Tracers -- what are they for?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Tracers -- what are they for?

Post by smithers599 »

Assume it's legal to own tracers, and you are a responsible person who doesn't go out into the woods and start forest fires.

What, exactly, is the purpose of tracers, for the individual rifleman?

QuietM4

Re: Tracers -- what are they for?

Post by QuietM4 »

For a normal civilian? None. Novelty at best.

In the military? So you can see where your machine gun fire is going and correct fire.

Is this a serious question?
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

QuietM4 wrote: January 12th, 2023, 1:30 pm For a normal civilian? None. Novelty at best.

In the military? So you can see where your machine gun fire is going and correct fire.

Is this a serious question?
Yes. Serious question.
I get tracers for machine guns.

Mel Tappan wrote that a tracer near the bottom of a magazine would let you know when you were running low, but I found that I could not see the tracers when I was shooting; only bystanders could.

So, I see these Streak "cold" tracers on the market, and I am wondering if I am missing something that everybody else knows but me.

Jeff Cooper was asked once, "What's it for?" and he replied, "Why, it's for sale, of course."

Unless I am missing something.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

For shooting planes down at big sandy.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

When I was in the service we would use them when training at night and using gas masks. They would be placed in the mag every few rounds. It was a b**** shooting with the gas mask on and when shooting with a gas mask at night the only way to adjust fire on targets was with the tracers. I was guessing at best. In my day we only had iron sights. Dont know if that has changed.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

omegaman wrote: January 12th, 2023, 2:14 pm For shooting planes down at big sandy.
WINNER!
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

The curiosity is valid, as are the answers. But ultimately, the question itself is dangerously close to "who needs a military weapon?"

I realize the question posed here does not have the same hostile attitude attached to it. Just pointing out how close to the edge it is.
1bardan+

Post by 1bardan+ »

Fun on night camping
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

Scottsdale Gun Club uses the streak ammo for a cosmic shooting night. Beyond that it's fun to shoot those at night for fun. A neat thing for new shooters or kids to be involved. I don't think most people are going to use it in any tactical capacity as a civilian.
Lucafu1

Post by Lucafu1 »

We would stagger them in the mag to see at night. Also would load 3 or 4 at the bottom so you would know you need a mag change.
1bardan+

Post by 1bardan+ »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 12th, 2023, 10:00 pm The curiosity is valid, as are the answers. But ultimately, the question itself is dangerously close to "who needs a military weapon?"

I realize the question posed here does not have the same hostile attitude attached to it. Just pointing out how close to the edge it is.
Totally agree. Years ago I was in a gun store in Kingman that catered to hunters. The two other customers inside were yammering about how nobody needs a machine gun. I told them that machine gun owners need to contribute more money to keeping gun rights than hunters and that’s why they can freely buy a gun, not ask permission to check one out from a monitored club. They didn’t understand.
Divide and conquer, the democrat montra.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

As others have said... in the military, in the case of machine guns, to walk your stream of fire onto the target at distance (although we always thought "the machine-gunner's life expectancy is short enough without providing even clearer visual evidence of where we are sitting).

In the civilian world - there really is not tactical necessity of them - but they are fun - especially for folks who have never seen them - or have never been to a night shoot.

Part of "gun culture" that folks tend to understate is that it can and should be fun at times. You can both be both "safe and serious" - and have a great time. It can be a rush to shoot something bigger, or faster (auto), or louder, or brighter - and that is a good thing. Tracers, when used in an appropriate environment, fall into that space...
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

I bought a bunch of pulled tracers a few years ago with the intent of loading up cheap 300 BO plinking ammo. Too dry to shoot them around here, but probably be fun if/when I move somewhere green.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Who remembers these fun rounds? Shooting them through my MP-5 and my RO635 is fun. When they came out Hornady said they may not be on the market forever so I got a pallets of them. Only tracer I can say never caught anything on fire during use. I shoot a box every year or so and they all still light up.
1-2.jpg
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

338lapua wrote: February 14th, 2023, 1:20 pm Who remembers these fun rounds? Shooting them through my MP-5 and my RO635 is fun. When they came out Hornady said they may not be on the market forever so I got a pallets of them. Only tracer I can say never caught anything on fire during use. I shoot a box every year or so and they all still light up.

1-2.jpg
Bought a few boxes. I have one box left. Great fun -- for observers. When I am shooting them, I can't see the trace.