Wet Tumbler... Juice Worth the Squeeze?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Wet Tumbler... Juice Worth the Squeeze?

Post by BigNate »

Old Jeff H wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 2:43 pm For what it's worth, I have had good luck using a small amount of citric acid and the combo car wash/wax like the Turtle or Jay Leno's Garage brands.

If the brass is already clean, and you're just looking for shine, you can forego the soap altogether and just use a bit of citric acid. That only takes about an hour, possibly less. However, unless it's heavily tarnished, I've decided that the rinsing and drying just isn't worth it. I've gone back to corncob and Nu-Finish for light polishing.
I'm a "function over form" guy... I mostly don't care how shiny they are... but I do want them to be clean, primer pockets clean, etc... for consistency in reloading...

BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Thanks for all the advice to avoid the pins... sounds like that is generally the consensus...

I'm thinking that for now I'll try the idea of insulating the vibratory cleaner from the ground and then doing the box with a blanket over it... I may actually get ambitious and line the box with the Styrofoam insulation too... maybe that will be enough that it does not keep me awake...
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

Well the pins will get your primer pockets clean. That's the one thing that they really are good for. And getting the inside of straight-walled brass clean.

However, if you're uniforming your primer pockets like I do on all my rifle brass, getting the pockets clean beforehand is redundant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I want really really clean pistol brass, I'll use the wet tumbler with pins. :lol:
condition_0ne

Post by condition_0ne »

I have a Frankfort rortary wet tumbler with pins for sale if you're interested. That said, wet tumbling w/ pins vs vibratory with corn/walnut media gives very different results and might be good or bad depending on what you're trying to accomplish. For my process with rifle cases I went back to walnut/corn media vs. the pins/wet tumbling as I get more consistent case neck tension with the corn media. The pins actually get the case necks *too* clean and the case neck grip is slightly less consistent. For pistol cases, particularly .357/.44 mag rounds the steel media works great.
condition_0ne

Post by condition_0ne »

knockonit wrote: January 19th, 2024, 7:14 am when i first used the cement mixer, i destroyed a couple buckets of 223 brass, thinking i had it dry enough, and stashed it, months later it was that ugly black, tarnish, and nope wouldn't come clean, learned my lesson, have the FA tube tumblers, and run's long and fast, have the cleaner and pins, tried it a few times and decided the dry stuff works fine, without themess and hassle of the wet. might try sometime in future again, but not on the list presently, good luck with selection. also have the tub type vibrators the dillons are reasonabl y quiet, and have to admit some of those sobs are louder than my old hot rod.
rj
Got your PM, can't send PMs yet due to new account (lol?). Please text me, 442.271.5798 for the tumbler etc. The tumbler I have: https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/case-c ... 09544.html plus a full helping of steel pins.
condition_0ne

Post by condition_0ne »

How many posts before my PMs are unlocked? I had an account here ages ago but it was deleted. I made a new one and now I don't have any privileges.
leadman1

Post by leadman1 »

I have the wet and corn cob tumblers. I like both but when I use the wet I will let them dry then run them in the corncob with new finish for a bit. Keeps them from tarnishing so fast versus wet with no corn cob.
I found if you keep the water level low in the FA it helps keep the caps from leaking and still cleans well.
Bottom Gun

Post by Bottom Gun »

I considered wet tumbling but, with the rinsing and drying, it sounds like more work than using corn cob or walnut.

However, my main reason for dry tumbling is because I prefer to process my brass after it’s clean. I shoot in the desert so my recovered brass is almost always dusty and/or covered with grit. I really don’t want to run that grit through my sizing dies. So I’ll stick with walnut and corn cob.

A sheet of vibration dampening foam under your tumbler will reduce the noise quite a bit.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

leadman1 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 6:51 pm I have the wet and corn cob tumblers. I like both but when I use the wet I will let them dry then run them in the corncob with new finish for a bit. Keeps them from tarnishing so fast versus wet with no corn cob.
I started doing the same thing a couple of months ago. It's a bit of work, but gives you the best results possible.