Brass type matter with bulk 9mm reloading?

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
schiffer99
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Brass type matter with bulk 9mm reloading?

Post by schiffer99 »

Probably over-thinking this as for reloading hunting/precision rifle rounds I keep the brass (head stamp, brand, etc...) uniform.

But when doing a bulk reloading of 9mm, as long as I'm not going right up to max recommended loadings, it doesn't really matter if its an assortment of essentially range pick up brass right? For example, I have a mix of Winchester, PMC, speer, etc... brass. I'm good to just load them all the same with projectile, powder and primer?

Flash

Re: Brass type matter with bulk 9mm reloading?

Post by Flash »

That's correct. Don't worry about headstamp or any of that other stuff that we do when reloading precision rifle.

Three things to look out for with 9MM range pickup brass are berdan primers, crimped primers and some of the newer brass I'm seeing with large built up areas inside the case. Headstamps I've seen with this problem so far have been AMMOLOAD and Maxxtech. Those two end up with considerably less space inside the case and could push pressures up a lot.

They look like this inside:
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Flash wrote: July 18th, 2018, 11:46 am That's correct. Don't worry about headstamp or any of that other stuff that we do when reloading precision rifle.

Three things to look out for with 9MM range pickup brass are berdan primers, crimped primers and some of the newer brass I'm seeing with large built up areas inside the case. Headstamps I've seen with this problem so far have been AMMOLOAD and Maxxtech. Those two end up with considerably less space inside the case and could push pressures up a lot.

They look like this inside:
Foreign made cases and there are about 15 head stamps I have found on them. Idea behind them is less powder for same pressure.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I forgot to mention these cases tend to split right about the ridge when reloaded, can't tell you jow many times I have had to ream out a chamber to get it out.
Azbuilder

Post by Azbuilder »

Thanks for the pics.
I definitely need to keep an eye open for these.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

They did that to save powder? Seems like they're just trading cost of brass for powder.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

WOW - that is some weird looking brass. I did some searches and Maxxtech is manufactured in Bosnia ! Maybe the extra brass protects the case & shooter since their loading machines probably have powder drops that are not very accurate ?
Flash

Post by Flash »

It will increase pressure all right and pressure and velocity go hand in hand, so that's one way to do it.

OTOH, if you're running hot loads with a fast powder these might make life exciting for you.

Things like this are the reason why I look inside each and every case as I place the bullet on them prior to seating.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Yeah this is the kind of s*** that concerns me about automatic case and bullet feeders.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

WOW! Great pics, never reloaded 9mm, had no idea of these variations!

When I first looked at those cases with brass built up inside, I thought, WOW that should increase the case strength for unsupported chambers. Until the pressure remarks were posted. Seems like I would need a load data chart specific to those cases, to feel safe.

I have been loading with two single stage presses set up at my station for so many years that I don't think I could pull a trigger on a progressive loaded cartridge without closing my eyes and looking away. :D Just Kidding!

Seriously, I have reached the OCD level of control, that if I don't visually pass every cleaned case, every seated primer, every balance scale powder charge, every bullet seating depth and every crimp, I would quite loading.

Good info above!
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

AZ1 wrote: July 19th, 2018, 7:19 am Yeah this is the kind of s*** that concerns me about automatic case and bullet feeders.
We had to rework our 9mm case processing machines to find these cases as looking inside every case sucks major balls
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

shooter444 wrote: July 19th, 2018, 7:50 am WOW! Great pics, never reloaded 9mm, had no idea of these variations!

When I first looked at those cases with brass built up inside, I thought, WOW that should increase the case strength for unsupported chambers. Until the pressure remarks were posted. Seems like I would need a load data chart specific to those cases, to feel safe.

I have been loading with two single stage presses set up at my station for so many years that I don't think I could pull a trigger on a progressive loaded cartridge without closing my eyes and looking away. :D Just Kidding!

Seriously, I have reached the OCD level of control, that if I don't visually pass every cleaned case, every seated primer, every balance scale powder charge, every bullet seating depth and every crimp, I would quite loading.

Good info above!
It decreases case volume from 10-15% so a 10-15% load reduction is needed. Even with a reduction we still have cases separating and leaving half behind on extraction.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

storage_man wrote: July 19th, 2018, 6:17 am WOW - that is some weird looking brass. I did some searches and Maxxtech is manufactured in Bosnia ! Maybe the extra brass protects the case & shooter since their loading machines probably have powder drops that are not very accurate ?
There are a couple more companies that draw their brass the same way. It is not the same quality of brass as what I use for making cases. Looking at the cases under a microscope their brass is garbage. Even if they made them the same way we make ours it would never survive the number of loadings you get out of American made and drawn brass in 9mm. I have cases that I have been reloading since 91, only got about 100 of them I haven't lost but they still are good.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

338 what is the name of your company?
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

338lapua wrote: July 19th, 2018, 11:55 am It decreases case volume from 10-15% so a 10-15% load reduction is needed. Even with a reduction we still have cases separating and leaving half behind on extraction.

OK, but slightly puzzling, are you recommending a 10 to 15% reduction with any and all powders available for 9mm reloading?