Stainless Steel Tumbling

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Desert Rat
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Stainless Steel Tumbling

Post by Desert Rat »

I have just started using an old 10lb rock tumbler to clean/polish brass. Overall, I like it better than the vibratory tumblers.
I am still trying to get the right ratio of brass water and media. I have seen some tumblers in the 15 to 17 lb range the suggest 5lbs of media. I have seen some site suggest about 350 9mm or about 175 223 per batch.
I have started with taking a ratio using my 10 lb unit. The brass does not seem to come out as shinny as the show on web sites. I am sure some of it is the photography for marketing purposes.
I put it a some dish soap and lemi-shine with it as well.

I have started to experiment with different amounts of brass.

Do you have a particular ratio the works better? Do you notice a difference when you have different counts of brass?

shooter444

Re: Stainless Steel Tumbling

Post by shooter444 »

I can't recommend exact "ratios", but I can say that I don't believe it is that exact of a science. When I did my first batch, I just put the couple pounds of Stainless media in the tumbler, filled it a little over half full with brass, filled it with water/soap&wax mixture/lemi-Shine and it all came out better than I expected! Had no need to change that ratio,... so I haven't!

I do have a few other tips for you!

First,I would buy (as I did) all the little gidgits / gadgets & accesories you think you will need to get started. Everything I thought I wanted, and bought,... turned out to be a good investment.

Like the Franklin Arsenal media magnet, an absolutely great piece for removing stainless steel media from the water filled bottom of the Franklin WET/DRY media separator.

Also,... I use the Lemi Shine (as you) in conjunction with Armor All Ultra Shine wash & wax,... really nice results, so I never tried anything else, so, I can't give you a comparison report. I can also say that, I change the amount of Armor All and Lemi Shine to match how dirty the brass is. I have never found a problem with using two, three and four times the amounts I have read about, being used by other loaders.

If you are a lead contaminant conscious type, some latex gloves when dealing with the dirty water isn't a bad thing. And, disposing of that heavy water may take some thought as well, if you have as many animals as I do.

The little, but, complete package of Franklin Arsenal Stainless Steel media equipment has REALLY worked out well for me. And, I assume just about all marketed products for this purpose do just as well!

Lastly, I highly recommend not mixing certain caliber brass, for tumbling together. I found 45acp and 223rem to be a true pain in the ass, to separate. I still have a 45acp case with a 223rem case jammed inside, locked up with stainless steel media, to the degree that I still can't get them separated. I keep it on my bench as a reminder! Oh, and pulling 223rem cases from a marlin444 wedged with stainless media is a joy I can do without, as well!
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Thanks for the info, I am a process person, so I may be overthinking it! I too have had the misfortune of missing a different caliber casing and having to separate it.
I did miss some sand that was stuck in one case, it looked liked the rock just nicked up the cases enough to give them a matt finish.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I learned long ago to not mix calibers. Prying apart a 45/40/9 stack locked together with walnut media was an experience I could have done without.

I just toss in "half" with brass and a few handfuls of pins and some polish and then walk away for a couple of hours. They come out pretty clean.