40 S&W lswc?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

40 S&W lswc?

Post by Boriqua »

Looking to pick up some more bullets for range work. I really like the coated lead and found some 155 and 170gr coated LSWC's.

I know they will work fine in my 10mm revolver but am not sure about feeding in my semi auto 40's and looking for input.

I still have some 500 180 grain RFN so I'm in no rush

Intel6

Re: 40 S&W lswc?

Post by Intel6 »

I have never had much luck with LSWC's in semi auto 40's. Typically you load LSWC bullets with a bit of the shoulder above the edge of the case like you do with SWC's in .45 ACP. That caused chambering problems for me and I stopped trying to get them to work. If you can try some samples I would before buying a bunch or just stick with the round shoulder or TC design.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Thanks Intel!
Car16

Post by Car16 »

I didn't have good luck with lswc I got so-so feeding with lead I liked the round nose 155 grain the best
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Same here... after analyzing I determined that seating shaved lead into a ring above the case mouth causing failure to seat jams... I took a dental pick and twirled the lead ring off to fix that issue, then found that even with a generous bell, the bullet shoulder has to be almost even with the mouth... not too close to jam on the mouth and not too far to cause OAL jams... way too much trouble for a few cheap LSWC.