Ammo Shortage Expected to Last into 2021

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
mikeh
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: Ammo Shortage Expected to Last into 2021

Post by mikeh »

I've seen where ammo is available but they are using this shortage to gouge buyers. .45 ammo for $1.45 a round, really? Glad I've been buying and stocking up for the past 5 years.

samnev
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by samnev »

With the loss for sure in Georgia of 1 senate seat and the other circling the drain if we loose both will we have any semi auto's to shoot after Biden gets thru with his anti gun agenda? so the amount shortage is not my first worry.
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

Now that the Senate is lost, the ammo shortage is forever, better get used to it. The one thing that the power hungry control freaks know is, guns are useless without ammo.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Pale Rider wrote: January 6th, 2021, 9:35 am Now that the Senate is lost, the ammo shortage is forever, better get used to it. The one thing that the power hungry control freaks know is, guns are useless without ammo.
yup, they wont come after guns. it will be ammo and your ability to easily buy it. Bet the first thing to go is any kinda of online sale, and no more case quantities. Will all be background checked along with monthly restrictions on how much your allowed to buy which will be 100rds or less. If anything CA is a preview into the future of guns for the entire country.

buy what you need now or you might not get the chance for a very long time.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Or they will just institute a "safety" tax. You think its expensive now .. people will remember fondly a $500 case of 9mm. Dont have to run through the same hoops to institute a new tax that you do to institute new laws.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

rockbronco wrote: January 6th, 2021, 9:50 am If anything CA is a preview into the future of guns for the entire country.

buy what you need now or you might not get the chance for a very long time.
^^^ This is going to be the new law of the land...
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I haven't checked yet but I bet the auction final prices on gunbroker starting this week will be epic!

Been reading on a couple of other forums guys saying .. "I just wont pay 90 cents a round when I was buying it for $15 a box"

Should have bought a baseball bat. Makes a better bludgeon.

I remember being able to get on a city bus for a quarter and making a phone call for a dime ... things change. this one is going to hurt.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I remember when 9MM reman was $100.00/1K rounds in a 30 caliber ammo can, which is why it was the last round I started reloading.

Things change. Either you change with them or you get run over.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I’m not THAT old but I still have some Walmart WWB 9mm that I bought at full price of $9.38/100 in maybe 2005 timeframe. Can’t even buy jacketed projectiles to reload at that price anymore.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Abbey wrote: January 10th, 2021, 9:05 am I’m not THAT old but I still have some Walmart WWB 9mm that I bought at full price of $9.38/100 in maybe 2005 timeframe. Can’t even buy jacketed projectiles to reload at that price anymore.
No, but you can still reload a lot cheaper than buying commercial. Try plated or coated bullets. They both work great.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I remember when gas went up to 50 cents a gallon.
I said if it ever went to $1.00 a gallon I would quit driving.

Now I have the dilemma of how high ammo has to go before I quit shooting.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: January 10th, 2021, 12:24 pm I remember when gas went up to 50 cents a gallon.
I said if it ever went to $1.00 a gallon I would quit driving.

Now I have the dilemma of how high ammo has to go before I quit shooting.
lol, funny chit, 5 bucks would just about fill up my 67 chevelle, man those were the days, bad ass ride for sure
oh well, wished i'd kept it, boolits, got plenty 8-)
Rj
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

Makes it impossible to try any new calibers. Just have to be grateful for what I've already got, I guess.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

Flash wrote: January 10th, 2021, 9:11 am No, but you can still reload a lot cheaper than buying commercial. Try plated or coated bullets. They both work great.
I've tried plated bullets in the past but never liked them. But in retrospect, some of my reasons for preferring jacketed aren't as important when supply is in the state it is. Maybe it's time to look at coated again. At least for 9mm & maybe 45. Other calibers are lower volume so I'm not as concerned.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

Abbey wrote: January 10th, 2021, 3:54 pm
Flash wrote: January 10th, 2021, 9:11 am No, but you can still reload a lot cheaper than buying commercial. Try plated or coated bullets. They both work great.
I've tried plated bullets in the past but never liked them. But in retrospect, some of my reasons for preferring jacketed aren't as important when supply is in the state it is. Maybe it's time to look at coated again. At least for 9mm & maybe 45. Other calibers are lower volume so I'm not as concerned.
I was in the same camp as you. I didn’t like plated bullets. And to some extent I still don’t. I found 1k Speer Plated 9mm 115 gr CPRN bullets at Powder Valley and scooped them up. They were inexpensive enough. They were the only 9mm bullets I could find at that time. Like many many years ago I started having issues with them right away. Biggest problem is the copper plating separating from the lead core. Mostly in my revolver. I am not pushing them too hard. With that said I also purchased Berries Bullets and XTreme Bullets later on which are plated and I have had zero problems and am having good luck with them.

Now, I also bought 115gr Powder Coated bullets from DG based on a recommendation from a user here. And with those I have had a unique issue. I shoot my 9mm out of a Glock 17 Gen 2, a Sig P228 and a Smith & Wesson 547. I have never loaded 9mm PC bullets before. With the PC bullets, for the first time I had failure to feed issues with my Glock on 2 different loads and a failure to feed on 1 load for my Sig which was a different load than the 2 for my Glock. So the challenge was to find a single loading that worked for both guns that also hit to POA (or thereabouts). I tried 2 different charges of Titegroup, Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot and Green Dot. And what worked fine at the higher charge did not work at the lower charge and vice versa. And as bad luck would have it some of the loads didn’t hit close enough to POA for my taste. It turns out I had the best luck with Green Dot and I have been quite happy with the results. On top of my two guns they also worked flawlessly in my nephew’s S&W Shield and Sig 365. I use Green Dot predominantly in my 30 cal reduced rifle loadings. So it was interesting to see that Green Dot worked best for 9mm coated bullets in both of my semis when I have never liked Green Dot for 9mm before. In my 9mm revolver the Speer bullets had the worst time with the plating separation. The bullets never keyholed. But plating separation was worse in my revolver. The coated bullets shoot fine with all loadings I tried in the revolver except for some hitting to POA. Now that I am casting my own boolits and powder coating them I feel confident that they will work flawlessly with the right load.

In summary I had a fun and interesting time with the PC bullets as I never had a failure to feed before in either my Glock or Sig. And to find that a powder I never liked for 9mm worked the best generally in all my guns with the PC bullets was also interesting. I almost didn’t load any Green dot loads except I always have the attitude of “You never know unless you try”.

In the meantime I have been finding FMJ 124gr bullets available from Xtreme Bullets lately and I have been buying them as I free up a little extra funds for bullets. They look as good as any other FMJ I have ever purchased. I have not loaded them yet but I expect they will shoot similarly to the Montana Gold and Sierra bullets I am used to buying.

I hope this information is helpful to you.