Another 10mm question

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Another 10mm question

Post by Boriqua »

I was using Winchester large primers for my 10mm reloads but am just about out. I switched over to cci for my small pistol primer needs and like them a bit better than the winchester. If I get cci large pistol primers for 10mm should I get magnum or standard?

The Winchester I have been using says for both magnum and standard loads.

So #300 or #350?
Alex

Suck My Glock

Re: Another 10mm question

Post by Suck My Glock »

On the small capacity case of the 10mm, standards will be just fine.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 17th, 2020, 10:17 pm On the small capacity case of the 10mm, standards will be just fine.
Awesome! Than kyou. I think they are a couple bucks cheaper too .. not enough to have swayed my decision but cool none the less!

I found with the small CCI primers, and it could be me, that they go into the pocket so much smoother than the winchesters. I am using the little flip out primer tool on a lee classic press but the difference is night and day. They just seem more uniform so I figured if I liked them that much in the small primers that I would buy a couple hundred of the CCI large primers and see if I like them better as well.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Magnum primers are only required with hard to ignite powders and subzero shooting conditions.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

That will be personal preference.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Yes because so much of what I have been learning about reloading is about "feels" and not verifiable things like pressure.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Yes your right it's all about how it feels
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

The biggest difference between "magnum" and "standard" primers is the thickness of the base. Magnum loads require a thicker base on the primer to handle the extra pressure.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

When I wanted a little more oomph, from my maximum Trail Boss loads, I found recommendations that 'mag primers' could be used, for that purpose. But, I didn't notice all that much of a difference.

Further research found that, any load/powder can be switched to 'mag primers' if started with a 10% reduction in powder, and then worked up, watching for negative signs.

I also read where some guys were opening up the flash hole, when switching to 'mag primers',... but, this is all Internet Info,... to be taken with a grain of salt, imo.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

I'd say it depends on which powder you're using.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Jack Dupp wrote: February 18th, 2020, 10:23 am I'd say it depends on which powder you're using.
And you'd be right.

Opening up the flash hole is what you do when you want to shoot wax loads to practice your quick draw cowboy action shooting.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Agreed, and, it is also a well studied process, for those who like to tweak things,... this link takes awhile to load,...

https://scholarsmine.mst.edu/cgi/viewco ... ers_theses

"The effects of physical flash hole deviations on factory-grade rifle ammunition

Nicolaas Martin Schrier
Keywords and Phrases
Flash hole

Abstract
"The objective of this research is to determine the effect of dimensional and positional changes of the primer flash hole on the performance of factory-grade rifle ammunition. The studied variables were flash hole diameter, offset from center, and orientation of the offset in the primer pocket. Cartridge performance was quantified by measuring muzzle velocity, chamber pressure, and target grouping size (precision).

Five different flash hole diameters were tested for both the Remington .223 and Winchester .308 calibers: 1.4mm, 2.0mm (the Fiocchi standard), 2.4mm, 2.8mm, and 3.0mm. Each diameter was tested at three offsets: centered (no offset), 0.5mm from center, and 1.0mm from center. Each of the 0.5mm and 1.0mm offsets were tested at three orientations: up (12 O'clock), side (3 O'clock), and down (6 O'clock). Every flash hole was manually drilled and each cartridge hand-loaded in order to conduct controlled testing of the flash hole variations. Testing took place in two segments with the muzzle velocity and precision measured at a private range outside Rolla, MO and chamber pressure and a second muzzle velocity measured at Fiocchi of America (Ozark, MO).

Results showed that muzzle velocity and chamber pressure varied 1-4% from the control flash hole as hole diameter, offset, and orientation changed. The precision, particularly in the 3mm diameter and centered flash hole cases resulted in improvements of up to 28%. Variations in flash hole diameter, offset, and orientation do affect cartridge performance. Alternate flash hole diameters exist that improve powder ignition consistently as well as precision. Off centered flash holes increase target grouping size and result in less consistent muzzle velocity and chamber pressure values."--Abstract, page iii.

Advisor(s)
Worsey, Paul Nicholas

Committee Member(s)
Worsey, Gillian M.
Baird, Jason, 1955-

Department(s)
Mining and Nuclear Engineering

Degree Name
M.S. in Explosives Engineering

Publisher
Missouri University of Science and Technology

Publication Date
Spring 2015
"
Last edited by shooter444 on February 20th, 2020, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

What reloading book are you using? I believe in there they state what primers they use on the test weapon for each caliber.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Elk34 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 11:48 am What reloading book are you using? I believe in there they state what primers they use on the test weapon for each caliber.
They do and Hogdon did not call for a magnum primer. Having said that .. its a gun board and there are a couple of guys like Flash whose opinions I respect and I just wanted to see what others were doing. I wish Intel6 played around here because between Him flash and a couple other dudes you have about 1000 years of hands on experience that a quick look in a book wont give me.

If people on a gun board dont ask new questions about guns it may as well be a crappy replacement for backpage and just make it about classifieds.

I am not only interested in making range fodder but learning to be a reloader. For that I need information that isnt on a chart.

There are cooks and there are people who follow recipes .. I want to be a cook.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Well there is some stuff they won't do that I do. I can tell you they don't use onion paper in there cases to keep the powder from going in to the anvil of the primer . Just because someone has been doing something for a long time doesn't mean it right. It just means fate hasn't caught up to them yet. There are thi ts I know about that i will never say to anyone because it's so experimental that i cant trust anyone not to hurt themselves.