Ammo

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Hart Pheobe
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Ammo

Post by Hart Pheobe »

Where is a good place to buy ammo? Looking for 200-500 45ACP.

Manitu
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Ammo

Post by Manitu »

http://gunbot.net/ if you seek mailorder....locally no idea of "good" ammo source.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Hart Pheobe wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 3:31 am Where is a good place to buy ammo? Looking for 200-500 45ACP.
There is this cool new place called the Internet...you should check it out.

If you insist on local shops, check out True Shot in Tempe.
Razai

Post by Razai »

True Shot has tbe best local prices, but tax ends up making the deals a bit more sour.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Manitu wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 2:56 pm http://gunbot.net/ if you seek mailorder....locally no idea of "good" ammo source.
I've never heard of this site. Thank you for posting it!
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

If you are going shooting this afternoon and need plinking rounds today - try Sportsmans, Walmart (they still have SOME stuff), Bass Proshops, Cabellas, or your nearby LGS. Ammo AZ usually has supply on hand as will most LGS but prices can be all over the place. I tend to believe that the small gun stores tend to look at ammo as an accessory to be sold at full markup with a new gun... or occasionally as a loss leader to sell guns (e.g. - "get up to 10 boxes of 9mm at $X.XX when you buy a new gun from us"). Since United Nations Ammo Supply closed their doors, I've not found a local shop that deals in bulk ammo at a price that makes them competitive with what you can get delivered.

Today - I use Ammoseek.com to check online prices and then either order from the best option on line - or use the on-line pricing to dictate how much I buy locally if I'm in a pinch. I'd RATHER buy from a local small business - but I'm not going to spend 30% more for the same product... I'd rather get 30% more rounds for 30% more practice and fun. I wish I was flush enough to do that - but I'm not.

For example - I needed some 5.56X45 to fill a dent that we made with a couple of shoots over the last few weeks. The cheapest 62 gr 5.56X45 I find in stock at Sportsmans Warehouse locally is $0.65/rnd - and this is a sale item in 20 round boxes - who knows how much they have. Their best price for 1000 rounds loose in a box is $0.70 / rnd before tax (for stuff that is in stock). I just ordered 1000 rounds of major name brand stuff at $0.42 / rnd ($0.48 / rnd after tax) shipped - it'll be here next week.

If you find a LGS that sells bulk stuff within about 10% of the best shipped prices on the internet - let me know and I'll become a great customer of theirs.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

Trueshot gun club is worth checking out. They sometimes have great prices.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I don't even bother going to Sportsman's (N Phx) anymore - which is a shame as I spent a substantial amount of money there over the last couple years. In the last two years I have bought ~10 firearms there.

Their ammo prices are more expensive than places like Tombstone, and definitely more than online.

The service sucks at the gun counter, and their online inventory is apparently never right.

They try to pull the shady "This gun doesn't have a warranty from the manufacturer, do you want to buy our extended warranty" bullsh*t 70% of the time someone buys a firearm. I have heard the pitch several times, and talked to the management about it - which changed nothing. I went there with a friend - who bought a scope, rings, and rifle. They tried to push him into their scope mounting service no fewer than 4 times during the sale, and had to redo his transaction cause it was "mistakenly added" to his total and of course the "it doesn't have a warranty" lie.

The last two or three times I went there - I was hassled at the door by some "charity" begging for money, then when I was checking out it is a game of 20 questions. "Do you have a phone number for our points program? What is your Zip Code? Do you want to save a percentage by signing up for a credit card?" The worst thing is you have to answer a survey question before you can complete the purchase on the pin pad if you pay credit/debit. When I finally stopped the grand inquisition at the register, leaving - once again "excuse me sir, would you like to donate....."

Sportsman's was great when they were sportsman's. Then there was the attempted buy-out from Bass Pro, so they renovated slightly. That fell through, so they had all the signs up about not being some boring corporate faceless business - yet with all the hassle, questions, etc - they are actually as bad or worse than Bass Pro or Cabelas.

All this pushed me to now shop mostly at Ammo AZ or Tombstone for guns , and online for ammo. Tombstone is stupid slow on the checkout procedure but have a much better selection than Sportsman's - and I don't have half my time there wasted by scammy add-on sales tactics and being interrogated at the register.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Usually use these guys, since as mentioned, UNAS Howie closed up shop.

https://www.sgammo.com/

Not sure if they ship to Amsterdam though.