Looking for confirmation,...

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Looking for confirmation,...

Post by shooter444 »

I just sighted in and shot a ladder of reloads for my new 30-06 sprg. bolt gun.

I chose Barnes 130 grain TTSX bullets that have what looks like to me, three lube rings cut into the bullet. Barnes claims they are for clearing copper fouling,... which makes some sense to me,... basically acting like a copper gas check on cast lead bullets, removing some leading.

The rings gave me the idea of applying my home made cast lead lube, which TOTALLY ELIMINATES ALL LEADING in my 45 acp, 44 mag, 300 blkout, and marlin444 cast lead reloads.

So, I swabbed some on all the Barnes solid copper reloads in the test ladder, I just shot,... which varied from just under 3,000 FPS to over 3,200 FPS.

The bore was bright brand new/never shot, when I started.
After every 4 round string at different powder charges, the bore was just as bright as when I started.
I shot over 40 rounds, about a dozen copper jacketed 220 grainer to get the scope on paper, and the rest were the Barnes reloads, for getting an idea of grouping, corresponding to velocity.

OK,... soo!

I haven't shot this many solid copper and copper jacketed rounds from a high power big bore rifle in years,... not that it is a big bore like my marlin444, but I'll call it such, just for comparison to my smaller calibers I reload for

When I pulled a oiled snake through the barrel, after shooting over 40 rounds of copper,... the bore was brighter than when I started,... with absolutely NO COPPER FOULING!!!

My question,... has anyone experienced any fouling with that small a number of rounds fired, while making sure not to get the barrel above very comfortable/touchable tempts?

I ask, because I am wondering if the lack of fouling is do to a low number of rounds,... the copper fouling removing rings in the Barnes bullets,... or, do to my hand mixed lube?

All opinions welcome,... but, if you are on my ignore list, don't bother, I can't read your posts! 8-)

xerts1191

Re: Looking for confirmation,...

Post by xerts1191 »

I guess I’m still in the dark ages, I didn’t know Barnes or any manufacturer’s we’re making these, so now it’s off to do some research, thanks 444
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

:shock: :lol: Or perhaps it’s all in the secret sauce of your lube
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Negative on the sauce, xerts1191.

There wasn't enough difference to make a claim either way,.... but, I lean towards it opening up the group just a tad, so, I quit using it on the next go-round.

But, it can't be beat with properly sized cast bullets,... that's a fact!! If you load your own castings, and are interested, I'll send you the recipe! :ugeek:

P.S.,... just a side note,... I don't know if I have shot enough rounds to expect any fouling,.... but, there has been NONE!!

Is that do to the bullet design, the powder, or both.... I don't know,.... will have to shoot a lot more to see, with barrel being as clean as it has been, so far.

Also,... the powder is doing exactly as advertised, so far,.... absolutely the cleanest powder I have ever used,... by far!!! Not a spec in the barrel, or on the bolt/area,.... none! And, all chrony readings, per powder charge,... is in line with advertised velocities. Even the low,starting charge fills the case nicely,... max load seems to be at the bottom of the bullet,... absolutely no way a double charge could happen with either end!

Copper fouling reduction – these powders contain an additive that drastically reduces copper fouling in the gun barrel. Copper fouling should be minimal, allowing shooters to spend more time shooting and less time cleaning a rifle to retain accuracy.

Temperature change stability – the Enduron line is insensitive to temperature changes. Whether a rifle is sighted in during the heat of summer, hunted in a November snowstorm or hunting multiple locations with drastic temperature swings, point of impact with ammunition loaded with Enduron technology will be very consistent.

Optimal load density - Enduron powders provide optimal load density, assisting in maintaining low standard deviations in velocity and pressure, a key feature for top accuracy.
Last edited by shooter444 on January 27th, 2020, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
deanq

Post by deanq »

Great observation. I'm thinking that the only way to tell what's working, is to do more empirical testing.
Let us know the results.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

deanq, update,... I put another couple dozen through it yesterday, without a spec of burnt powder, or, copper fouling in the bore, or action.

I don't know how many rounds it will take to eventually create some fouling, or a dirty action,... but, so far, the combo of these bullets and powder are looking good.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

To answer the question you originally asked.....my answer is no.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Thanks.