Should I move to a turret press or progressive

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Roneyj
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Should I move to a turret press or progressive

Post by Roneyj »

I have been loading on a single stage RCBS for years. This was great for accuracy but not volume. Thinking about an upgrade. Should I go with a turret press or move on to a progressive press? Everything thing I read says to get a Dillon progressive but, Lee seems to be a better deal. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-jr

r0ttie1

Re: Should I move to a turret press or progressive

Post by r0ttie1 »

Roneyj wrote: March 31st, 2020, 6:28 pm I have been loading on a single stage RCBS for years. This was great for accuracy but not volume. Thinking about an upgrade. Should I go with a turret press or move on to a progressive press? Everything thing I read says to get a Dillon progressive but, Lee seems to be a better deal. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-jr
I don't think you can go wrong with Dillon. Can't beat the warranty.
azmp5

Post by azmp5 »

Imo, it really depends on how much you plan on reloading. Per week, per month, per year. Idk how much you are shooting, so I am being kinda vague.

I used (and still use) a dillon 550 for about 6 years before I got a 650. The sole reason for the 650 was because my main 2 things I reload are 9mm and 223. And I'm doing so about 1-2k a month. Using the 550, it wasnt bad, but got old quick. The 650, with the help of a case and bullet feeder, I fly through 1k in about an hour. So now, the 550 I use for all my other "low volume" calibers like 45, 308, 224, 357, ect. Short of the 45, the others I usually do in 50-100 round batches that I'm weighing powder out and being a little more meticulous about.

Imo, if it's a high(er) volume you are going to be doing, then get a 650 with a case and bullet feeder. If u don't get the case/bullet feeder, a 650 is essently a progressive 550.

As far as why a dillon, the biggest thing is warranty. Yeah, I'm sure the others have great warranties as well, but the # of times I've broken s*** because I was being dumb, admitted I was being dumb, and dillon still fixed for free. Plus the fact I can GO there and get the part if I need it the same day. Otherwise they ship for free as well.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

:text-yeahthat:
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

To answer your question directly,... I would say, DILLON. Never heard, or, read a bad report!

On the other hand, 8-) , I started with a single stage, and have stayed with a single stage for decades.

I just can't seem to overcome my OCD and upgrade to a progressive.

When I wanted a little more production,... I installed another single stage,... so I have one on my left and right side. As I said, my OCD won't allow me to not hand weigh each powder load, single stage seat and crimp each bullet, etc., etc.!

So take my advice with a grain of salt! :lol:
Flash

Post by Flash »

r0ttie1 wrote: March 31st, 2020, 6:50 pm I don't think you can go wrong with Dillon. Can't beat the warranty.
No, but you can equal it and beat it in terms of convenience.

Lee offers the same warranty Dillon does with one exception. They won't fix it for free if the problem was caused by abuse or neglect. Other than that they cover parts and workmanship for life.

And if you want to have spare parts on hand, go to their website and "buy" them and put them in your shopping cart. When you check out you'll find they're free. As many as you want and whatever you want and you don't have to talk to them to get the parts. Just order them on their website.

I bought spare parts for my 2 Lee LoadMasters and 1 Lee Turret Press years ago. I've never used any of the spares. Oh, and you can get a LoadMaster for around half of what an equivalent Dillon costs. Think it over and spend your money wisely.

I've heard plenty of problems associated with Dillons, same as you have with other presses. The most problems I've ever had with a press was a Dillon SL900. I've still got it and it works well now but I had to figure out how to make it work without Dillon's help as they couldn't figure it out.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

+1, on Lee Precession,... 90% of what I have is Lee, great products, great prices, great people to deal with!!!
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

Just keep the single stage and buy a Dillon. I made that move years ago and never have looked back. If you are heavy into pistol or 223/5.56 get the 650 and a case feeder. I also like having the powder check die you can run on the 650. I do an easy 600 an hour without a bullet feeder for 9mm. Sorry Lee guys, I know multiple people that have tried Lee's and given up on them. They just do not compare to Dillon's machines for high volume work.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Actually, they do compare to Dillon's machines as long as you're talking 500 rounds/hour or less. More than that, no they don't.

I know a number of people that have had tons of problems with Dillon presses also, and I'm one of them. These things happen with progressives. The last one was a guy I shoot with who spent over 6 months trying to get his 550 to work properly and couldn't even with Dillon's help.

But if you'd rather pay twice as much money for a "no bs" warranty that actually is free from Lee, knock yourselves out.
glock holiday

Post by glock holiday »

Get the Dillon , ive had both...buy once, cry never..lol
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

I cannot tell you what is better, but when I jumped into reloading, I went right to the Dillon 550. As a newbie (a couple years ago) I had no real issues getting going. I learned things as I went, made mistakes, etc. but I couldn't be happier. I currently load 9, 45 and 223...just change tool heads and base plates. Changing calibers only takes a couple minutes.
r0ttie1

Post by r0ttie1 »

Flash wrote: April 1st, 2020, 9:10 am
r0ttie1 wrote: March 31st, 2020, 6:50 pm I don't think you can go wrong with Dillon. Can't beat the warranty.
No, but you can equal it and beat it in terms of convenience.

Lee offers the same warranty Dillon does with one exception. They won't fix it for free if the problem was caused by abuse or neglect. Other than that they cover parts and workmanship for life.

And if you want to have spare parts on hand, go to their website and "buy" them and put them in your shopping cart. When you check out you'll find they're free. As many as you want and whatever you want and you don't have to talk to them to get the parts. Just order them on their website.

I bought spare parts for my 2 Lee LoadMasters and 1 Lee Turret Press years ago. I've never used any of the spares. Oh, and you can get a LoadMaster for around half of what an equivalent Dillon costs. Think it over and spend your money wisely.

I've heard plenty of problems associated with Dillons, same as you have with other presses. The most problems I've ever had with a press was a Dillon SL900. I've still got it and it works well now but I had to figure out how to make it work without Dillon's help as they couldn't figure it out.
The choice was between a progressive and a turret.
outdoorplay

Post by outdoorplay »

Roneyj wrote: March 31st, 2020, 6:28 pm I have been loading on a single stage RCBS for years. This was great for accuracy but not volume. Thinking about an upgrade. Should I go with a turret press or move on to a progressive press? Everything thing I read says to get a Dillon progressive but, Lee seems to be a better deal. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-jr
What calibers are you reloading?

If I were reloading for a precision rifle I would take a turret press, because I wouldn't trust the consistency of the powder charge of a progressive.

However for handguns or even good loads to feed my AR I would go with a Dillon over a Lee. Dillon reloaders seem to do better with consistency in reloads. My Lee often jammed when loading primers. When I needed a new part I found it was easier to buy the $20 part rather than go through the warranty process.

Good luck with whatever you chose.
Roneyj

Post by Roneyj »

Thanks again for all of the input. For precision loads I will probably stick with my single stage. For volume I would only be loading 9mm and sometimes 223. Mostly 9mm. I don’t think the amount I load justifies anything more than a basic progressive press.

Thanks!!!
tubfixer
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by tubfixer »

A 550 would suit you well
Dillon or Lee, I started with Lee and moved to Dillon, not that Lee was bad just seemed to find way more used Dillon equipment at good prices, it's like exercise equipment for alot of people.