Beware of Frontier (hornady) ammo

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
TheJediknight
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Beware of Frontier (hornady) ammo

Post by TheJediknight »

FenixMike wrote: May 10th, 2020, 8:37 pm Just verified. Youre wrong... unless my eyes are deceiving me and these are actually two identical bullets I just pulled out. Maybe the defect was they forgot 30 grains of lead in each projectile.

On the left is a BTHP (Boat Tail Hollow Point). That is the Match Grade.....

On the right is a FMJ-BT W/C (Full Metal Jacket-Boat Tail-With Cannelure)

The Hollowpoint that is being referred to in Match Grade Rounds are for trajectory only.

It helps them fly through the air and get good groups.

It does not expand on impact....

Data from the BIBLE ( Hornady Book of Reloading)

shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t ... ts/14131/7

"In olden days, open point and hollow point were used interchageably. A formed or drilled cavity in the bullet’s nose meant to initiate and enhance expansion in game animals. Two different names for the same thing, influenced by the marketing departments of ammunition manufacturers.

Today, hollow point still means the same thing. Open Tip is a new term that’s been adopted by the U.S. Military to describe match bullets that have a small hollow point or tip that is the by-product of the bullet making process. The adoption of this nomenclature was the result of a JAG ruling in 1990 when the new 7.62MM NATO M852 MATCH was adopted to replace the older M118. The M118 was loaded with the FMJ 173 grain bullet whereas the M852 used the 168 grain Sierra International which had a hollow point. The JAG ruling was meant to allow the use of the M852 in combat. Many field commanders refused to let their snipers use the ammunition in spite of the JAG ruling. It would have been their snipers who were shot or hanged, not an attorney behind a desk in Washington."

Last edited by shooter444 on May 11th, 2020, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

AZ1182,... I made mention, above, about OTM nose openings being the result of manufacturing, so I tried to search and find verification. Came across this article, and thought it would more than suffice. You added an interesting, personal twist, to it, thanks!

Creator Endowed Unalienable Human Rights, forever!

My inglorious foe/ignore list !

17-21-23
Crippletrigger
HDS
Marine1
Ranger1
Razorback
YNOTAZ
redj
smithers599
Steve_in_29
stomp442
MarkItZero
Jamnmike
Last edited by shooter444 on May 12th, 2020, 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Ben7 wrote: May 11th, 2020, 7:18 am
FenixMike wrote: May 10th, 2020, 10:01 pm
Ben7 wrote: May 10th, 2020, 9:00 pm Equal amount of powder in each case?
While I dont have a scale, visually the 55 gr case appeared to have more powder. Tough to say if Hornady just stuck loaded 55 gr ammo in with the 75 gr stuff somehow, or something else occurred. I haven't shot any of the 55 grain stuff.
That would lead me to believe that the it was mispackaged rather than misloaded. Still sucks, but it is most likely safe to shoot.
I wonder who they have working the packaging side of the house. The only time I had bullet issues with anyone it was with military pulled bullets. I got them by the barrel full. Now I know they are pulled but when I called them after finding wrong bullets they fixed the problem pretty quickly. Doesn't Hornaday have a service number for call?
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Ballistic Therapy posted some questions on Frontier ammo, September 2019, might make for some good info? Seem’s some have the dreaded kaboom factor?
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

xerts1191 wrote: May 11th, 2020, 5:21 pm Ballistic Therapy posted some questions on Frontier ammo, September 2019, might make for some good info? Seem’s some have the dreaded kaboom factor?
If your talking about the kaboom thread on the ar15 site , I think it is complete BS.
The guy first say's it was Frontier ammo , then later say's it was another ammo.
Then he say's the gun was sent to Hornady and he would let everyone know what they said.
To this day he has not made a response on what Hornady said even though he has been ask about it several times since.

I have been shooting Hornady ammo for years and never had a problem one with it.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

I hope so, I’ve bought a lot of their products over the years, most of it reloading related, never had a problem.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

This will be interesting to follow to the end... I would have though they used separate production lines or at least different setup at different time so that this couldn't happen... would like to hear their reaction.

Wonder if someone along the way (distributor employee) could have siphoned off a few rounds per box replacing them with FMJ, figuring a dealer would get stuck with the lot selling them off 1z 2z to walk-in customers...
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Yup sure would like to know how Hornady will get around this.
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

Isn't that kind of like, "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"
lostdog99

Post by lostdog99 »

Jack Dupp wrote: May 10th, 2020, 6:50 pm I'm not so sure those are FMJs mixed in. I think they are just OTMs like the rest that tip got smashed or closed up in manufacturing/assembly.
There are definitely FMJ's mixed in with "hollow points" (now referred to as Open Tip Match, or OTM). As already mentioned OTM is a function of their process not a design for the sake of expansion. The jacket of OTM bullets are thicker to maintain dimensions better.

Definitely contact Hornady to resolve this, for you, and for future buyers.