147gr or subsonic 9mm

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
ducatilover
ArizonaShooting.org Member

147gr or subsonic 9mm

Post by ducatilover »

Any recommendations for subsonic pinkling 9mm ammo? Itching to try out a suppressor. I believe 147gr is subsonic also. Correct?

Suck My Glock

Re: 147gr or subsonic 9mm

Post by Suck My Glock »

Most 9mm subsonic ammo is 147 grain, although there are a few in slightly heavier weights, like 150, 158, 160 or even 165. Those heavier ones are useful for use in carbines or submachineguns where, because of the longer barrel, the 147 grain might actually go too fast and break the sound barrier. But out of a pistol,...you should have no such worries.

The vast majority of factory FMJ 147 grain ammo is flat-nosed and mimics hollow-point profiles. If feeding in a modern design like a Glock or Ruger, they will likely feed with no problem. But some folks (like me) have cantankerous older guns that were designed to only feed rounded profile FMJ ammo, and don't do well with FN bullets. Thus, I have fewer options on factory subsonic ammo. Currently, AAC (owned by Palmetto State Armory) and PMC sell a round-nose FMJ 147grn. load. Fiocchi sells a 158grn. FMJ RN load, but it costs more than the PMC or AAC.
ducatilover

Post by ducatilover »

The host will cycle between a sub2k and some pistols.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

There are other 9 mm loads that are subsonic besides the 147's. Federal makes a 124 gr that is sub and I don't remember what kind but, I have shot several other 9 mm in the 124 range that were sub's.

Check the specs on various ammo's that are not marked subsonic and save some money. Anything marked subsonic is always more expensive.
Lion Armament LLC
ArizonaShooting.org Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Supporter

Post by Lion Armament LLC »

Pretty much all 147gr 9mm is going to be subsonic out of a typical 4-5" handgun barrel. Some of the "faster" ones might get pushed to supersonic speeds out of longer barrels though. My recommendation would be to try some of the common, less expensive 147 grain offerings like the Speer or Federal (testing for both sound and reliability) before jumping into one of the more expensive ones.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

But of course, I'm concerned for the dudes he convinces to go pinkling. Sounds like a gay ambush thing.
ducatilover

Post by ducatilover »

Suck My Glock wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:08 am But of course, I'm concerned for the dudes he convinces to go pinkling. Sounds like a gay ambush thing.
LoL. But thanks for the info. I’ll look at the velocity on other rounds. I only wanted to keep it simple and pick a grain that would be suppressor only.
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

The LEE 153 grain RN for 38 Super runs very quiet in my sub gun and will cycle some of my hand guns. Keeping it subsonic in a 10" sub gun limits it to what hand guns it will run reliably in. Granted, it's a casting and handloading proposition, but it's another option. And the six cavity molds makes lots of little pills quickly!
1bardan+

Post by 1bardan+ »

I’ve run 147 and 165 grain loaded to minimum powder levels. Both run reliably in a subgun. The 165 may be slightly quieter, but not much if at all. 125 grain I couldn’t make subsonic and cycle the gun.