9MM die problem

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
gunpoorboy1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

9MM die problem

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

So, I have 10 pcs of brass (in this case all Blazer Brass but have had the same problem with other brass)

I set up my 9MM recapping and resizing die in my RCBS Rock Chucker and proceed to go thru the process. On at least 1 or 2 of the 10 pcs the first rising and lowering of the handle does not dislodge the spent primer. I have to do the process at lease twice, sometimes 3 times before the old primer is pushed out.

I have moved the pin up and down in the die but it doesn't change the outcome.

So, why are some of the primers being knocked out, and some are not? I've only had this happen once before when I was reloading some .38 Special and I never figured it out then either.

Any help is appreciated.

Jack Dupp

Re: 9MM die problem

Post by Jack Dupp »

Which size die are you using?
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I suspect that the primer cup is indeed being dislodged. But I have had it happen where the center of the dip in the anvil of the primer grabs onto the tip of the decapping pin, tightly enough that upon the return stroke, as the primer cup is lifted back into the primer pocket, it reseats just ever so tiny a bit before popping off the decapping pin, and the primer cup does not fall away. Upon attempting to run the ram once more, the decapping pin will plunge into that anvil valley and stick again, and the process repeats, until finally on one of the strokes the cup doesn't reseat and just falls away as it hits the base of the case.

I've had this happen, and it is a combination of the particular rounded profile of the decapping pin tip and the inner shape of the primer anvil. I've had it happen with all brands of primers, depending on what brand of dies is being used. For whatever reason, this has happened the least to me with Redding dies. And it has happened most frequently with Hornady dies. I had a batch of CBC .38special that just did this on EVERY SINGLE CASE. I had to run the ram a minimum of 3 times on every case before the primer cup would drop free.

Fortunately, primers smashed by fixed firing pins from open-bolt sub-machineguns tend to never do this because the anvils get distorted so much in the process.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

If your sizing die and decapping pin doesn't look like this you need to adjust it to look like this. Only reason a primer doesn't get pushed out is the decapping pin is not adjusted right.
________________unnamed.jpg
samnev

Post by samnev »

338lapua wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 6:37 pm If your sizing die and decapping pin doesn't look like this you need to adjust it to look like this. Only reason a primer doesn't get pushed out is the decapping pin is not adjusted right. ________________unnamed.jpg
I agree with the above. You said you did try adjusting the decaying/expander pin but perhaps it wasn't adjusted enough. What 9mm dies are you using?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I use Lee dies and when I still used the ram to decap I had to WRENCH that thing tight because anything else would let the pin slide up into the die. I mean I had to power that thing tight. I understand its supposed to be a safety so you don't break your pin but it was ridiculous how tight you had to make it so it didnt slip up.

I now deprime before tumbling and use this

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Hand Deprimer Tool for Standard Primer Removal for Reloading – 909283
Which happens to be on a black friday special for a great price!

Amazon link below

edited to add.
Amazon link doesnt seem to appear?? Its on sale for $24 which is nearly half what I paid for mine.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

This is a common issue with commercial reloader's using once fired brass and especially prevalent on progressive presses. This issue has been talked about for years (at least 40 I know of) and there are many different theories. Some say the dies is not tight enough in the press or the cleaning process or cleaning agent used causes the spent primer to adhere and of course, the decapping pin not extended far enough (3/16th of and inch).

If all other issues have been addressed (corrected), the consensus is: decapped primers are sticking to the tip of the decap stem and are being pulled back into the pocket when you pull the case out of the die (friction). The shape of the decapping pin seems be the culprit. You should look at the shape of the tip of the decapping pin. The end could be too flat or too rounded.

Simple solution, grind a small shallow angle on the end of the pin and your problem will go away. Every commercial reloader I know use's this solution.
samnev

Post by samnev »

Boriqua wrote: November 24th, 2022, 8:15 am I use Lee dies and when I still used the ram to decap I had to WRENCH that thing tight because anything else would let the pin slide up into the die. I mean I had to power that thing tight. I understand its supposed to be a safety so you don't break your pin but it was ridiculous how tight you had to make it so it didnt slip up.

I now deprime before tumbling and use this

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Hand Deprimer Tool for Standard Primer Removal for Reloading – 909283
Which happens to be on a black friday special for a great price!

Amazon link below

edited to add.
Amazon link doesnt seem to appear?? Its on sale for $24 which is nearly half what I paid for mine.
You are spot on. When I had to replace the decapper/expander rod I ran into the same problem. I called LEE and the rep told me you had to use 2 wrenches and lots of energy to keep the rod from moving, ridicules :angry-fire: I use the LEE decapping die now on my RockChucker ($12) then move to my Dillon 550.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

Thanks to everyone for their response.

I took Delta6's suggestion and files a little off the end of my pin (at an angle) and the problem has been resolved. Who would have thought that the tip of the pin that came with the die would create such a problem. Nice call Delta 6.