small primer question

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
pvreb
ArizonaShooting.org Member

small primer question

Post by pvreb »

I deprimed a bunch of .45 ACP cases, mostly range pickups, this afternoon. Came across a hundred fifty or so with small primers. Some of those with large primers had off center hits. Got to wondering if anyone has had problems with the firing pins hitting small primers. Just curious--I load only large primers, and my pistols center the firing pins on the primers.

Bigfoot

Re: small primer question

Post by Bigfoot »

Having two different size primers on one caliber is going to suck picking up from the range...or even if you buy factory ammo then try to reload that.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

If you want to keep them I mark mine with dykem layout fluid. I have never had a problem with any small primers going off except, just like the large primers, you might have 1 or 2 in 10k that might not work.
Pscipio03

Post by Pscipio03 »

To answer your question- if someone is getting high/low primer strikes so wide that it misses a small primer, the firing pin hole has been hogged out or the breach face is just jacked. So, no, I've never seen one that bad.
I've only got maybe one or two 45's that hit COM on a primer. Most are a hair above or below. But I've never seen one that far off center.