COL ques

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

COL ques

Post by Boriqua »

I have just bought a new batch of bullets to reload for 10mm. I was using Berry's which I found to be unsatisfactory for Semi auto but now I am shooting 10mm from a revolver.

Anyway .. I bought a batch of DG coated lead bullets. They are a touch longer than the berrys I was reloading. The DG bullets are .61" and the Berry's were .59"
https://dgbullets.com/product/40-10-mm-180-gr-fp-bb/

Hodgdon lists COL for SIE JHC at 1.26. Not knowing what the length of the Sierra bullet is .. I assume I am still good using 1.26 since COL is about chamber fit .... right??

Everywhere else I have looked calls out JHP 180gr at 1.25?

Jack Dupp

Re: COL ques

Post by Jack Dupp »

Yes, you'll be fine at that OAL, especially since you are shooting out of a revolver.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Jack Dupp wrote: January 16th, 2020, 8:31 pm Yes, you'll be fine at that OAL, especially since you are shooting out of a revolver.
Thank you! Plan on doing a little reloading in the morning! Monday is range day.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I agree with Jack.

But I'm curious why you found the Berry's to not be suitable for semi-autos? I loaded thousands of 150, 155 and 180 grn Berry's plated .401s in .40 and 10mm over the decades. The only problem I ever had was when Glock went from plain plastic bodied mags to full metal lined mags that reduced the available OAL just a smidge and all mine were already loaded to max OAL for Gen1 mags and dragged their noses on Gen2 mags. But that was my error, not the bullets.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 16th, 2020, 8:37 pm I agree with Jack.

But I'm curious why you found the Berry's to not be suitable for semi-autos? I loaded thousands of 150, 155 and 180 grn Berry's plated .401s in .40 and 10mm over the decades. The only problem I ever had was when Glock went from plain plastic bodied mags to full metal lined mags that reduced the available OAL just a smidge and all mine were already loaded to max OAL for Gen1 mags and dragged their noses on Gen2 mags. But that was my error, not the bullets.
I don't know if the recoil spring or angle of the ramp was the cause but if I happened to cycle the berrys more than once the nose of the bullets would be severely dented. I will see if I still have the picture. Now it could have been my crimp but about 1/3 of my rounds would keyhole. I didn't have that problem with Hornady bullets just the berrys.

I will admit I am not experienced enough to know what caused the keyholing but the deformed bullets made me nuts. Maybe bullet setback?
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

COL is not as important when using a revolver because the cartridge doesn't have to fit in a magazine or be of a specific length to assure proper feeding. I have seated some of my heavier bullets further out in the case when loading for my S&W610. You can seat the bullet too long in a revolver depending on how tight the throats are in your cylinder and the bullet shape and what it is sized to.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I agree with Intel6,... plus.

As long as you seat the bullet so it is as LONG or LONGER than spec, for revolver specs, you are good to go.

What you have to be careful of, is,...bullets seated so close to the mouth of the cylinder chambers, that with heavy recoil, they can pull out and jam up the cylinder from spinning. Shortening the cartridge OAL, and, or, putting a heavy crimp on, solved the problem for me.

There is an up side to revolver reloads that are longer than spec, but, not so long as to be problematic to cycling,... the longer you load them, the less pressure is generated. I load all my straight cased calibers with Trail Boss, loaded right up to the bottom of the bullet. With revolvers, I can seat further out and get more powder in, without worrying about pressures. NOW!!! I wrote lower pressures with TRAIL BOSS POWDER,... your results may differ with other powders!!!

A hint,... if you do have a bullet pull out from heavy recoil, and jam up the cylinder from spinning,... DON'T PANIC and try forcing it to function!!!

I simply take a knife blade and pry the bullet back into the case enough to get the cylinder freed up, by using the forcing cone as a fulcrum. Pry them in enough, to have the cylinder function enough to remove ALL the cartridges, for recycling. EDIT,... OR, for a heavier crimp!.

Hope this helps.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Just to be clear what was your question?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Elk34 wrote: February 5th, 2020, 6:53 am Just to be clear what was your question?
Sorry but I dont give reading comprehension lessons for free and my question was already answered.

Here is a good program though
https://www.rif.org/
Flash

Post by Flash »

Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

:dance: Ok. Just checking all that nonsense and yammering going on about how you load and at the very end of a lot of nothing you say (.. I assume I am still good using 1.26 since COL is about chamber fit .... right??) Why not just tell us a little and then get to the question. Hell I almost fell asleep reading your statement before the question. :clap:
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

You didn't have to read the post. You didn't have to reply and honesty.. I could give a fuk about you or your opinion. Fuk off troll.

If the way I communicate disturbs you ... move on