Where are you sourcing bullets?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
Abbey
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Where are you sourcing bullets?

Post by Abbey »

brandonsmash wrote: July 6th, 2022, 6:56 am Some of y'all mention reloading 9mm. How is that cost-effective? I just bought another thousand factory rounds for about 25 cpr; how do you get much below that reloading? At best you're going to spend 10c on a bullet, 5c on primer, and 5c on powder. It seems like it would be really hard to amortize savings on 9mm unless you shoot an absolute ton.
Factory 9 is back down to $250/case? At that price, it makes little sense to reload 9mm, IMO. The only reason to reload is if you are trying to get a competition load at just the right power factor, or in my case, I prefer to load subsonic (which is always more $ than 115gr) so I don't have to think too hard about which ammo can I grab from when shooting suppressed.

I'm not shooting as much as I used to, so I'm still using up primers that I stockpiled at significantly cheaper prices than current market. So I'm currently buying 9mm FMJ projectiles for ~$.12 per, primers are a couple cents, Bullseye or N320 powder is pretty cheap at 3.6gr/round. It's mostly just my time that is expensive. Once I'm out of primers, I'll have to re-evaluate.

Before the current supply crunch, I almost got out of reloading. Like you, I was busy with work & decided my time was worth more than the cost of factory ammo and seriously thought about selling most of my reloading gear. Now I think of it as a hedge. When factory ammo is cheap, buy a bunch. When reloading components are available (and not too crazy expensive), buy a bunch.

Abbey

Post by Abbey »

Oh, to answer your original question, I prefer FMJ bullets. Precision Delta has become my new go to for handgun as they have maintained stock pretty well over the last couple years. When things were really bad, I picked up some coated Blue Bullets to try but then FMJ came back in stock before I loaded them up.

I've been able to get most rifle projectiles too from Midway or wherever. The only ones I haven't seen in awhile are the Berger hybrid 6.5 140gr.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

IMG_6181.JPG
As cheap as the manufactured 9mm is right now and given the many different grain options I can buy that and save the reloading components for a Biden induced rainy day.
tabascoman79

Post by tabascoman79 »

Check rockymountainreloading.com or sagesreloadingsupply.com
I buy most my bullets from rmr
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

blue bayou, free shipping over 200 dugats
tabascoman79

Post by tabascoman79 »

Rmrbullets.com is where I get most mine.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I have been using DG Bullets for years. Seems they are currently having trouble proccessing payments but they have always had great prices and super fast shipping

https://dgbullets.com/