Aguila Super extra .. any good?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Aguila Super extra .. any good?

Post by Boriqua »

My wife has a Ruger SR22. Its been years now and she has shot it quite a bit. The gun has NEVER had a single incident. Its been bone reliable. I recently purchased Aguila Super Extra because it was on sale somewhere and I figured .22 is .22.

Before that it was mostly CCI. Over the last two range visits using the Aguila we have had 4 rounds not light off even after multiple strikes. I even took them out and rotated them to see if a strike on another area of the cartridge would light it off and nothing. I checked the brass and the ruger is giving it a good strike .. the round is just no going off. I dont think its a gun issue judging by the brass. Does anyone have experience with the Aguila Super extra. Is it problematic?

baja

Re: Aguila Super extra .. any good?

Post by baja »

Hmmm, I've always had good results with it, maybe you got a bad batch?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

4 rounds out of how many? 100 roudns? 500?

4 rimfire misfires out of 100 seems pretty standard for bulk 22LR. I've used most of the Aguila 22LR flavors, and I've has a few misfires here and there.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

QuietM4 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 12:56 pm 4 rounds out of how many? 100 roudns? 500?

4 rimfire misfires out of 100 seems pretty standard for bulk 22LR. I've used most of the Aguila 22LR flavors, and I've has a few misfires here and there.
I would say 4 out of 100 .. still .. gun has never ever failed to fire. This is the first.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

It's a small miracle rimfire ammo works at all. Forcing the priming compound into that little rim and getting it to equally distribute isn't easy, and some mfg's are better than others. I'd put my money on the ammo, but it could also be the gun...the firing pin channel could have some debris in it that is creating drag on the firing pin....might be time for a deep clean.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Wow, that is totally bizarre. Yes, all Aguila rimfire is normally much more reliable than nearly any other common rimfire ammo because their products use "Eley priming"; the same as world famous Eley match grade ammo uses.

As you may already know, in traditional rimfire cartridge priming, the primer compound is spun into the rim. The old process involved dropping liquid primer while the case is being spun. Eley has a different patented priming method that involves a primer paste and some sort of hydraulic ram to push it evenly into the rim. Aguila's rimfire factory was originally contracted to be designed and built by Eley, using their processes, which they use today.

Aguila's Eley priming process is why I choose and prefer Aguila ammo whenever possible. And I have always experienced a higher degree of reliability with their product.

However, with that said, during and shortly after the big .22 ammo shortage of the last decade, when all rimfire producers were running 24/7/365 to try to meet the demand, quality control was fer schit for nearly every company. For me, the biggest slip in QC was with Winchester. I bought some of their Walmart red-box Super Speed when it was finally on the shelves about 2017, and I was getting about 4 blown case heads per box of 100. I heard similar complaints from other shooters about all brands of .22 ammo. Remington was exhibiting a higher rate of duds in their Golden Bullet line. A friend who bought a bucket of Federal bulk-pack stuff had several misfires as well. And Aguila is made in Mexico after all. So if they put a bunch of new shifts on the line as well like everyone else and ran full tilt,...I can see them having issues during that time also. But if your batch is current production, that should not be occurring.