Price gouging in the classifieds - holy $hit

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Price gouging in the classifieds - holy $hit

Post by XJThrottle »

It was $179/1000 at BassPro (online) the other day. Was a thread here somewhere...

Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: May 4th, 2020, 9:43 am
Elk34 wrote: May 4th, 2020, 6:21 am I've been a mechanic all my life. I get a good laugh out of how much a dealership charges for certain services.
Then sometimes they are cheaper.
I just purchased a set of tires for my truck at Holmes Tuttle Ford.
With an oil change they were still $400 less than Discount Tire for the exact same tire.
Certain services......the brake job for my tahoe was around 1k at dealership. Even paying for the rotors, pads and turning the rotors my self with a fluid flush was around 390
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

glock holiday wrote: May 4th, 2020, 12:36 pm
Elk34 wrote: May 4th, 2020, 9:30 am The 9mm is still $1 per round . I don't want to sell it. But if someone needs it more than me, that's the price.
Guys if some of you are newbs here and really don’t have any 9mm just buy from here .20 a round not $1...don’t let idiots and leeches that need attention try and rip you off from the forum..usually everyone here is like a friend but some are here to be dumb...we had a few on the other forum and it seems that a few crawled into this one also.. :whistle: even if you have to pay tax and shipping..

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... 190a1c0e0e
Yes, by all means do what he says. But I'm going to tell all you newbies, you screw around and not buy it when it's cheap and plentiful, well your in for a bad day
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Man, some of you guys with the "price gouging" stuff. I can understand complaints if they are for items necessary for survival (ie, water, food, etc) - but for things that are not immediately necessary to survive - and despite what some would like to believe, 'ammo' is not necessary for survival - people can ask whatever they want for it. Don't like the price? Don't buy it! Almost everything has a price someone is willing to take to sell something, and if someone posts a prohibitively high price for something, that's the line that they are willing to draw for parting with that item and it's deliberately high.

Say you had a FN2000 rifle that you like and have zero intention of selling. Its market value based on gunbroker ads and other is probably somewhere around $2000. If you want to keep it, you probably wouldn't part with it for $2000. Maybe not even for $3000. However, what if someone offered you $5000 to buy it? Would you take it? If so, is that price gouging? Most would sell it for that amount outside of some sentimental value associated with it.

Someone proactively putting up an ad with an item "for sale at X price" post isn't price gouging. It's not taking advantage of the situation. It's simply someone saying that I have something that I'd prefer to keep and don't really want to sell, but if someone offers me X price for it, I am willing to part with it.

Same could apply to your vehicle. I'm sure you aren't wanting to sell your car, but if someone offered you a certain amount for it, there is a line where you'd say that for X amount, I won't sell it, but for Y amount, you can have my vehicle.

Am I missing something?
baja
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by baja »

And if you don't like the price you can always make an offer.
glock holiday

Post by glock holiday »

admin wrote: May 4th, 2020, 2:06 pm Man, some of you guys with the "price gouging" stuff. I can understand complaints if they are for items necessary for survival (ie, water, food, etc) - but for things that are not immediately necessary to survive - and despite what some would like to believe, 'ammo' is not necessary for survival - people can ask whatever they want for it. Don't like the price? Don't buy it! Almost everything has a price someone is willing to take to sell something, and if someone posts a prohibitively high price for something, that's the line that they are willing to draw for parting with that item and it's deliberately high.

Say you had a FN2000 rifle that you like and have zero intention of selling. Its market value based on gunbroker ads and other is probably somewhere around $2000. If you want to keep it, you probably wouldn't part with it for $2000. Maybe not even for $3000. However, what if someone offered you $5000 to buy it? Would you take it? If so, is that price gouging? Most would sell it for that amount outside of some sentimental value associated with it.

Someone proactively putting up an ad with an item "for sale at X price" post isn't price gouging. It's not taking advantage of the situation. It's simply someone saying that I have something that I'd prefer to keep and don't really want to sell, but if someone offers me X price for it, I am willing to part with it.

Same could apply to your vehicle. I'm sure you aren't wanting to sell your car, but if someone offered you a certain amount for it, there is a line where you'd say that for X amount, I won't sell it, but for Y amount, you can have my vehicle.

