RUAG 5.56 SS109

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Joelgas1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

RUAG 5.56 SS109

Post by Joelgas1 »

Is anyone familiar with RAUG 5.56 SS109 ammo? Supposedly it was manufactured in Switzerland for special forces and military contracts. I’ve had a couple cases collecting dust that I’ve never shot, and trying to decide if I should shoot it or if it’s something I should hold onto.

badazmfr

Re: RUAG 5.56 SS109

Post by badazmfr »

Joelgas1 wrote: April 11th, 2020, 7:00 pm Is anyone familiar with RAUG 5.56 SS109 ammo? Supposedly it was manufactured in Switzerland for special forces and military contracts. I’ve had a couple cases collecting dust that I’ve never shot, and trying to decide if I should shoot it or if it’s something I should hold onto.
hey joe, it is swiss ammo that is very good. i have seen this in a few different configs over the years. i do know they always considered it infantry ammo and nato spec stuff. i do remember seeing how purdy the annealed brass was on the 63 grain stuff was on the strippers. :dance: :dance:

i do know they also make a 55 grain variety and also an m855 green 62 grain class as well. i was in italy some years back and saw them burning it off at a military featured machine gun shoot through some crazy unknown prototype super duper euro matrix type gun they were testing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

as for shooting it or storing it..... hmmm.. i always have to try some out unless it is sealed in an air tight waterproof pack. :D if you just have boxes and stuff it in ammo cans i would probably shoot a bit through a bolt gun and maybe some through a semi auto or f/a just to make sure your rig likes it. no good if it doesn't agree with bessie. ;) ;)

the prices can vary a bit and in todays market i don't even want to know. :roll: :roll:
Joelgas1

Post by Joelgas1 »

badazmfr wrote: April 11th, 2020, 7:25 pm

hey joe, it is swiss ammo that is very good. i have seen this in a few different configs over the years. i do know they always considered it infantry ammo and nato spec stuff. i do remember seeing how purdy the annealed brass was on the 63 grain stuff was on the strippers. :dance: :dance:

i do know they also make a 55 grain variety and also an m855 green 62 grain class as well. i was in italy some years back and saw them burning it off at a military featured machine gun shoot through some crazy unknown prototype super duper euro matrix type gun they were testing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

as for shooting it or storing it..... hmmm.. i always have to try some out unless it is sealed in an air tight waterproof pack. :D if you just have boxes and stuff it in ammo cans i would probably shoot a bit through a bolt gun and maybe some through a semi auto or f/a just to make sure your rig likes it. no good if it doesn't agree with bessie. ;) ;)

the prices can vary a bit and in todays market i don't even want to know. :roll: :roll:
Thanks for the great info! :D The beautiful annealing was the first thing I noticed when I opened up a box. Sounds like it’s something worth testing out. I think I’ll run some though my Remy 700 like you said and see what kind of grouping I get. :dance: :dance:
Geekmedic

Post by Geekmedic »

If you're familiar with Prime ammo it was Ruag who was manufacturing Prime for the first couple of years. Ruag makes a solid product.
Last edited by Geekmedic on April 12th, 2020, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joelgas1

Post by Joelgas1 »

Geekmedic wrote: April 12th, 2020, 10:04 am If you're familiar with Prime ammo it was Ruag who was manufacturing Prime for the first couple of years. Raug makes a solid product.
Sounds like the two battled it out in court...interestinG

Https://www.recoilweb.com/in-depth-repo ... 49196.html