455 - 45 ACP Webley

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Azsurplus79
New to ArizonaShooting.org

455 - 45 ACP Webley

Post by Azsurplus79 »

Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to make some light 45ACP loads for my Webley mk6 and have a question if anyone may be able to help, it would be appreciated. Would it be a benefit to cut the 45 brass down to the length of the 455 Webley cartridge or will it make no difference in performance?
Thank you,
Mike

backcountry
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 455 - 45 ACP Webley

Post by backcountry »

Start with the 45 acp is much higher pressure than the .455 Webley. As I recall, 50% more to a proof load. Lots of HE's in .455 were blown up this way.

I do believe that cutting down any brass increases pressures. Add that to the 50% already over pressure and that doesn't sound good. You will also have a powder ring at the end of the cylinders which makes it harder at times to load and eject the longer cases.

Similarly:
I have an old HE .455 with recessed cylinders that also shoots 45 colt. I played with the 45 colt reloads and found some puff loads that shot pretty well. The question is why ???

My .455 handloads shoot beautifully which is what the gun was made for.
They are very short and really fat with a cone looking bullet many times. They are the weirdest looking cartridge around. I love em.

I have boomer Ruger 45 colts for my 45 colt hot stuff. Dangerous to keep hot 45 colt laying around with that .455 Webley in the vault. Too easy to get mixed up.
Bronco68

Post by Bronco68 »

If the back of your cylinder has been turned to take 45 ACP I recommend using some 45 Auto Rim. Worked well in my MkVI, loaded some 250 gr 45 Colt and a reduced load. Similar to the original Webley load at that point.
samnev

Post by samnev »

I've used 5 grains of Unique and a 230 gain hard cast projo in my MkVI for years. that's 1 grain less than my loads tor my 1911.