THe 45 ACP obsolete!?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
1bardan+
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: THe 45 ACP obsolete!?

Post by 1bardan+ »

If you can only hit the target 1 out of 17 shots you use 9mm. Therefore .45 is obsolete to you. If within 8 shots you can hit it at least once, .45 is very viable. In fact, as a public safety issue, the 9mm now has 16 loose bullets flying around that can be a public safety hazard. Therefore for the sake of public safety, .45 is better.

nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

In these United States, the most popular calibers tend to follow either what the military uses, or what the police use.

So, ignoring the 22 LR:
The top 3 rifle cartridges in the US are the .223, 308, and 30-06
The top pistol cartridge is 9mm, followed by the 45, and then everything else.

But you can't cheat the laws of physics. A 230 grain .451 caliber projectile is going to do more tissue damage than any .355 caliber projectile. That being said, all pistol caliber rounds simply suck compared to rifle rounds for actually stopping someone.

The advantage of the 9mm is either size, or capacity. Although, to get higher capacity, you have to cheat a bit on size. In the same size gun, you only get +2 rounds of 9mm.
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

omegaman wrote: August 24th, 2022, 1:46 pm Just in large primer! LMAO
If I ever find the bastard at Federal who started loading .45 acp with small pistol primers, I'm going to knee him in the balls repeatedly.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

nvgdude wrote: September 4th, 2022, 2:56 pm
omegaman wrote: August 24th, 2022, 1:46 pm Just in large primer! LMAO
If I ever find the bastard at Federal who started loading .45 acp with small pistol primers, I'm going to knee him in the balls repeatedly.
count me in
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

But you can't cheat the laws of physics. A 230 grain .451 caliber projectile is going to do more tissue damage than any .355 caliber projectile. That being said, all pistol caliber rounds simply suck compared to rifle rounds for actually stopping someone.

yeah, but we've all heard someone say"" dang it sure wished you'd shot me with a .308, in stead of that whimpy little pistol round, dag nab it. ""

lol, not anyone ever heard that. and yeah i get yer drift, just making fun
Rj