5.7x28mm reloading tips

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
jlfornoff
ArizonaShooting.org Member

5.7x28mm reloading tips

Post by jlfornoff »

Has anyone really tackled reloading the 5.7x28? I know it can be a pain in the butt in order to actually achieve it. I'm going to be buying the dies here soon and wanted to see if there is anything I should do in order to make the process easier? I'll be using a Lee single stage press (I haven't taken the steps to get into progressives just yet. I prefer single-stage). as of right now I've only tackled .44mag and, .444marlin (easy to reload). is there something I should buy/do in order to make it easier?

shooter444

Re: 5.7x28mm reloading tips

Post by shooter444 »

(dupe from your other post :D)

jlfornoff,... 5.7x28 is a bottle neck case, that seats on the shoulder, totally different than 44mag or marlin444. Setting your full length sizing die is pretty standard, but there are some more detailed processes you may wish to consider.

There are a multitude of tools on the market for determining proper case/shoulder length,... but, I found the Wilson Case Gage to be BY FAR the most easy and precise of them all.

Rather than explain the use in this post, which can be misunderstood,.... here is a link to a video explanation, that covers proper use, quite nicely.

All the best,... be safe.

jlfornoff

Post by jlfornoff »

Thank you very much this video will help out greatly!
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

My pleasure.
dustmaker

Post by dustmaker »

I read a great deal and I saw an article about reloading the 5.7 for a P90 I believe and it was as complicated a procedure as it gets. You needed special powder to get the correct burning /power curve to make the cartridge shoot as the original maker FN intended. Everything was very specific in regards to the components used.

Now again that was for a P90, so I'm not sure if the 5.7 pistols were just as finicky. Research would be needed to avoid costly mistakes I think.

dusty
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Its finicky as all hell.
Nephew used my setup to load for his PS90 and 57.

.1gr variation can blow the case.
The primer pockets loosen up FAST.
The lube on the case (only important for PS90) needs to be there or itll choke when it gets dirty.
The shoulder gets moved a bunch (also only in PS90 that I've seen).
The brass is pretty thin.

There are a good number of powders you can use. Fast pistol powders.

Just the thought of a progressive cranking these out without SERIOUS checking every few cases makes me cringe after a mid charge of True Blue was over by .1 gr and loosened the primer pocket. He noticed something different and examined the case. Voila no primer. Wouldn't hold a primer in place when we got back.