Less than Lethal

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
ex462
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Less than Lethal

Post by ex462 »

Any one here load any less than lethal 12 ga rounds? Any special kind? In these times I may have to try some.Any thoughts?

littleleft

Re: Less than Lethal

Post by littleleft »

i have some bean bag rounds. looked online with same part number, none available. old police rounds i guess. i can find explosive or major damage rounds but not less lethal rounds now. will be looking more,i like less lethal rounds with shot gun then if that doesnt work have plenty other options.
ex462

Post by ex462 »

My father told me that at one time he had used rock salt and sawdust on cattle,only time I have ever heard that.
Flash

Post by Flash »

My Dad told me he got shot with rock salt while stealing watermelons when he was a kid.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Back in Dad's day when he was on Phx.P.D. (circa 1972), "less lethal" was firing birdshot into the pavement directly in front of rioters and skipping shot into their legs. If anyone charged the line, they were fired on directly.
Pscipio03

Post by Pscipio03 »

https://www.officerstore.com/store/prod ... -Box-of-5/

If that's the route you want to go down.
tdog90yj

Post by tdog90yj »

Suck My Glock wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 5:46 am Back in Dad's day when he was on Phx.P.D. (circa 1972), "less lethal" was firing birdshot into the pavement directly in front of rioters and skipping shot into their legs. If anyone charged the line, they were fired on directly.
THIS. Was SOP for AZ DOC until 2006. May have changed since then. There was a change to steel shot as there was a concern with the lead as well.
That being said I also purchased some 00 rubber buck shot from S&B many moons ago. It was cool but :roll:
redj

Post by redj »

I am not sure why I would ever need less than lethal rounds in any gun.
What ever happened to the " do not point a gun at anything you do not want to destroy or kill " ?
Pscipio03

Post by Pscipio03 »

Do they make more than lethal rounds? Think I would grab a box or two of those.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Pscipio03 wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 10:58 pm Do they make more than lethal rounds? Think I would grab a box or two of those.
I think that's what 40mm is.
jlfornoff

Post by jlfornoff »

i know that you can buy pepper balls that fit a paintball gun. you may be able to fit those in a 12 gauge.
https://www.choicepaintballguns.com/les ... l-gun-ammo
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

They would come apart. If you have your paintball gun running too hot it will pop them in the tube. Ball speeds are usually around 300fps.

Buy a paintball gun and fire away. Mine is full-auto, has a 250 round hopper, remote air in a tactical vest, with 4 spare ball tubes...
jlfornoff

Post by jlfornoff »

XJThrottle wrote: June 9th, 2020, 9:27 am They would come apart. If you have your paintball gun running too hot it will pop them in the tube. Ball speeds are usually around 300fps.

Buy a paintball gun and fire away. Mine is full-auto, has a 250 round hopper, remote air in a tactical vest, with 4 spare ball tubes...
are they weaker than regular paintballs?

i have my paintball gun set with nos with an electronic butterfly trigger. i tend to cut balls in half because the gun fires faster than i can feed them. i need to get a force feed hopper for mine.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I have a Tippman A5 with an E-trigger. The A5 is force fed. If it gets going to too fast they just seem to come a part more frequently. This is regular balls.

If you've already got a Pb gun, use it...lol

I think there was a video floating around, maybe here, where some cops in riot gear get out of their armored truck because someone was blocking the road. About three of them just popped off a few at the jackass' feet with regular PB guns. Rather funny, as the person videoing thought they were actually shooting them with live rounds.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

CO2 has a gentler push than gunpowder. The balls are only designed to withstand that level of stress. Anything stronger, such as being propelled by gunpowder, will cause the skin the balls are made of to rupture. It is possible to manufacture balls with thicker skin that will live up to those stresses and remain intact under acceleration,...but then they are so strong that they don't as easily rupture upon impact, leaving even more severe skin impact injuries and maybe not rupturing and delivering the pepper powder at all in the first place.

Back about 30 years ago, when paintballs were not yet standardized, there were several different diameters available for different systems. .68 caliber reigns today, but at one point, there was a .62 caliber and even a .50 caliber (used only in the Crossman revolvers). Because 20gauge is .615 caliber, there were a few people attempting to handload the .62 caliber paintballs in super light 20ga. loadings so as to come up with a Bubba DIY Simunition ammo for force-on-force training. It proved to be VERY difficult to get a load that was low powered enough to not shred the ball in the bore before it even left the muzzle, yet have enough ooomph to clear the barrel and not lodge in the bore.