How did you get started in reloading? How do I?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Dogslayer
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: How did you get started in reloading? How do I?

Post by Dogslayer »

I enrolled in the Yavapai Community College gunsmithing program in 1984. Never finished all the required classes to get a degree. One of the students helped me get started reloading, bought an RCBS press, powder scale and the Speer reloading manual number 10. I have probably loaded over 250,000 cartridges with that press.

Bigshooter

Post by Bigshooter »

Lots of good info here. I started reloading back in the 70's and still have the single stage RCBS loader and have not changed. You can start "cheap" and then upgrade as you like. I have two digital scales and a digital micrometer that I feel are important upgrades IMO.

Good luck
Bottom Gun

Post by Bottom Gun »

Gunsmoke,

My advice is to buy a single stage and learn on it before you get a progressive loader. You'll always have use for the single stage so the cost won't be money wasted.
I've used Dillons for 40 yr but still use my single stage on occasion.

Find an experienced reloader to give you some hands-on instruction. You can't beat one on one instruction and troubleshooting when you're learning.

Where do you live?
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

I got started on a whim believe it or not. Wife was looking at Christmas gift ideas and saw an ad in the Cabela's flyer. Single stage something or other. It interested me so I looked into it.

I wound up with a Dillon 550 progressive press and now load 45, 9 and 223. Might start doing some 300BO soon too.
Ben7

Post by Ben7 »

Dillon 550b user here. Also have an RCBS single stage that I like to do resizing on. It’s a great hobby; I don’t shoot nearly as often as I’d like, but reloading in between shooting sessions keeps me plugged in to the hobby. There is always a new bullet/powder combination to play with.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

Ben7 wrote: March 28th, 2020, 6:46 pm Dillon 550b user here. Also have an RCBS single stage that I like to do resizing on. It’s a great hobby; I don’t shoot nearly as often as I’d like, but reloading in between shooting sessions keeps me plugged in to the hobby. There is always a new bullet/powder combination to play with.
I just use a separate tool head for resizing when it comes to 223. For my pistol rounds, I just do it all in one shot.
Ben7

Post by Ben7 »

Bigfoot wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:25 pm
Ben7 wrote: March 28th, 2020, 6:46 pm Dillon 550b user here. Also have an RCBS single stage that I like to do resizing on. It’s a great hobby; I don’t shoot nearly as often as I’d like, but reloading in between shooting sessions keeps me plugged in to the hobby. There is always a new bullet/powder combination to play with.
I just use a separate tool head for resizing when it comes to 223. For my pistol rounds, I just do it all in one shot.
I have a separate toolhead for resizing .223 as well. Resize&deprime, then trim. I use the single stage for hand measuring powder charges or loading small sample batches of bigger caliber rifle rounds, and also resizing 7.62x51 into .308win. I just leave the toolheads alone when I find “the load”; then they get labeled with the specifics for bulk loading.