SHTF ammo

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

SHTF ammo

Post by smithers599 »

I usually keep my carbine mags loaded with practice ammo (55 FMJ), but things being the way they are, I am keeping a few mags loaded with my SHTF ammo -- CorBon DPX 62. I also have one 20-rounder loaded with TAP Barrier Blind.

What's in your magazines?

Suck My Glock

Re: SHTF ammo

Post by Suck My Glock »

Handloads topped by a 60 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I think its a good idea. I have 69gr ballistic tip and SMK in a few loaded mags ready to go. All other mags are just loaded with 55gr FMJ.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

XM855. Might need to shoot through something..
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

62gr Core-Lokt 25.x gr H-335 or BLC2
Conelrad

Post by Conelrad »

M80 ball. The rest doesn't matter so much.

Conelrad
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, the shtf ammo is what ya got when you need it, attempting to maintain a supply of "SHTF" ammo is well, a pipe dream, unless you are saving it for that "special SHTF'' scenario.
just saying. ammo is ammo............and calibers is calibers
Rj
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Not a bad plan
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

yip, never heard any one say. dammit, wished i'd been shot with ball ammo, or hey maybe a hollowpoint, things mighta worked out different. lol world is crazy, or maybe i am

Rj
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

XM193 556
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

knockonit wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:07 pm yip, never heard any one say. dammit, wished i'd been shot with ball ammo, or hey maybe a hollowpoint, things mighta worked out different. lol world is crazy, or maybe i am

Rj
Yes. With proper shot placement, the bullet type doesn't matter much. If you are getting solid hits with FMJ, then you don't need anything more than that. But I want massively destructive effect even if only land peripheral hits or limbs, which is why I have my load using explosively expanding Ballistic Tip Noslers. They are also very accurate and allow me to craft a round more precise than I can buy. I like the fact that within 300 yards, if I only hit an arm or leg, that limb will likely be destroyed and the target incapacitated.
was21

Post by was21 »

2nd rule of a gunfight..... “ have bullets”

OP.... I should introduce you to the guy that came up with the 1st rule sometime.🤣. You might like him.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Suck My Glock wrote: July 30th, 2020, 2:10 pm
knockonit wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:07 pm yip, never heard any one say. dammit, wished i'd been shot with ball ammo, or hey maybe a hollowpoint, things mighta worked out different. lol world is crazy, or maybe i am

Rj
Yes. With proper shot placement, the bullet type doesn't matter much. If you are getting solid hits with FMJ, then you don't need anything more than that. But I want massively destructive effect even if only land peripheral hits or limbs, which is why I have my load using explosively expanding Ballistic Tip Noslers. They are also very accurate and allow me to craft a round more precise than I can buy. I like the fact that within 300 yards, if I only hit an arm or leg, that limb will likely be destroyed and the target incapacitated.

lol, and what ya gonna do when you run out of the
"explosively expanding Ballistic Tip Noslers", gonna give up....................just funning, what ever works for what ever reason, i'm just not buying into super duper especial boolits to put someone down
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

knockonit wrote: July 30th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Rj

"explosively expanding Ballistic Tip Noslers", gonna give up....................just funning, what ever works for what ever reason, i'm just not buying into super duper especial boolits to put someone down
Well obviously I will use whatever I have. And yes, I do have a lot of FMJ gov-spec on hand for everything from practice to combat if ever gets to that. But since the likelihood of me surviving an initial engagement that goes beyond 500 rounds expended is close to zero,...I'll be happy to be relegated to that sucky FMJ stuff if I live long enough to have to resort to it. :violence-rapidfire:
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Suck My Glock wrote: July 30th, 2020, 10:35 pm
knockonit wrote: July 30th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Well obviously I will use whatever I have. And yes, I do have a lot of FMJ gov-spec on hand for everything from practice to combat if ever gets to that. But since the likelihood of me surviving an initial engagement that goes beyond 500 rounds expended is close to zero,...I'll be happy to be relegated to that sucky FMJ stuff if I live long enough to have to resort to it. :violence-rapidfire:

lol