Am I missing something?
It’s called keep it to yourself...people don’t need to know I have a bunch of guns that I don’t want to sell but if you your interested in them I’ll sell it for 5 times the amount..if I’m gunna sell something I’ll post an ad...you waste so much time if people make a post about what they have but are willing to sell it and then want 5-10x the amount during a pandemic...I don’t care that ammo is non essential right now and is not the same as bleach or TP...when you promote yourself at that time it just makes you look dumb..if you notice the ads of this so called price gouging, there isn’t anyone interested cause it’s stupid...it’s just there for comedy and confusion but just to make you look like an idiot.Admin don’t think I’m trying to get smart with you because your not the cause, there’s just things that get weeded out in life...there’s always that troublemaker that gets put in the corner of the class and that’s what this is about...you can’t do anything about it but I will say that people never forget...you don’t see me replying to any of these ads starting trouble, it’s not what I do..I come on here for good deals like anyone else and to get good information...no one sits on a toilet that’s covered in crap, you go to the next...but you do let someone know about it and steer them clear of it...and of course this is just my opinion and like Dalton once said “Opinions Vary”
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

:text-deletetopic: :teasing-blahyellow: :teasing-poke: :obscene-tolietclaw: :angry-banghead:
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

^ I concur.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

knockonit wrote: May 4th, 2020, 3:27 pm :text-deletetopic: :teasing-blahyellow: :teasing-poke: :obscene-tolietclaw: :angry-banghead:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My post was not directed towards any specific post here or anywhere else, but in general regarding complaints about "price gouging" in forums. I am certainly not defending Elk34's actions - he's caused me more effort moderating that I generally want to exert, but that said, I do always find these "price gouging versus free market" threads that pop up at times interesting thought experiments and discussions.

During post-Sandy Hook, I decided to post a Colt AR-15 for sale on backpage for about 3 times what I paid for it. I didn't really want to sell it (was my only "Colt" branded AR), but if someone wanted it that badly and I didn't get an icky vibe from the person wanting it, then I'd be wiling to part with it for that price. It sold within 15 minutes of me posting it. I guess you could say I was price gouging. If I were to have sold it for what I paid for it, I guarantee you that 80% of those who would have been interested in it would have flipped it for considerably more money within days. Heck, the whole premise of the stock market is essentially 'price gouging' by most forum-poster definitions, no? In this thread here, unless the OP tried to corner the market on 9mm, then you can laugh at his for sale ad all you want, but he has a right to post it - and you have the right to think he's insane/dumb/smart/crazy/whatever. If it's not a viable price, it won't sell; period - and as long as people can find 9mm ammo reasonably easy for less money; which isn't hard to do even now - then his ad will gather dust and look silly.

I'm not sure I could completely comprehend what glock holiday posted, but trying my best to decipher it...

So where's the line between what's 'stupid' and what's 'fine' when selling something? If someone posted 1K rounds of 9mm for $200 that's a deal that someone would jump on quickly (and frankly, there's probably a 50% chance the buyer would flip it for more money). What about selling 1K rounds of 9mm for $500? Is that a for sale ad that would be worthy of ridicule? What about 1K for $600? $650? $675? Where's the $1 line between what's an OK price to post it and what's a stupid price to post it at?
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

I'm just waiting to see who pays him a buck a round so we can pick on him!
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

AZ Husker wrote: May 4th, 2020, 5:12 pm I'm just waiting to see who pays him a buck a round so we can pick on him!
LOL, i mightjust buy in your name so we can pick on you :o :clap: :lol:
Rj
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Admin, thanks for the explanation, but i figure its your joint, and we get to play here, so if some knuckleheads wanna whine, let'm its typical of non involved gun owners to whine about something they have not participated in or criticize the method or means, watched it go on almost every site i'm on, and being the hypocrite i am, can you like speed it up. hehehe, just kidding, just enjoy being here harrassing the knuckleheads of azs.org

happy monday smuckettes, some of you deserve it you others, well............................... :whistle:
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

Or, the other possibility (probability). He put the stupid crap up at 5 times the value just to be a clown, and get everyone to call him names, like ohhhh I don't know; A TROLL. And don't call him Ranger cuz that would be silly, yeah right.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well now, doing that specifically to troll is another story.