Reloading for Carry?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
knockonit
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Reloading for Carry?

Post by knockonit »

much ado about nothing imo
Rj

Harrier

Post by Harrier »

High Standard wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 5:55 am Many many years ago I bought some commercial ammo, I believe they were Gold Dots...
I took them to the range and the first one did not go bang. ...
I took it apart and the primer did not ignite.
if a revolver...Pull the trigger again
if a semi.. do failure drill- slap, rack, trigger ...and hope it wasn't a squib
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

Harrier wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 6:44 am
High Standard wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 5:55 am Many many years ago I bought some commercial ammo, I believe they were Gold Dots...
I took them to the range and the first one did not go bang. ...
I took it apart and the primer did not ignite.
if a revolver...Pull the trigger again
if a semi.. do failure drill- slap, rack, trigger ...and hope it wasn't a squib
That is one reason I use revolvers. And no it was not a squib. Just a primer that refused to do it’s job.
samnev

Post by samnev »

I've been reloading for 40 years and can count one 1 hand the number of rounds that were duds. But I only use commercial ((at Present Critical Defense) when I carry.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Well took them out for a test run today. Glad I did .. the Sig 229 ate them up like it wasnt a thing and I STILL love the round. My Sig is a lot like my Gp100. I think if I could get a primer in a pile of poop it would fire out of those guns.

My M&P ... no joy. On three mags loaded with 6 rounds each the second one up would fail to go into battery. Now my first round was an aluminum case factory round and plenty soft, followed by 5 of my new rounds.

Number 1 would fire .. number two would require a tap and 3,4,5,6 would fire normally.

Still ... It was an experiment and I learned something. So I may just use these in the sig and keep using the factory rounds I have for the M&P. The M&P never fails with factory rounds or my new 165 grain reloads but the Sig has never failed to eat anything I put in it.

I think the corners on the new brass were to defined .. Maybe I am crazy but it seemed to hang there? The same spicy loads using used brass works fine through the M&P.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well now, did you take a look at nose of boolit, had the same issue on a taurus, my reloads would'nt go into battery without assistance, so after much ado, we discovered the lead on the barrel was a tad less than all the other shooters i use reloads in, now the problem could be resolved by dropping boolit into case a tad farther a few thousands, but that was not the issue so to speak, it came across more that the one type of boolit was the issue the ogive was a tad different, enough to cause it to hit the lead and enough to stop it from going into battery, leaving a few almost negligible marks on boolit, they would shoot with a little nudge, but as we all know a semi auto is paramount inlieu of the nudgeamatic.

so had the lead cut a tad deeper, and low and behold success, and to confirm as i usually go two deep in most platforms, tried it in a factory unit, and had same issue as original, so off it went to smith to get a ream.
i do not have ammo and do not want to have ammo that works in specific gats, especially of one caliber. Best to resolve problem and initiate fix asap, and continue the confidence one has in factory.

happy thursday, just glad to make another one
Rj
dkizis
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by dkizis »

i would never carry reloads . if you think they would always cycle with out problems. i always carry factory
Bottom Gun

Post by Bottom Gun »

Some of my pistols have never fired a round of factory ammo.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Bottom Gun wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 8:06 am Some of my pistols have never fired a round of factory ammo.
None of my pistols have ever fired factory ammo except for the .22s and, of course, the setback Gold Dots I got from a cop a few times.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

I would never carry a hand-load round for defense UNLESS there was a complete unavailability of quality personal protection factory ammunition. Why? Two reasons:

1) Reliability and quality control. If I'm carrying Federal HST LE JHP124gr 9mm I'm thoroughly tested and proven personal protection round that outside of truly extraordinary situations is going to go bang when the pin hits the primer. It is also a round that has been proven time and time again to be seriously lethal (for a hand gun round anyway). So - it is a round that is going to do the job - and it is a round that has a huge amount of R&D behind it... Do I trust my hand-loads.. Yes. Do I have the same level of quality control - especially on stuff loaded on the progressive... not hardly.

2) Factory personal defense ammunition is a standard. "It is what it is." If I carry Federal HST LE JHP 124gr 9mm I am carrying a round that is carried by thousands of law enforcement personnel in their duty guns. If I were to use my firearm in my defense and a liberal county attorney chooses to put me through the wringer for it (think about the retired teacher who killed a man while hiking and the Coconino County Attorney persecuted him despite the local law enforcement asserting that they believed that he acted in self defense) I've taken away the opportunity for them to grand stand in front of the jury painting me as a blood-thirsty gun nut who made his own rounds that were particularly / unnecessarily deadly... You can bet that they will do this if you shoot someone with hot hand loads and an anti-gun prosecutor decides that they want to make an example out of you. Carrying factory ammunition takes this away from them.

Just my 2 cents...
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Oh - and as to how I manage my carry rounds... I number magazines and every few months when practicing with my carry gun I shoot out the oldest magazine of personal defense rounds before going to ball rounds. That magazine gets a couple of months of rest, and the next mag in line gets loaded with fresh carry rounds and put in the back of the line. This buys me a couple of things - including cycling through rounds and ensuring that wear and tear on the gun has not changed how it relates with that particular set of rounds. Probably overkill - but hey...