Brass vs Aluminum case

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Doc Holliday
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Brass vs Aluminum case

Post by Doc Holliday »

Talking about CCI brand here....between their brass and aluminum 9mm, is the only difference the case? Are the bullets, primer and powder the same? If so, seems to me that I may as well carry the aluminum to lighten things up a bit...since I don't reload...

Flash

Re: Brass vs Aluminum case

Post by Flash »

No one here is going to know that for a fact unless they've worked for CCI but an educated guess says that the case is the only difference.

Why? Because I spent some time in Manufacturing Engineering in my younger days and it's cheaper to keep everything the same except for cases, therefore that's the way they would go.

By the way, I've reloaded a couple of boxes of aluminum over the years and they're okay for once or twice.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Only indication I have is running them both through a MAC, and they both produce the same cycle rate.

That indicates to me that they are the same bullet weight, as advertised, and the same, or very similar, components.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

I don't know the formula they are currently using.. but in the 80"s when I was in the Mid-east, the Saudis where shooting CCI aluminum case ammo in their Port Said's. I shot a lot of it and it worked just like brass cased ammo.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

The case is the only difference. They would not go so far as to make a new powder or primer just for aluminum cases. I know right now for a fact that the US government is getting quotes on making handgun and rifle ammo using plastic cases. I have a small amount of the here with me.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

The CCI aluminum cased 9MM was Berdan primed.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

YNOTAZ wrote: February 12th, 2020, 4:53 pm Only indication I have is running them both through a MAC, and they both produce the same cycle rate.

That indicates to me that they are the same bullet weight, as advertised, and the same, or very similar, components.
Running through a mac? If you want to have oob I heard its not good with open bolt. Any how always had feed issues in a 45 1911
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

delta6 wrote: February 12th, 2020, 8:23 pm The CCI aluminum cased 9MM was Berdan primed.
So what... they are not ment to.be reloadable. They were ment to be cheap to make.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Elk34 wrote: February 12th, 2020, 9:02 pm
delta6 wrote: February 12th, 2020, 8:23 pm The CCI aluminum cased 9MM was Berdan primed.
So what... they are not ment to.be reloadable. They were ment to be cheap to make...... "The case is the only difference. They would not go so far as to make a new powder or primer just for aluminum cases."
Just responding to... That they actually "just" used a different primer...
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

omegaman wrote: February 12th, 2020, 8:56 pm
YNOTAZ wrote: February 12th, 2020, 4:53 pm Only indication I have is running them both through a MAC, and they both produce the same cycle rate.

Running through a mac? If you want to have oob I heard its not good with open bolt. Any how always had feed issues in a 45 1911
A friend supplied the ammo that day. Ran through 1K rounds of his aluminum after I had run 3 mags of my brass. No issues with the aluminum at all. Perhaps it's because I run a Lage upper. I haven't run the original MAC upper in several years.
jledman

Post by jledman »

I ran a bunch of aluminum in the Glock and they ran great, never a problem. I would hazard a guess they are the same except for the case.
badazmfr

Post by badazmfr »

Doc Holliday wrote: February 12th, 2020, 9:06 am Talking about CCI brand here....between their brass and aluminum 9mm, is the only difference the case? Are the bullets, primer and powder the same? If so, seems to me that I may as well carry the aluminum to lighten things up a bit...since I don't reload...
hey j, here is what cci sent me a few years back about the differences between blazer brass 9mm 115gr fmj and cci blazer aluminum 115gr fmj. i always thought the aluminum was a bit hotter as well when putting it though shorter barrels. :?

i do not work for cci as well just relaying what i was told on their "factory specs" or at least what they are going for.

blazer brass cased 115 grain fmj travels at 1125 feet per sec with 323 ft/lbs of energy. it is boxer primed and fully reloadable.

blazer brass aluminum cased 115 grain fmj travels at 1145 feet per second and brings 341 ft/lbs of energy. it is boxer primed and not recommended for reloading. :)

hope this answers your question. coolio.... 8-)

if this is not what you are going for..... i will go out back and chrono both of them for you at the muzzle and lets say 25 yards out too. ;) pick a barrel length or gun and i'll get er' done!! :dance: :dance:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Interesting, thanks for the info!