45 ACP cases

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
delta6
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 45 ACP cases

Post by delta6 »

This is the method I have used for years. Solves the primer size issue on the 45's, eliminates the 380's mixed with the 9mm's, identifies the crimped primer pockets and sorts out the Berdaned cases.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click

shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

And after handling each one to check primer pocket size, before priming,... when you take it off the press, you can run your index finger across the primer to confirm proper depth.

:geek:

My inglorious foe/ignore list !

17-21-23
Crippletrigger
HDS
Marine1
Ranger1
Razorback
YNOTAZ
redj
smithers599
Steve_in_29
stomp442
MarkItZero
Jamnmike
Flash

Post by Flash »

Mrs. Flash has learned to detect the small primer .45 cases on sight.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

:lol: :clap:
knockonit wrote: April 17th, 2020, 10:43 am some brain surgeon thought it would be a great idea, maybe they shoulda removed his brain so he didn't fudge up someone elses life.
just saying, stupid crap
:lol: :clap:
delta6

Post by delta6 »

AZ1182 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:53 am That looks like more work than actually needed. I like my method better, it's faster and does the job way better at less cost. No tray, tweezers, bin, or magnifying glass needed. Just a single stage and an LED desk lamp, plus mk1 eyeball.
AZ1182:
You maybe correct, but when you shoot 60K plus rounds a year, you eventually run out of time. Single stage and eye balls just don't cut it. :think:
delta6

Post by delta6 »

AZ1182 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:13 pm
delta6 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:09 pm
AZ1182 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:53 am That looks like more work than actually needed. I like my method better, it's faster and does the job way better at less cost. No tray, tweezers, bin, or magnifying glass needed. Just a single stage and an LED desk lamp, plus mk1 eyeball.
AZ1182:
You maybe correct, but when you shoot 60K plus rounds a year, you eventually run out of time. Single stage and eye balls just don't cut it. :think:
So what are you going to do since both yours and mine isn't fast enough?
Mine works fine. While harvesting wheat in Colorado, we loaded 40K of 9MM in July. Plenty fast enough.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

i use the same method of delta6, and generally sort a 5 gal bucket over a weeks time, out on patio, turn on some old time rock and roll, open up a barley pop and run a gaggle, slurp some barley pop, breath, and repeat, and an occasional sprint around yard to get the blood moving in the legs, which also entail watering a tree in the yard, and then repeat. quite satisfying, beer, music gun work, so to speak and man shiat.
Rj
delta6

Post by delta6 »

AZ1182 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:37 pm
delta6 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:15 pm
AZ1182 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:13 pm So what are you going to do since both yours and mine isn't fast enough?
Mine works fine. While harvesting wheat in Colorado, we loaded 40K of 9MM in July. Plenty fast enough.
But that was more time consuming than how I was and still am doing it, which is faster. I'm just saying that simply because it works for you, it may not, and is evidently not, the best for everyone. By the time you filled up one tray, dropped somewhere else to inspect, and then put a magnifying glass and take the tweezers and start looking, I am already done with that amount both culled and sized what stays, and am moving on while you still haven't sized yet, which was my whole point.

YMMV, take care.
Cool.. send us a video and we can compare.. rounds loaded per hour. Can't wait.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

AZ1182 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:57 pm
delta6 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:49 pm
AZ1182 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:37 pm But that was more time consuming than how I was and still am doing it, which is faster. I'm just saying that simply because it works for you, it may not, and is evidently not, the best for everyone. By the time you filled up one tray, dropped somewhere else to inspect, and then put a magnifying glass and take the tweezers and start looking, I am already done with that amount both culled and sized what stays, and am moving on while you still haven't sized yet, which was my whole point.

YMMV, take care.
Cool.. send us a video and we can compare.. rounds loaded per hour. Can't wait.
Who is this "us" exactly? And we're talking about culling and sizing, not loading and that itself is goalpost stretching.

Plus I'm not going to buy stuff to make videos just to prolong this purse fight, that money can be better suited to other things more useful to me.
Xactly what I thought.. thanx for your input.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

:dance: Hmmm, maybe I can make your both feel like winners.

I just changed over to load some cast lead RN, for 45acp. After wet tumbling, it took me two hours to size, prime, expand case mouths, lube bullets, weigh powder, seat and crimp, all in individual single steps,......... to produce 50 cartridges!!!

That's right,... 2 hours per 50,... well, maybe 1&1/2 hours, :whistle: guess I am the loser in this competition!

My inglorious foe/ignore list !

17-21-23
Crippletrigger
HDS
Marine1
Ranger1
Razorback
YNOTAZ
redj
smithers599
Steve_in_29
stomp442
MarkItZero
Jamnmike
Last edited by shooter444 on May 13th, 2020, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

AZ1182 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 7:49 pm
delta6 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 7:11 pm
AZ1182 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:57 pm Who is this "us" exactly? And we're talking about culling and sizing, not loading and that itself is goalpost stretching.

Plus I'm not going to buy stuff to make videos just to prolong this purse fight, that money can be better suited to other things more useful to me.
Xactly what I thought.. thanx for your input.
No, you didn't win as you stretched the goalposts and made this internet differences of getting things done too personal. So no, not exactly as you thought because you included an extra step that was not even in this conversation. Your video was about culling and separating, not loading as well. You added the loading to it, something else entirely different and out of left field to be plainly honest.

I simply aborted the purse swinging because you you took it to a 10 and so I left it at that.
An so now your ultimate goal is case sorting... I thought this whole thread was about actually loading ammunition. I guess some guys just like to admire their processes. You win, if your a processor. I like to shoot.. so while your dickin' around... doin' what ever, we be shooting. PS: Don't whine...geesch.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I detest small primer 45acp.
In my opinion the only good thing I've found them good for is making an occasional shot shell cartridge.

use them and save the good brass.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

If anyone has any small primer 45acp brass they can't stand to look at any more, I'll gladly take them off your hands. And I'll sort it as fast or as slow as I want to.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

and another perfect example of why the gunnies of the world will always be fighting to keep our units, simple discussions turn into arguments over the most mundane of items, instead of coming together to fight the common foe, ....................the gun takers

who give a shiat what joe blow does, offering examples is one thing, planting a flag and claiming sovereignty over a process is about as silly as it gets. but if it makes your sail bellow, then so be it

happy hump day,
Rj
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

knockonit wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:16 am well checking primer pockets wasn't one of mine either until it became an issue, so now i go thru the process, nothing more frustrating than being on a roll and have a fubared primer issue
Rj
Agreed