Rifle chamber cooler?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
schiffer99
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Rifle chamber cooler?

Post by schiffer99 »

Watching some good YouTube videos and reloading, and the guy was using something I had never heard of between strings... a little device to cool the chamber.

This device something of use/value? Or is it one of those neat gift ideas that is actually pretty useless?

Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Re: Rifle chamber cooler?

Post by Ranger1 »

I'm sure it does something. What powers it? Batteries, cigarette lighter?
I have used a 5 gallon bucket with water and ice.
azmp5

Post by azmp5 »

What's funny is I did something this probably 10-15 years ago. First it was with my nitro RC car. I put a cpu fan on top of the heat sink and wired a 2x 9v's to it. Then I did the same thing but with a funnel and tried to make it work on an ar15. It "worked" but between the 2x 9v's and the lack of "umph" from the air through the funnel, I said f it.
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

I have a Craftsman portable jump starter that has 2 compressors, one is for tires the other is a high volume/low pressure. It is for filling air mattresses, beach balls etc. I have used it to cool rifle chambers, works pretty well, 5 minutes makes a noticeable difference in the temperature of the action and barrel. I did need to rig up a couple nozzles to get it into the action after removing the bolt depending on the size of the actions.

Dogslayer
Flash

Post by Flash »

Barrels can start warping up from heat, actions not so much.

Probably the biggest problem you can run into with hot actions is the heating up of a loaded round enough for it to cook off. The second biggest problem might be the heating up of a loaded round not enough for it to cook off but enough to change the burning characteristics of the powder. Some powders are fairly immune to it, others are not. Therefore it could affect accuracy for rounds with powders that aren't immune to heat.
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

I use Varget when ever I can due to it being of the "Extreme" category of their powders, also not one who does mag dump after mag dump. I leave that to the dirt shooters. I value the accuracy of my rifles, even my Colt LE6920 and don't want to erode the throat of any of them.

Dogslayer
Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

What about an inverted compressed air can? couple shots should cool things right down.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »