Full Wadcutters in 1911

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Full Wadcutters in 1911

Post by shooter444 »

I am getting ready to load some cast full wadcutters for my 1911.

Anyone who has loaded same, have any tips, you may have learned the hard way?

thanks

p.s. I am asking for first hand, positive, experienced, loader's advice,.... ONLY,... PLEASE!
Last edited by shooter444 on April 14th, 2020, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shooter444

Re: Full Wadcutters in 1911

Post by shooter444 »

What was the problem?
Were they FULL WADCUTTERS or SEMI WADCUTTERS?
Last edited by shooter444 on April 14th, 2020, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

thanks
r0ttie1

Post by r0ttie1 »

shooter444 wrote: April 14th, 2020, 5:18 pm What was the problem?
Were they FULL WADCUTTERS or SEMI WADCUTTERS?
I load lead semi wadcutters with no issue. Never loaded full wadcutters.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Yeah, I have to say I've never seen any 1911, no matter how custom, ever eat full wadcutters. The only weapon in that caliber I would ever try it with is a Thompson because of the generous feed chute they have. I've seen those feed empty cases.
Roneyj

Post by Roneyj »

Forgive my ignorance on this subject but, why would someone want full wadcutters? I thought they were not the most accurate and as mentioned hard to feed in autos.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Roneyj, ... do a google search on 1911 competition target 38spl wadcutter pistols, and you will find a ton!
-------------------------------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadcutter

"A wadcutter is a special-purpose flat-fronted bullet specifically designed for shooting paper targets, usually at close range and at subsonic velocities typically under approximately 900 ft/s (274 m/s). Wadcutters have also found favor for use in self-defense guns, such as .38 caliber snubnosed revolvers, where, due to short barrel lengths, maximum bullet velocities are usually low, typically under 900 ft/s (274 m/s), and improved lethality is desired. Wadcutters are often used in handgun and airgun competitions."

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAHK ... 78&bih=403

------------------------------------------------------

Wadcutter projectiles were used and still are used for two factors,... one,they are very accurate, they have been used in competition for many DECADES... two, they cut a clean hole on targets,... too many ball ammo holes are questionable, in competition.

Sooo, I don't know where you heard that they are not accurate,... but, I would discard that source of info!

I first became aware of FULL WADCUTTERS in my 45acp REVOLVER. It was a light weight frame, and carrying while doing ranch chores was GREAT!! I carried it mostly for coyotes coming in for my cats, chickens, and kid goats. I loaded it up with WADCUTTERS because of the accuracy reports from competitors!!! Annnd,... I found that from shooting gophers, that just stick their heads out of their holes, that the straight edge of a WADCUTTER will cut into the ground and travel straight to the neck of the gopher,... where as, a 45acp ball bullet has a tendency to deflect off the ground and move off trajectory, accordingly! Again,... another testimony to the accuracy of a WADCUTTER!!

As for feeding in a 1911,... I am aware of the test to cycle EMPTY CASES to see if a specific 1911 model will cycle a WADCUTTER,... what I posted this post for, is info on some tips about some possible problems I am not aware of, from guys who have loaded FULL WADCUTTERS.
Roneyj

Post by Roneyj »

I knew they punched clean holes in paper for better scoring. What I read was that accuracy is limited to 24-50yds. I guess for pistol competition that is all you need. Thanks for the education. Good luck finding the right load.

-jr
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hmmm,... are you sure you didn't read that "MOST COMPETITION IS WITHIN 24 TO 50 YDS" ?

You may also want to consider that most self defense confrontations, requiring the use of a firearm, happen well within 24-50 yards. Which means, to me, that not only is a WADCUTTER all that is needed for competition,... but,... it is all that is needed for self defense,... as well!
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Sorry to hear that your 1911 couldn't feed SEMI WADCUTTERS. Sound like you had a pistol problem, since I have rarely heard of such problems in a 1911.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Well, I got back into 1911's about a year ago.

Picked up a Springfield Armory cheapo Defend Your Legacy Series 1911 Mil-Spec pistol.

Probably the nicest fit and functioning 1911 I have ever owned,... and, I cut my teeth on 1911's! It cycles empty brass without a hitch, but, loaded wadcutters may not cooperate,... will find out soon enough.

As to your smith claiming "That's a wadcutter for you. Best to stick to ball or some vetted JHP.",... I would seek a second opinion.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I'm sorry if you took my advice in a wrong vain.

I don't know your smith, personally, and it really doesn't much matter, in my opinion.

Opening feed ramps, lighter recoil spring, sometimes removing slide mass,... are standard, well know, often used, procedures to accommodate FULL WADCUTTER function in a 1911. I would assume, they could be used for the semi-wadcutter as well.

If the smith you are using, doesn't know this,... I strongly advise you to seek a second opinion.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

No, what I said is not incorrect.

No, I have no problem with answers I don't like,... but, you sure the hell do!

You have NOT ADDRESSED the spirit of this post, aka FULL WADCUTTERS, from the first word you typed, to the last. You tried to force your OFF TOPIC subject and opinion where it was not wanted. I tried to be polite, but, you are obviously stuck in the mind set that only expensive 1911's and popular 1911 smiths are of any value.

Good luck with that,... and have a nice day!
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

had issues with semi's changed to some other mags, supposedly intended for semi wad cutters and it did Ok, meaning it shot a few, did some ramp work, and misc. got better, but was advised maybe it would be just as easy to go back to ball, so i didn' no more investigation or attempts on my part, best with future use
Rj
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

bye-bye!