote: March 20th, 2021, 10:10 pm Really, one of the few readily available that I would trust is the S&W Shield.
Compact, concealable, and pretty good for the price, many of the others mentioned are going to be much more expensive, hard to find, and really (cue the haters) not any more dependable.

Let’s now talk about the real problem, where are you going to get ammo without getting raped in the wallet?
Sorry, but you picked a horrendous time to get into handguns, I know it’s not your fault, but prices when you can find what you need are approaching Snoop Dog high.
I actually was looking at the shield for the price and it seems great my brother pushed me off of it cause he said I should get something that double stacks and yeah I’ve been seeing the price on ammo is high but luckily I’m not out of work or anything so I’m willing to fork over the extra cash
KoaTico

Post by KoaTico »

As others have said, you really need to find what works best for you via trial and error. Personally like the Springfield XDM platform, carry the compact and have the 5.25 for fun at the range.
A65453

Post by A65453 »

Don't rush into your decision. Rent and shoot a variety of guns first.

Small concealment focused pistols are harder to shoot well. They also are often less pleasant to shoot than a full sized gun too. Shooting a lot is key to getting better. I wouldn't go smaller than the G19 for a first pistol as the smaller guns could ingrain some bad habits. The G44 might be an even better bet with current ammo prices, just to get familiarity with the platform cheaply.

My primary shooting interest is competition, not CCW. I'd advise the G19 and joining some IDPA matches to learn better gun handling skills.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

The G19 is one of the most popular pistols available, but it's ergonomics don't fit my hand. I'm a 1911 man, but heartily recommend the Sig P365 for a small carry gun. Eleven rounds of 9mm with the flush fitting mags is wonderful.
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

Welcome, don’t forget to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League