How did you get started in reloading? How do I?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
lew
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: How did you get started in reloading? How do I?

Post by lew »

My grandpa gave my brother and I a Lee progressive and a single stage "C" press. The single stage broke and was replaced with one of their "O" frame single stages, and the progressive never worked worth a good goddamn. Somehow managed to sell the progressive and we went in on a Dillon RL550C and never looked back. Not messing with Lee, and, from what experience I have with Hornady, I won't bother with them either.

nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

I was 18 and had a .45 auto.

Can't buy handgun ammo until you are 21. You can buy the reloading supplies to make your own though ;-)
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Back in 1997 I was shooting a lot of 444 and 44 mag. It was cheaper to load so I started on a Lyman turret press. From there I grew and moved to a 650 dillon and started 45acp. Then I pick up a 1050 RL machine. I found 3 more RL machines in a estate sale got them cheap turned them into dillon for a rebuild. Brought them home, automated them and turned them into case prep for 556,308 and 300 bulk out. Since then I got some 1050 supers and a concrete mixer for the first clean for the brass. After that it just took off. Getting back to the second part of the question. It depends on what you are reloading. I use the Lyman turret press for 300 ultra,300 win mag, 338 lupua, and for my 300 win mag sabot rounds. Why they need special attention. Pistol rounds and some rifle rounds, 556, 308 I would try to pick up a 1050. A beginner can run it slow and be fine and that same person has a lot of room to grow on that machine.
samnev

Post by samnev »

Back in the day when I was young an old timer who lived close to me in Oklahoma City taught me what I needed to get to start reloading. Started with an RCBS Rockchucker, powder dispenser and an Ohaus 10/10 scale. My first loads were 45ACP and 30-06 using RCBS. Still have all of those but have move on to a Dillon 550B and a Chargemaster. Still use the Rockchucker with a Dillon Trimmer on it and the Ohaus to check every 10 powder drop from the Chargemaster. Now I reload over 20 calibers but mostly 308 and 45 ACP.
Yotatrd4x4
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Yotatrd4x4 »

I got started into reloading from my step dad. He used to do WWII reenactments and once I mentioned going shooting and buying firearms etc he mentioned that he had tons of stuff in his garage for me to take home with me. I meet him after I was around 23 or so years old. My mom had remarried while I was in the military. Anyhow he gave me an AR15 rifle, and Wasr 10 AK and an M14s rifle as he collected military firearms. He was special forces in the Army and then got his degree and became an artillery officer before being medically retired.

He gave me the rifles then said hey have you thought of reloading? I said no and then he dug out hundreds of dollars worth of reloading gear and gave it all to me. I read 3 or 4 books on reloading and inventoried all the gear and sold off all the multiples of die sets to get ones I needed and that how it all started 15 or so years ago. Now I cast my own bullets from lead, make custom brass, swathe bulelts from fired casings etc. It doesnt take long before you are hooked. Oh did I mention I could not afford to shoot so much without reloading??!!

Goodluck and get to it!
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

Back in 1983 or 84 I bought a Ruger 44 mag Superblack. Ammo was expensive and I had a friend that loaded. He showed me the ropes and have been reloading ever since. It is nice to be able to find an accuracy node on a new rifle and tighten up the groups.
Magua54

Post by Magua54 »

What's a good reloading press for a beginner?
Flash

Post by Flash »

RCBS Rock Chucker. Every reloader needs to have one on the bench.
Loenuff

Post by Loenuff »

Find a friend who does
Big help for me
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

I believe Dillon puts on classes or at one point they did. The speed of Paying for itself depends on what your reloading. If you are making 338 lapua and shoot a lot, that will pay off quick. If you buy a progressive press and shoot a lot like 5k to 10k every 5 to 8 months it will pay off quick as well. I know back when I would shoot a lot of 44 mag, I could make 50 for $12. A box off the shelf was $25 to $28.
Mr_Maim

Post by Mr_Maim »

338lapua wrote: August 30th, 2018, 8:01 am Making ammo on a large scale is not for some people, some will never have the mental capacity to think all I need to worry about is powder in the case and don't pull the handle so fast it throws the powder out. Some are so anal they would rather not shoot as much than to admit progressives are better.

Just like firearm technology progresses so does reloading. Right now for 10K you can buy a fully automatic reloader but when you started it was single station or production level machines nobody would sell you. I guess by your logic we should all start with a cap and ball to gain some perspective then a revolver and a lever action because those auto loading guns are just dangerous.

I have taken people with zero experience and put them on Camdex and Ammoload machines that pump out 3K per hour and once they were trained zero issues. After about a month or two of training they were competent to run a line of 10 machines, a line of ten machines can produce up to 35K a hour and about 250K rounds in a shift. I am yet to have a accident or get a report of a blown up gun.
@338lapua - Out of curiosity: are you in the ammo reloading business? I'd never heard of those companies until just now and man, they make some fascinating machines! Would love to see one run some day. The mechanics of machines like that fascinate me.

Getting back to the thread topic: I'm getting into reloading myself finally. I decided to start with a Hornady Classic single stage press and 2x Hornady Lock-N-Load AP presses. I shoot beltfeds in three calibers and subguns in two calibers so I am reloading for quantity.

I'm still getting a reloading bench together so it'll be a couple months before I start pulling handle. ;)
mifsuud

Post by mifsuud »

This is my second go round on the forum and have been preparing for a reloading space over the past year. I am about to purchase a Lee Classic Turret press to start. Primarily getting into hand loading because .44 Spcl is about impossible to find via retail these days beyond the occasional cowboy loads. Picked up some of the accessories already as I've been grabbing a piece on sale here and there. Doubtful I will exceed 1000 rounds a month unless I become addicted to reloading. And that would be if I give 9mm a try too.

The cost of the Dillon 1050 is too much for me on something I might not use too often. Certainly want a progressive press, with a good reputation. From what I have read the Lee Classic is reliable, can produce the amount I anticipate needing, can work as a single stage if I want, and can do rifle and handgun calibers if I expand with a turret and die swap. If you think there is a better kit that I can set up for no more than $500 feel free to recommend. Already have powder measure, primer feed, scale and dies for the press, all NIB if I need exchange or trade it.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I use a dillon 650XL for my 44 mag. No reason to get a 1050.
rbt50

Post by rbt50 »

I started 58 years ago. some one gave me a lee reloader it was the one that you make one round at a time. I spend a lot of time loading 30-30 rounds with it. then about 5 years later I bought a rcbs single stage press.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I started out with a C&H single stage press when I was 9. It was my Dad's. It got lost somewhere along the way but through the generosity of a board member, I got another and refurbished it. Still works great.

There are other progressive presses besides Dillon that work well. Do yourself a favor and look into them.