Lead through polygonal barrels

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Lead through polygonal barrels

Post by Boriqua »

Generously Gifted some 500 pcs of lead bullets in .40. I have shot Lead through my Sig 229 without issue but The inbound HK has a polygonal barrel. Should I just use the lead in the Sig or is it ok to run in the HK?

G34

Re: Lead through polygonal barrels

Post by G34 »

Perfectly fine. Just another internet misunderstanding. This came from casters running lead bullets to soft and/or to fast
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

There has been an above average number of KABOOMs in .40 cal. Glocks. Legend has it that this was somehow because of handloads with cast bullets in the polygonal rifling. But that's all it is; a legend, and an unjustified one. The real cause is that .40 is a rather easy cartridge to over-pressure if you're an idiot reloader. And no one ever wants to admit their gun blew up because of something that was their own damned fault.

I've run thousands of handloads of mine through 10mm and .40 Glocks using cast projectiles of all weights and velocities without any problems associated with polygonal rifling. Never any tumbling, never any leading. Everything always worked.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

This can cause issue due to lead build up. I have shot quite a bit through one in a glock just clean the barrel out after every couple of hundred and you are good to go.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Depending on the model, HKs like the old P9S and P7M8 have REAL polygonally 'rifled' barrels. Glocks do not. They just have rounded lands, but they are not true polygonal. That said, there is no issue shooting lead bullets through Glocks. In a real polygonal barrel, you could run into issues, but I don't think you will if you use a hard enough lead alloy.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Depending on the model, HKs like the old P9S and P7M8 have REAL polygonally 'rifled' barrels. Glocks do not. They just have rounded lands, but they are not true polygonal. That said, there is no issue shooting lead bullets through Glocks. In a real polygonal barrel, you could run into issues, but I don't think you will if you use a hard enough lead alloy.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I haven't had a problem firing cast bullets through a G17L, G19, G26, H&K USPc.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I should have mentioned the gun .. Its a P2000 in .40S&W. Thank you everyone for your replies. I am assuming coated is certainly good to go even if I chose to shoot the cast stuff through my sig? I have a good stash of FMJ bullets right now but usually buy from DGBullets.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Jack Dupp wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:11 pm Depending on the model, HKs like the old P9S and P7M8 have REAL polygonally 'rifled' barrels. Glocks do not. They just have rounded lands, but they are not true polygonal. That said, there is no issue shooting lead bullets through Glocks. In a real polygonal barrel, you could run into issues, but I don't think you will if you use a hard enough lead alloy.
I ran a stih ton of lead through through H&K P7 pistols. Even the ones with lube on them. When Danny Cox came out with the black coated lead bullets I ran close to a half million of those through all sorts of pistols rifles and sub guns. Never had a issue.

If jacketed bullets get much higher I will buy dedicated pistols and rifles for shooting lead bullets and go back to them.